1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Aaron Holiday stays with Rockets

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Snow Villiers, Jul 1, 2024.

1. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

I don’t see it that way.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I can see the posts now from just after the 2025 trade deadline: How come Holiday is still a Rocket? Stone is an idiot.
    I can see the posts now from just after the 2026 trade deadline: How come Holiday is still a Rocket? Stone is an idiot.

don grahamleone likes this.
  3. pmac

pmac Member

This is a fair deal for Aaron. He was a key rotation player on a .500 team. I think people don't understand how little $5MM is in today's nba. The vet min for 10+ year vets is $3.3MM so he's only getting less than $2MM more than some washed vets.

Also, even if this is 2 yrs guaranteed I wouldn't make any conclusions about future implications. The deal is so small it won't be the reason we can't make a deal next summer. And if needed, there are other teams that would jump at dumping a larger contract on its final yr at the deadline for 2yrs of Aaron at $5MM if we needed to dump him.

leebigez and sirjesse like this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I REALLY hope the second year is team option or non guaranteed because why the F would you eat into next summers cap space.

jch1911 likes this.
  5. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Holding out hope that a move like this is for depth purposes to support a 3 for 1 trade plus picks that see's the Rockets add a ready made young all-star player to pair with Green and Sengun.

6. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Very happy with it. Holiday is an excellent depth option who can step up when injuries occur.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

Confirmed 2nd year is a team option.

Another reason to fully expect NO EXTENSIONS for Alpi (or JG lol).

Stone is clearly maximizing optionality for next year, and tradeable assets for anytime between now and then.

8. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Y’all, chill. THE SECOND YEAR IS A TEAM OPTION. I swear, this board freaks out about everything.

IMG_4691.jpeg

9. Nook

Nook Member

I am indifferent to it.

I guess it is nice to have a player on the Rockets that actually wanted to remain with the team - for a few years there, everyone wanted out.

10. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Why are people upset about this?
    Players get injured and dinged up during the regular season.
    It's nice to have a decent player as insurance especially at $5M/yr.
    2nd year is also team option.
    This was a good signing

11. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

What are you talking about

Van-Vleet / Sheppard
    Jalen / Whitmore / Griffin / Williams*
    Brooks / Thompson / Tate
    Smith / Eason / Jeff
    Sengun / Adams / Landale / Dante*

* = 2-way

What is the ONE position we could use some depth at for the final roster spot? Sure isn’t center, or forward, or the wing…

We needed a 3rd string guard, who ideally could shoot and facilitate in case of injuries.

Holiday isn’t a natural facilitator… but this is a 3rd string role we’re talking about here, can’t expect the moon for 5 million with no guaranteed minutes.

#51 ThatBoyNick, Jul 1, 2024
    Last edited: Jul 1, 2024
  12. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Everyone will love Holiday and his 90% free throws at the end of close games. Never seen him miss a free throw with less than a minute in a game. Trust me, that has significant value on a team with Sengun and Jabrari.

13. PWR

PWR Member

That 2nd unit is going to win us a ton of games.

Reed Sheppard
    Aaron Holiday
    Amen Thompson
    Tari Eason
    Steven Adams

14. AB83Rules

AB83Rules Member

Apparently we used the BAE on Holiday, a 2yr $9.6M deal according to @BimaThug

15. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Uhhhh... Cam?

16. jogo

jogo Member

Holiday played really well for us last year. He gives FVV a break and played his role. Shot the ball well and pretty good defender. $5mill a year is nothing in today's NBA, there are probably players making $15 mil/per that aren't as valuable as he will be to the Rockets next year.

17. jch1911

jch1911 Member

18. duluth111222

duluth111222 Member

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They already have too many players worthy of minutes, so long as guys like Landale and Holiday are good with a Boban type role is fine I guess... but when you have too many players that deserve minutes and they want those minutes, it can lead to locker room problems