1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets acquire Suns picks, return Nets picks to Brooklyn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 25, 2024.

1. roslolian

roslolian Member

That's what CF said when Harden got traded to Brooklyn.

BigMaloe, zeeshan2, joshuaao and 3 others like this.
  2. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

I'll play devil's advocate. Yes, the Brooklyn picks just got much better without Bridges. But complaining that we've lost out on that future is a moot point as Brooklyn doesn't trade Bridges unless they get their own picks back.

It was either betting on Brooklyn being mediocre for two years or the Suns being Mediocre for three, that's not a bad move, especially come 2029 when the team will be in it's prime, that Suns pick will be huge.

All this is irrelevant if those picks are used to trade for KD, in which case the front office are total morons.

roslolian, glynch, theDude and 4 others like this.
  3. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'd much rather have given the Nets this year's #3 and held on to next year's swap, but there's no guarantee they'll be bottom-5 bad next year.

4. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

Looks like the Rockets probably won’t win another championship within your lifetime either. 1995 was 30 years ago.

5. Nook

Nook Member

The deal has actually been brought up before - the Rockets want to push the date the picks are realized down the road so they can hold onto it longer.

Deuce, BigMaloe, DaDakota and 8 others like this.
  6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

If this was contingent on the Bridges trade then ive got no issue with this trade. Really, i dont think its a huge deal either way.

Brooklyn maybe couldve gotten better this season by trading Simmons expiring. Definitely couldve gotten better next off season when he came off the books.

Plus other factors that've been covered as well.

Could end up being a good trade. We'll see.

BigMaloe, Corrosion, dawesome and 3 others like this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

I prob got 50 more years so I'm good. Unfortunately Presti exists and works for OKC. Might have to wait till he grows old and falls off.

8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Yeah I honestly don't care. As long as its not our own picks going out it's completely whatever to me. I'll worry about the value of the picks when the time comes.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  9. thekad

thekad Member

2025 BKN -> 2025 PHO - Massive downgrade
    2026 BKN -> 2027 PHO - Downgrade, time value, uncertainty of draft class
    +2029 PHO - Completely uncertain what the value of this is
    +2029 PHO/DAL swap (least favorable)- this is basically nothing

Stone took a huge loss in asset value for a scratch off in 2029. Mismanagement.

ashleyem likes this.
  10. danoman

danoman Member

This is probably a decision based on Udoka. I don’t think he wants to develop all these kids. And would rather win now.

So they had to kick this can further down the road.

11. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

What a massive disappointment, Stone mishandled this

12. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I remember a lot of people hated the Harden trade at first too and called most of the picks worthless.

I can understand folks not liking the trade though. But im not sure that this is a fireable offense. I guess we'll see if the gamble pays off.

roslolian likes this.
  13. Holybats

Holybats Member

Liked the trade.Expecting all of the picks will be traded. So 4>2. And 2027 Swap with BKN is also more valuable trade asset now.
    I expect 2024 #3 is also traded.

roslolian and ilias like this.
  14. hakeemthagreat

Yes and the same idiots are criticizing Stone now, while celebrating our newly assembled young roster

15. hakeemthagreat

Then want to say Stone got lucky lol

roslolian likes this.
  16. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

He did not look good this past year and he looked really old in the playoffs. People are already talking about trading Tari, Jalen, and all of their picks back for KD who has one foot in retirement, smh.

17. nigma2000

nigma2000 Member

wait did we become all of a sudden the OKC Thunder rest stop? Harden, Westbrook, and now maybe Durant. Is Ibaka still in the league?

Nook likes this.
  18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Just had a thought. What if the Rockets trade #3+ to Portland for 7 and 14 only to use them in a trade for Durant/Butler/George?

19. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

Overall I give the deal a B-. Agree with the principle, I like keeping the 2027 swap, and I think the deal on its own is a net positive.

Huge caveat is that I can’t understand how we didn’t have leverage to get 1 more draft asset here. The 28 PHX swap or the 27 PHI pick. Between NYK, BKN, and us, we should have had by far the most leverage - the other two parties need us to execute their core strategic plan on a deadline, we could have waited. Underwhelming negotiation IMO, but the end result is fine enough.

If we use these picks for an all in win now trade for an over 30 star that isn’t homegrown and won’t win us a championship — I’ll adjust my grade to an F and assume the worst about this franchise under current ownership. Don’t think that will happen though. I think Woj was editorializing with the KD stuff.

Very curious what happens with #3 tomorrow. Surely if they wanted to move it for future draft equity it would have been included in this trade - BKN has infinite future picks and reportedly wants to get into this draft.

Obviously I want us to make the pick. Does the FO want to? Is there a contingent deal out there better than what Brooklyn was offering?

Agent94 and Aruba77 like this.
  20. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Great a bunch of 35 year olds

coachbadlee likes this.