1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Restarting your Metabolism?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by emoreland, Sep 23, 2004.

1. emoreland

emoreland Contributing Member

I was talking with some of the guys who I ball with twice a week and usually im the best one out there LOL. These guys are getting better and I can tell that they are getting into shape. I ask them what they are doing different and they all tell me how they are restarting their metabolism. They are basically adjusting it so that they are losing weight and gaining more strength from their workouts and they arent as tired and they are going on and on about it. The only thing is...they want an advantage over me so they wont tell how they are doing it LOL.

I guess my question woud be is...how do you readjust your metabolism to have a higher one? Does anyone know?

2. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Where you play ball at. I play a couple times a week as well.

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I readjusted mine by...

1) Working out in the morning instead of afternoon/evening. That way my body is burning fuel ALL day and not just at night.

2) Eat Breakfast. The sooner you eat in the morning the sooner you start burning fuel and start up your metabolism. I ususally have one of those yogurt drinks.

3) I also started drinking coffee midmorning and the added caffine didnt hurt the process either. ;) It keeps the heart rate up a bit which helps the burning process.

Also, try eating a number of small meals each day instead of like 2 or 3 big meals. Dont have a huge dinner. The key is to wake up in the morning hungry. If you do that then you are on the right path.

I think by doing the above you can greatly alter your metabolism to work more efficiently.

Just my two cents. Good luck!

4. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

* Lean muscle is more 'expensive' for your body. It takes more work for the body to maintain it so it increases your metabolism. I.e., lift weights;

* Some of the weight-loss supplements include things like a caffeine/aspirin stack that elevate your metabolism and can keep it elevated (for 6-8 hours IIRC);

* A sufficient workout (include aerobic) can elevate your metabolism for a good part of the day also.

5. emoreland

In Midland, TX. I play at a private Christian High School.

You know...I hardly get the chance to eat breakfast so i bet that is why they can restart it.

6. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Where do you play? Is it indoor or outdoor?

7. Rocket G

Rocket G Contributing Member

Not this again...

This "jumpstarting your metabolism" stuff is a myth.
    Especially if by "metabolism" (a nebulous word at that) you mean
    the rate at which you burn calories. You cannot change the rate at which your body burns calories to any degree which would have an appreciable effect on weight loss.

You're either burning more calories b/c you are being more active, or you are not. That's it. Your "metabolism" is not some fuel burning oven that you can switch on & off. You can't jumpstart it so it "burns fat" faster, & then all of a sudden start losing weight by "metabolism" alone.

Want to know why those guys playing ball are losing weight? It's because they are exercising & not stuffing their faces w/ nachos grande every day.

Carl Lewis, sitting on his ass at home, is not burning calories at any rate greater than Camryn Manheim is doing the same damn thing. Why is one a ****** & the other not? Because Carl is eating right & being active, while Camryb is watching tv & shoving bon bons down her throat.

Weight-loss supplements don't "speed up your metabolism"either, they just suppress your appetite & give you a short boost of energy. You lose weight while on them b/c you are taking in less calories b/c of the appetite suppression.

Also, there's no such thing as "lean muscle." Muscle is muscle. There is no "fatty muscle." Adding muscle alone will not do **** for you. You still have to keep that muscle moving. Having more of it means you burn more calories, b/c it takes more energy for you to move that increased mass. You still have to do what? MOVE! You can be muscular as crap but if you don't move those muscles you & you sure as hell won't burn more calories than an active fat person.

Activity + reduction in calories = weight loss.

That's it.

All the coffee, small meals, etc in the world wont work if you are not exercising or are eating the wrong stuff. Real weight loss requires a change in lifestyle & thinking. Most people don't want to accept this. That's why there are so many rich supplement makers & diet book authors...

8. Cohen

:rolleyes:

Not this again is right...

The Katch-McArdle formula for Basal Metabolic Rate = 370 + (21.6 X lean mass in kg)

Read 'lean mass'; i.e. muscle. More muscle = Higher BMR.

9. pradaxpimp

pradaxpimp Contributing Member

Metabolism is the rate at which u burn calories. It is a definite possibility that people lose weight faster than others. Call it genetics.

One way to increase metabolism is to eat right, 5 meals a day, smaller portions, eat earlier and healthy. Exercising at certain times also helps, in the morning right after you wake up and right before you go to bed. But the aforementioned example of carl lewis and cameron manheim (sp) is a bad example. Carl probably eats more than Cameron and thus takes in more calories. Carl Lewis for a fact has a incredibly high metabolism conditioned through years of training.

It is possible to increase metabolism by increasing your activities earlier in the day and before you go to bed. One of the more popular formulas is to add muscle that will increase the rate of burning of calories throught the day. Like Bodybuilder with incredibly high metabolisms, they have to increase the food intake to outrageous amounts because of the quick rate that muscle burns calories even if ur sitting down.

10. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Aren't you the fudge guy? Maybe laying off eating that stuff for a while might help. LOL

11. Cohen

Might help :D

What's your bench up to now, bigtexxx?

12. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Drink a lots of ice cold water will speed up your metabolism as well.

13. emoreland

I dont have enough to eat...im selling this stuff faster than i can make it LOL I have to play basketball just so i can take my mind off of chocolate. Its pretty crazy right now...but i love it.

14. Stack24

I play ball anywhere i can but on my days off like Mondays and thursdays i will either play at 24 hour fitness at Voss or the Houstonian....im down to play wherever.

15. Sane

Sane Member

Since we're on this topic..... Has anyone here used a fat burner and seen results?

I lift weights 3 times a week and I was told that my muscles need rest.... So I can't lift weight and do cardio, while expecting to gain muscle and burn fat at a good rate.

No, patience is not an option anymore. At this point, I'm thinking about quitting weight lifting for a while, and doing swimming 3 times a week.

My other option is to take this fat burning or calorie burning or whatever stuff to lift weights and lose fat at the same time at a good rate.

16. Stack24

I have used them before and i tend to loose more weight when i take them and work out then when i don't. You see a rapid loss but not any loss in muscle, just fat is burned. Gives you a good amount of energy as well.

17. Sane

Sane Member

Could you give me some suggestions of what to use?

18. Stack24

I have used Ripped Fuel for a while liked that one. I am using one right now that is supposed to be good from what i read about it it's called Lean System 7.

There are a lot on the market at the moment that are metoblic enhancers that wil burn more fat than muscle. But Ripped Fuel was a really good one for me.

19. Sane

Sane Member

Thanks, I looked them up.

It seem Xenadrine is the most popular product right now. Can someone comment on why I should or shouldn't get it?

What about Hydroxycut?

I'm basically choosing between Ripped Fuel, Lean System 7, Xenadrine and Hydroxycut.

Oh, and I'm ordering online. Nothing to be worried about, right? (I live across the Middle East)

20. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I took Xenadrine a couple years ago, when the ephedra version was still on the market. The stuff really really works. I went from 252 to 210 in the span of about 3 months. It took about a week to get used to it because the ephedra will make you really jumpy, but you probably won't have that problem with the new stuff. Honestly I didn't even excercise all that much, maybe ran about 2 miles a week. I haven't tried the non-ephedra version but I have heard good things about it. I'd like to drop about 10 pounds so I think I'm going to try it out soon.

One thing I need to mention, I did greatly change my eating habits during the time that I lost all that weight. Basically just ate low fat food, lots of turkey, chicken, etc. I didn't worry about carbs or calories, just stayed away from saturated fat. I also drank lots of water which I think is always a big part of losing weight.

#20 Harrisment, Sep 24, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2004