1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rockets acquire Suns picks, return Nets picks to Brooklyn

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., Jun 25, 2024 at 9:12 PM.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

jch1911 likes this.
  2. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

I hope I am too! But whether I am or not, whether the Rockets are or not, what I'm flabbergasted at is the amount of posters here and across other spaces who can't see the clear logic behind this trade

mikol13, Saeculum, Rustyrig and 3 others like this.
  3. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I remember when all these Brooklyn picks were useless when we got them.

I get why people aren't thrilled with the trade, but it's kind of silly to confidently say this trade will be terrible.

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

This. I’m laughing my ass off at this thread people are so clueless. Thankfully Rockets have an analytics department and they believe in math and don’t give a sht that “they just got the #3 pick from bkn”. Reality is that if they finish at the same spot next year they have a 4.5% chance at Cooper Flagg. And that’s before the Nets upgrade their roster with cap space and the phx picks. Nets were on a mediocre trend mill with no path to bottoming out and becoming terrible enough for us to pick high, just because we lucked out this year does not mean the odds arent still heavily against it. Meanwhile PHX is on course to implosion looking at their cap sheet and player age, their path to high picks is just keeping their current course.

Also we just massively upgraded our 2027 nets swap, you are underselling that. The entire point of this trade is for the nets to bottom out the next two years, they will purposely become awful to maximize the picks they just got back. There’s no way they will bounce back in a mere two years, so that 2027 pick will be premium, where as before it was going to remain mediocre.

Y2JT, BigMaloe, Icehouse and 16 others like this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

So if a player demands a trade the team must trade him no matter what? Bridges under contract for 2 more years whats he gonna do? Cry and forfeit his salary?

You also forget Nets could trade him for win now players like Donovan Mitchell instead of just picks. Nets wont blow it up as long as we have their picks, they'll do what they can not to suck even if it means signing mid players. If you think its a bad trade you didnt understand the trade.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

As silly as it is to confidently say it’s great and that if you don’t agree with that you’re a simpleton.

AuburnRocket likes this.
  7. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Did I say that?

Saeculum likes this.
  8. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I think perhaps you're being unfair on the 2025 swap.
    I'll wait to see the phrasing, but my guess is that it folds into the OKC swap. In a scenario where, between the 3 teams, OKC is 1st, PHX 2nd and HOU 3rd, OKC would take our picks, and then we would take PHX, relegating them to the back of the pack.

2029 is a long ways off, and a lot of things can happen. But we basically banked the best 2 of our own, PHX and DAL picks. Out of the three teams mentioned, we will have the best 2 picks in the first round of that draft. It doesn't matter whose they are - we get the best 2 of the 3.

roslolian likes this.
  9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Think harder, I’m sure you will figure it out

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

These are the same guys saying we traded Harden for nothing since the Nets have 3 hall of famers and gonna win 5 rings straight.

11. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Just logged in and started reading through this thread and can't believe it took until page 4 to see someone understand that BKN probably needed us to agree to this to make the trade with the Knicks to trade Bridges.

We're in much better position with overall draft capital than we were going into this evening. Like not even close.

BamBam, Saeculum, HoustonCRT and 2 others like this.
  12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Stone really can’t walk away winning a trade so he went back to his best trade to make it worse

13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

Everyone is being unfair on the 2025 Phoenix swap. Chances are they'll be better than the Nets would have been, but they have no depth, no room to add any depth, and are banking on a 36 year old KD and an oft-injured Bradley Beal. At the least it'll move us up from the OKC pick but at best they are some bad injury luck away from slipping into the lottery themselves

CKent and Saeculum like this.
  15. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

No, you didn’t

Saeculum likes this.
  16. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

I don't think there will be any Durant or Booker trades coming up. There isn't enough salary to make it work.

17. foh

foh Member

folks are just surprised at how much better Nets look compared to what they thought about that organization and its GM and also wanted to get a proven asset instead of a variable asset in Bridges (and not pay any extra picks at that). Seeing how Nets got 6 picks for the dude is a shock to a lot of folks, I'm guessing.

18. TimDuncanDonaut

19. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Stone did a big favor for theNets

20. TriumVirate

TriumVirate Member

Sure, but just getting two extra picks is worth it especially when they are Suns/Mavs 2029 picks

robbie380 likes this.