1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Rockies @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 25, 2024 at 12:47 PM.

1. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

For this:
    In an acknowledgement today that he "personally" felt the Astros had gone too analytics-heavy under James Click, Jeff Bagwell said "there are certain things that go on that the numbers can’t explain. This game is played by humans, man. It’s not played by computers."

2. the shark

the shark Member

So in your opinion he needs to "apologize" for this? Good grief!!

It's something he believes and as Nook said Baggy doesn't have the power to change any of that. He shares his opinions and the ultimate decisions are made by Crane and now Brown.

Radricky likes this.
  3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

You're one of the dumbest posters in this forum.

4. Screaming Fist

I'm sure the sinker is helping him, but the picture is more complicated, imo. His 4S had a .302 xwOBA when he was getting crushed at the beginning of the season, which is pretty good for a 4S considering league average this year is ****ing .344 lol (people still need to reduce their usage of this pitch).

IMO, if you look at performance gains in xwOBA over the season, it's his curveball that was initially broken (.488 xwOBA in April compared to .117 in June) rather than his fastballs.

Houstunna likes this.
  5. Screaming Fist

Blame should be commensurate with responsibility which lies in the degree of authority someone has over a given decision. Bags is not the guy you want to listen to when making baseball ops decision and the far greatest sin committed in this entire tragedy was Crane making the choice (no one put a gun to his head on this) to listen to him.

Stephen66 likes this.
  6. Screaming Fist

I think "Bags on the rocks" is actually kind of funny to watch/listen to at times so long as the context of the game (i.e., we aren't losing) isn't grating. The pace of baseball allows for that kind of stuff without intruding all over the on field action, and is part of what makes the game unique, imo.

Houstunna and Wulaw Horn like this.
  7. Screaming Fist

That's good to hear about Brown. Arrighetti seems like a very bright and very coachable kid. Doesn't have Brown's tools (few do) but he's a maximizer.

8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

I have recanted from bad ideas before to people that are above me in the org chart even though they are the ones in charge. And folks at Union Station do say he does show up to work there nearly every day.

9. Wulaw Horn

Wulaw Horn Member

That’s why I am betting big on arrighetti being a solid pitcher for us for a long time

Screaming Fist likes this.
  10. Radricky

Radricky Member

11. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

I hate that we DH Diaz with no 3rd catcher.

12. Radricky

Radricky Member

Y'all stop b****ing about bagwell.
    Win today and a new season starts Friday in New York
    Lfg

13. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

We only had 2 or 3 hits after the 5 run 1st inning last night. Hopefully we take advantage of this lousy Rockies pitcher today.

14. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Can't Cooper Hummel catch?

15. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He can, but I don’t think he’s very good at it.

16. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Like Evan Gattis

still, better than nothing. We do this without Hummel on the team too.

17. PhiSlammaJamma

Our shocking turn of events could only be outdone now by a Nolan Ryan appearance on General Hospital as a Villian. I want it ABC. Make it happen.

18. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

Not to nitpick I thoroughly enjoyed the game. But I am concerned as well that we turned it off after that big first inning. Would have preferred that we poured it on and built a bigger lead and stomped out any hope on their part of a comeback. Thank God Pressly got that double play in the eighth. It was getting dicey and brought back flashbacks of a time earlier this year we all would like to forget.

Houstunna and Tomstro like this.
  19. Radricky

Radricky Member

someone post the sit down gif

ryan_98 likes this.
  20. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Why would anyone apologize for a statement that is true? I don't recall the context of all of it, but the statement you quoted is as true as the sun is hot.