1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

1. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So the one thing that has me wondering is that Castle’s camp has been radio silent since the “Point guard” rumor came out. Has anyone heard about him working out for any teams at all? I almost wonder if the Rockets have said “you’re our guy” if he falls to 3 and Reed/Clingan are the backup options.

(Cut due to me somehow forgetting there are 2 not 3 picks taken before the #3 pick. Sunday morning brainfart).

Regardless, if we have a repeat of 2022 (where the Rockets didn’t have clear 2nd and 3rd choices once Paolo was off the board), then I will be resigning myself to a lot more bad FO decisions for the rest of Tillman’s ownership.

#121 subtomic, Jun 23, 2024 at 12:29 PM
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2024 at 12:37 PM
  2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Unlikely, the brick Castle did not do a workout for the Rockets, but did do a workout for the Spurs and others. It's pretty clear he doesn't want to be here.

At 3, one of Sheppard or Clingan will definitely be there though.

3. j@amc

j@amc Member

Many things could still happen, but I like the kind of talent available in this draft. They seem like more than serviceable options. Trading from our core group to create space for a new player makes sense.

If Detroit wanted to move up, maybe we could partner with them. They are desperate to find scoring on the wing.

Why not try #3 + Jalen for #5 and a future top 2 protected pick?

4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

That would surely depend on what the Rockets think of Jalen. I see no indication that Ime or the FO is interested in moving Jalen. Especially for a high pick in this draft. The pick next year if unprotected would be something to consider, because that particular draft class is viewed one of the best in a decade (Wemby excluded). I think the Rockets are moving into win now and are really fishing for a vet this year or the assets to offer for Giannis when he inevitably demands a trade in a year or two.

5. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

Rudyc281 and zeeshan2 like this.
  6. DCRocket

DCRocket Member

I’m curious how udoka views grant williams from charlotte. A 3 for 5 swap that includes Williams and a future pick from hornets would be nice. Williams did play under udoka before.

7. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

‘Definitely’? Breaking news as pre/draft rumor mongers suggest that definite is definitely indefinite.

8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Ok, and yes. Did well when Ime was his coach. However, GW had a grand ‘revival’ in Charlotte and a deal seems miles and miles apart.

9. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, definitely. Sarr is going #2, the #1 can only pick one guy, so at #3 that means either Clingan or Sheppard will be there.

11. JohnWoo713

JohnWoo713 Member

Long term, the core needs a rim protector, sniper, backup point and starting point. We have #3 this year with Reed, Rob, Knecht, Carter, Ware and Clingan as the top prospects to fill in those roles. Personally would love to get Rob and Ware at 7 and 14. Maybe trade down from 7 as teams want to move up for Devin Carter as Rob should still be available.

The future core will look like
    ___/Rob
    Green/___
    Amen/Cam
    Bari/Tari
    Sengun/Ware

Next year’s draft can be used to fill in one of the final sports. Harper or Traore would be perfect but if we land edgecombe, ace or flagg, amen would have to start at point giving a taller lineup. The core will look & be great plus very possible to obtain with bird rights and rfa if Tillman wants to pay. We still would have more draft picks of the future to trade for bigger stars or replace some of the guys we refuse to pay.

larry cook likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Dillingham is kind of like a smaller version of Sheppard who is worse at basically everything.

13. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

It's almost like the widespread fan belief that Sheppard's a generational, next level talent don't seem to be shared by the actual GM's and FO's in the league. :rolleyes:

No Worries and HoustonCRT like this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Sure but he’s still going top 5. Spurs probably get him if we don’t

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I want us to take him, I'll be very annoyed if the Spurs get him tbh. However, the melodrama with **** like "I can't believe we'd pass on a prospect the caliber of REED SHEPPARD" like seriously though? The caliber that'd be a late lottery pick in a typical draft? It's beyond ridiculous at this point, the herd-think echo chamber mentality is fascinating to watch tbh, within a couple of months this kid's gone from a relative nobody to CP3 and Curry's lovechild lmao.

16. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

What is your understanding of the information he is conveying there?

The NBA trade scene is fluid and involves lots of discussions. What he told us definitively there was Jalen not getting traded (tick)
    There was to be no blockbuster expected (tick), and then there were possible movers and possible targets. Take it for what it is worth, but ch44 has displayed reliability over a long period - the possible parts don't always happen, and that is life.

If the Rockets don't trade back this draft, that doesn't mean this current intel is bad....

Richie_Rich, evo8lover and Dobbizzle like this.
  17. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I wish more people would try that, TBH.

18. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Enough with the Spurs. They can't take everyone we don't pick and just because they're Spurs doesn't turn them into Duncan/Ginobili/Parker. Bunch of fraidy cats round here.

19. evo8lover

evo8lover Member

If we trade down I’d imagine we go to 9 n get a shooter in kennard from Memphis n then take a big or bpa

Crashlanded19 likes this.
  20. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

I.D.I.O.T. @Os Trigonum