1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets acquire Suns picks, return Nets picks to Brooklyn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 25, 2024.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. Nook

Nook Member

It wasn't a horrible trade - Stone very seldom makes horrible trades.... It just wasn't as good as it should have been.

3. Landry's Tooth

Side thought of doing to warriors what we got with suns...

#3 + Brooks / Tate

For

chris paul (cut), 3 unprotected #1s, 2 pick swaps

They move Wiggins for backcourt depth and play Brooks and Green together.

Or, Klay leaves... we send them Green for future #1 unprotected and draft Reed to take his place at 3...

Just get them unprotected picks form old @ss teams...

4. megastahr

megastahr Member

thanks, nook this is basically what I’ve been trying to say since last night… This is correct. I also think they still take that New York overpay for bridges regardless when it comes down to it

Nook likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

It isn't really 4 high level assets.

It is three possible high-level assets for two all but certain to be high level assets.

It also doesn't address that they should have gotten more.

As for the 2027 pick swap, not so sure it actually enhanced the value of that pick swap because now the Nets can start their rebuild in 2024 and by 2027 will have lots of cap space to spend and assets. The assets that increased in value was the 2025 and 2026 picks. The 2027 pick swap is less certain. However I will give credit to the Rockets for managing to hold onto that one.

joshuaao, zeeshan2, napalm06 and 2 others like this.
  6. theDude

theDude Member

We are falling into that trap again of trying to decide which individual picks are going to be more valuable in which drafts. It doesn’t matter. We aren’t rebuilding and we have no plans on using those picks to draft players. They are strictly head counts that can be announced in a headline. Rockets Trade 5 First Round Picks for Player X. That’s all the team that is receiving them wants either. And the further out, the better.

Let’s say that the picks we exchanged with the Nets are the same ones from the original discussions, the only difference being the swap of Jalen for Bridges. I say there is a 95% chance that not a single player taken with the picks they get from the Knicks ends up being as good as Jalen. Once the Knicks lock Brunson, Bridges and OG in long-term, those picks will be a bunch of Josh Christophers, Tytys, Sam Dekker, Terrence Jones, etc. But they still hold more value than Jalen specifically because they aren’t tied to any certain player or draft spot.

The Nets will be drafting with their own picks and they will be using the Knicks picks to facilitate trades.

7. megastahr

megastahr Member

Who cares ? when have analysts been right about the Rockets? Also, they’re just happy the Nets have a path to being better. They don’t care about Houston. They don’t care about the Rockets…
    Feels more like a participation trophy than anything else.

8. dmoneybangbang

Call the Nets bluff… and then they don’t trade Bridges until the off-season or midseason? Nets have no reason to tank and could have made some short term moves this off season to be near the same level. Maybe they move Simmons expiring contract for an established vet(s)

Seems quite presumptuous that Stone just took this offer without countering or saying no thanks.

9. megastahr

megastahr Member

I’m happy to take a back seat and let nook cook… he’s doing way better of a job. Lol

10. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

What the hell are you talking about?

11. Nook

Nook Member

It does matter - because the value of the picks is based on the perceived likelihood of them being high in the draft and the quality of the draft as well.

So no - teams don't value all 1st rounders the same, and they don't value all drafts the same.

Having said that, it is possible that the 2027 and 2029 drafts end up being really strong, but it is too far out to know for certain.

The discussed trade of Bridges to the Rockets last year was an overpay as well - and it also helped set the standard for the Nets knowing how much or little the Rockets valued the Nets picks. That possibly influenced negotiations now.

Yeah - I am well aware that the Nets will be using their own picks. The Rockets let the Nets out of jail. Now the Nets can rebuild and maximize their future, at a cost, but at a cost that is lower than what they would have likely paid.

The Nets were completely at the mercy of the Rockets through 2027 if we are to believe the claim that Marks could not rebuild without his own picks back. According to that line of thought, the Nets would waste the next 3-4 years being mediocre and also turn down what will end up being 5-7 first rounders for Bridges, who is under contract for only two more seasons.......... that is INCREDIBLE leverage for the Rockets.

Oh well - I have given my opinion on it.

Rocketeer, theDude and Rileydog like this.
  12. megastahr

megastahr Member

I’m sorry but Ben is dumb and a homer. If you don’t understand that point, then that’s a you problem.

13. intergalactic

intergalactic Member

While I get the critique of not extracting more from Brooklyn, he did get additional hidden value, namely an identical leverage play on Phx in a couple years. It would be clearer that he knows what to do with such leverage if he had extracted more concrete value in this deal. But I am willing to give him the benefit of the doubt that he understands the Phx leverage.

OkayAyeReloaded and AceOfSpades like this.
  14. H. Christopher

Dubose is such a shill

15. megastahr

megastahr Member

the 2025 pick swap is worth more than everything thing we got now from them…period. That’s the point.

at the draft lottery next year, do you think if we gave back everything they gave us They would give us that pick back? The answer is no. A high chance at a generational talent like Wemby is worth more than everything they gave us plus

The coping is real here. Barring a secondary move, this was not a good trade

16. The Cat

The Cat Member

Can you explain what you disagree with so that we can talk it out like adults, as opposed to going for an ad hominem personal attack?

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.
  17. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Member
    Supporting Member

I dunno.... Brooklyn got quite the haul from the Knicks. They would have been stupid to not take that offer. I really want Shepard though. We need a shooter like him.

18. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I swear, the anti-Stone trolls on this site are so annoying. Anything that Stone does = bad. Anyone who agrees with what Stone does = homer. Just so dumb.

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.
  19. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

We're evaluating a trade which is based entirely around pick swaps.

20. megastahr

megastahr Member

I don’t know how to help you if you cant read. I was pretty clear.