1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Movie] Horizon - An American Saga

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Surfguy, Jun 27, 2024 at 10:27 AM.

1. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Let's start discussing this film with your thoughts going in, your thoughts during, and/or your thoughts going out.

This is a film by Kevin Costner so far having ponied up $38 million of his own money. Chapter 1 comes out on Friday, June 28th. Chapter 2 comes out in August. Chapter 3 has begun filming. Kevin is seeking new investors if anyone wants to chip in or gofundme or whatever. Chapter 4 is a ways off somewhere out on that horizon.

Is anyone planning on going opening day for Chapter 1? What are your early thoughts about the Saga? Do you really think it's going to do only $10 - $12 million opening weekend at least partly because it is 3 hours long?

Please post your thoughts and reviews here. This should be fun!

2. Buck Turgidson

I respect him for making his "passion project" happen.

Whether it'll be good or not I have no clue.

ROCKSS likes this.
  3. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Trailer didn't do much for me when I saw it originally, massive vanity project and early reviews for part 1 are middling at best.

Skipping these myself.....

A_3PO likes this.
  4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm hesitant to watch the first one because I'm not convinced the whole saga will be delivered.

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

tf, no trailer? Do better, fam

6. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

40% critics / 70% audience scores on Rotten Tomatoes so far.

7. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I'll beat this drum until I die- **** 'critic' scores; they've shown to have their own agenda and biases. I am more interested in the audience score, although that can skew to demographics of the movie so they're biased as well.

That said, the trailer makes the movie look a little dated by filmmaking standards, more like a movie made in the 1990s (almost like a parody). Not that it's a bad thing but there's a zeitgeist with media consumption that can make a different look/feel seem jarring. Sometimes it's revolutionary, sometimes it's your grandpa talking about how movies were better in his day.

ROCKSS and GRENDEL like this.
  8. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Love Kevin and I will eventually watch it but probably not at the theatre knowing I have to invest more time in 3 other movies that come out fairly quickly.......but I would binge it once it streams. I think he made a huge mistake not sticking with Yellowstone, it actually looks better then the movie trailer I have seen but you never know................