1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Orioles @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 21, 2024.

1. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

*Kawhi laugh*

Radricky likes this.
  2. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Yordan has underachieved all year. Dude should have mid 20s for HRs by now.

3. Houstunna

Houstunna Mr Graphix
    Supporting Member

That's a lofty standard. Besides Yordan's rookie year, he has never paced 50 HRs in a season..

He has underachieved this season (like 90% of the team) but he's hit 2 HRs and increased his OPS since he returned -- which is what started this conversation.

The season isn't over yet, and the entire team will likely play better. The 20-ton anchor with a terrible goatee is gone.

4. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

It's more than a coincidence that we are 21-12 without JBreu on the roster and 17-28 while he was on the roster. So thankful that the Jbreu drama is over. Even with fill in players assuming his role at first base it is amazing how much better the team functions. He was such a distraction.

5. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. Let's pray about this some more, Brother Houstunna. All will be well with 10 Hail Mary's and 5 Our Father's.

Radricky and Houstunna like this.
  6. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Member

What a great series, hoped we would sweep but was not banking on it........Great Job Astros

7. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

Robert is batting .191

8. Nook

Nook Member

Depends on who you ask in the White Sox organization.
    Yeah - in under 100 at bats and last year had a big year.

Im not pushing to get him or not get him. I’m saying the Astros GM wants him.

Because of where I live, I am well aware of his pluses and negatives.

9. 13 in 33

13 in 33 Member

Sure he did, he will not be superhuman every single game.

Should we be worried about him? No, I don't believe so. Since his lackluster May with only 2 RBIs, he has put together a very strong June and skyrocketed his OPS to 0.877. The bar is so high for Yordan because of what we have seen him done. His play is trending upwards. My money is on him carrying this offense in the 2nd half.

10. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

The League has Targeted Yordan Alvarez and Kyle Tucker all Season with substitute Left Handed Pitchers to Face Yordan and Kyle.

It is League Wide and it won't stop. Expecting 50 Home Runs seems impossible with the Amount Left Handers he and Kyle Tucker are Facing.

Kyle Tucker struggled in the beginning of the Season than became better as the season went on and was the Home Run Leader until Kyle injury, Aaron Judge took over.the Home Run Lead.

11. SuraGotMadHops

Exactly. Forgive me, maybe it's Abreu PTSD but I'm just not thrilled to acquire anybody from the White Sox, let alone one that has played like crap with hope he'll turn it around...I think we've seen this movie before. At least Abreu only starting sucking after we got him, but give up assets for a guy who's coming in already sucking? No thank you.
    I'm good with where we are on outfielders. Plus Leon and Whitcomb (who's playing more OF lately) are ready to contribute, if needed.

Trading for a guy hitting .195 is "back of baseball card" bs. Let's get smart.

seemoreroyals, Stephen66 and IBTL like this.
  12. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

Alright, everyone is taking concerns for Yordan is out of proportion. No one is expecting Yordan to get multi-hits EVERY game. No one is expecting to hit a homerun EVERY game. No one is expecting Yordan to avg. 0.350 for the rest of the season. Well maybe some people do but I don't.

What I'm worry about Yordan is his avg. with RiSP. He's only avging 0.190 with RiSP. As a top of the lineup hitter, the team need you to be better than 0.190. So far, Yordan has GiDP 8 times this year. He had a total of 9 GiDP last year. Career high is 16 dating back to 2021. We need him to drive in runs not killing a rally.

He is also swinging out of the zone more than often as of late. Low and outside. High and outside. High FB. Sometimes he would just stare at middle middle ball after being behind on the count.

Again, I'm not expecting him to put up Ohtani numbers. Just need him to put ball in play ala Dubon style. What's funny is that Dubon asked Yordan to help his swing in 2022 offseason and he's better than Yordan with RiSP this year lol.

seemoreroyals likes this.
  13. SamCassell

SamCassell Member

Strongly agree. The Astros are second in outfield WAR for the season, to the Yankees. And there's no other team particularly close. They are blessed with great options across the board in those spots and, if improvements are sought, there are other places to look. Particularly, starting pitching and 1B.

14. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

To be fair he is coming off an injury and doesn’t even have 100 AB yet. Also on a near 50 home run pace.

The coming off an injury part is more concerning. Guy hasn’t been able to stay healthy.

15. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

I'm more worry he will follow Tatis, O.Martinez and the other substance abusers.

16. Buck Turgidson

Wouldn't that be the exact opposite of "back of the baseball card bs"?

17. Nick

Nick Member

Exactly.

And when the Astros are making moves that are more analytically driven (not playing small ball, swinging at first pitch strikes, so and so batting 4th despite low batting average), people are actually "looking to the back of the baseball card" to suggest alternatives, and yet simultaneously deriding that line of reasoning because its cool to be anti Bagwell....

Htown Stros, Buck Turgidson and Nook like this.
  18. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Actually here the company line with you and a few others is that Bagwell is completely blameless. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle. Nobody really knows, but people want to create narratives.

19. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member

His average has dropped every year since 2021

seemoreroyals likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

What if there isn't a first baseman available that can really help?

What if the cost of a starter that is competent is the same as an improvement in the outfield in the short and long term?

What if the Astros move an outfielder on the roster for a starter and then get an outfielder in a separate deal?