1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Snopes] No, Trump Did Not Call Neo-Nazis and White Supremacists 'Very Fine People'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Jun 26, 2024.

1. jo mama

jo mama Member

that seems to be the argument. its really weird. again, theyre presenting it as if its some sort of "gotcha" when the transcript just reinforces what a scumbag trump is.

this changes nothing about the facts of what trump said. he said a group that included neo nazis and white supremacists who marched through the streets of an american city chanting "jews will not replace us" very fine people. that is a fact.

FranchiseBlade and fchowd0311 like this.
  2. jo mama

jo mama Member

where was the initial lie from the "fact checkers". can you post a link please?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Member

I don't know people like you believe people you disagree with are attached to some media outlet like it's our bible. **** on Snopes brah. Cook.

4. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

Welp, I guess I'm a Trump supporter now.

5. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

Did Snopes ever say anything to the contrary? I don't think so.

FranchiseBlade and jo mama like this.
  6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Editors' Note: Some readers have raised the objection that this fact check appears to assume Trump was correct in stating that there were "very fine people on both sides" of the Charlottesville incident. That is not the case. This fact check aimed to confirm what Trump actually said, not whether what he said was true or false. For the record, virtually every source that covered the Unite the Right debacle concluded that it was conceived of, led by and attended by white supremacists, and that therefore Trump's characterization was wrong.

Reporter: You said there was hatred and violence on both sides?

Trump: I do think there is blame — yes, I think there is blame on both sides. You look at, you look at both sides. I think there's blame on both sides, and I have no doubt about it, and you don't have any doubt about it either. And, and, and, and if you reported it accurately, you would say.

Reporter: The neo-Nazis started this thing. They showed up in Charlottesville.

Trump: Excuse me, they didn't put themselves down as neo-Nazis, and you had some very bad people in that group. But you also had people that were very fine people, on both sides. You had people in that group — excuse me, excuse me, I saw the same pictures as you did — you had people in that group that were there to protest the taking down of, to them, a very very important statue and the renaming of a park from Robert E. Lee to another name. George Washington was a slave owner. Was George Washington a slave owner? So will George Washington now lose his status, are we gonna take down — excuse me — are we gonna take down statues of George Washington? How about Thomas Jefferson? What do you think of Thomas Jefferson? You like him? Okay good. Are we gonna take down the statue? Cause he was a major slaveowner. Now are we gonna take down his statue? So you know what? It's fine. You're changing history, you're changing culture, and you had people — and I'm not talking about the neo-Nazis and the white nationalists, because they should be condemned totally. But you had many people in that group other than neo-Nazis and white nationalists, okay? And the press has treated them absolutely unfairly. Now, in the other group also, you had some fine people, but you also had troublemakers, and you see them come with the black outfits, and with the helmets, and the baseball bats, you got a lot of bad people in the other group too.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

You have zero evidences for what you stated.

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

What do you make of a POTUS being so misinformed/deluded that he said he wasn't talking about neo-Nazis and white nationalists, but in effect, he was?

9. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

This is the key point and why I have little problem with how the left spun it.

This was a white nationalist rally first-and-foremost, Robert E. Lee's statue was basically the Franz Ferdinand of Charlottesville.

Trump stumbled all-****ing-over-himself to disassociate and downplay the white nationalists involvement.

During that press conference Trump gave them a hall pass over and over again, until finally, mercifully, when pressed on it enough he relented and singled them out as bad actors.

This is a lesson in how not to address a problem.

The first thing that came out of his mouth should have been condemnation of the rally, its organizers, and its participants. The fact it was like getting blood from a stone to get him to condemn them is why he got so much **** and should continue to get **** about it. He covered for them at first, it was shameful and gross.

I'm sure the 6 people who were there because they genuinely only care about keeping the statue appreciate his overwhelming support. :rolleyes:

DFWRocket, mtbrays and Amiga like this.
  10. CCorn

CCorn Member

Some of them just thought “Jews will not replace us” was catchy and just joined in the chant for funszies.

11. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

Who on earth would pass up a free tiki torch?

CCorn likes this.
  12. Salvy

Salvy Member

WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS!!!!!!!! WE WORKED HARD FOR THAT LIE AND YOU COME AND FACT CHECK US????? RIGHT BEFORE THE DEBATE WITH AN ELECTION JUST AROUND THE CORNER???? YOU ARE A DIPSHIT MORON!!!!, PEOPLE MIGHT SEE THIS AND FIND OUT WE WERE LYING ABOUT EVERYTHING!!!!!!

[​IMG]

13. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Anyone that was there and didn't step out of the march when the "Jews will not replace us" chant started are not very fine people. Trump was also wrong about the alt-left. Nobody on the left murdered someone at the rally, which automatically puts the puts them many steps above the "Jews Will Not Replace Us" murderer side of things.

Trump deserves criticism for the words that he said and what he expressed including claiming there were very fine people on both sides.

But that isn't really surprising. What is surprising is that anyone would think the detail that he said neo-Nazis are bad somehow makes him saying there were very fine people on both sides an okay thing.

jo mama, DFWRocket and Amiga like this.
  14. DonnyMost

DonnyMost Membar
    Supporting Member

Reminds me of this.

"I said the neo-nazis were bad! that means I can say whatever I want! it's in the geneva convention, look it up!"

Amiga and FranchiseBlade like this.
  15. mtbrays

mtbrays Member
    Supporting Member

Robert E. Lee? The guy who ****ed his horse?

16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Member
    Supporting Member

my posts have all the earmarks of a Russian information operation

Salvy likes this.
  17. durvasa

durvasa Member

I appreciate fact-checking sites like Snopes. Some political bias in selection of which claims to fact check is bound to occur, same with selection of news stories by a news outlet. Good to call it out and be aware of it, though this selection bias can be difficult to characterize accurately without analyzing long-term patterns. Still, informative fact checks remain valuable, as are informative news stories.

18. AleksandarN

AleksandarN Member

edit. Nvm

19. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

This was just a pre-debate courtesy to Biden to not use the "both sides" gotcha because he would be on the wrong side of the fact check.

20. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Any leftist supporting these pro Hamas marches and encampments is at least just as bad as the right-wing assholes who shouted "Jews will not replace us".