1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    It's time for the second round of the Draft! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room at 3:00pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #44?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Woj] Chicago Trades Alex Caruso for Oklahoma Josh Giddey

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Mr. Dominant, Jun 20, 2024.

1. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Btw OKC just ripped off Chicago. I dunno what kind of Jedi mind trick Presti does but he keeps getting away with these trades.

I don't even get this for Chicago. First of all a straight swap? OKC has picks coming out of their ears Chicago couldn't even get 1? Even a swap so it feels better even if it will never convey lol wtf. Secondly didn't Coby White just break out for them? Way to reward him by playing him next to a nonshooting defensive liability. They were even supposed to get Lonzo Ball back but now they'd rather buy him out. Giddey will also be a free agent so ironically now Chicago has to pay him his money otherwise they just lost Caruso for nothing.

It's a small trade but arguably one of the worse trades in the last couple years. Like not franchise damaging but a stupid one nonetheless.

3. Jontro

Jontro Member

oh shiii... okc rebuilding again

Salvy likes this.
  4. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

I fr think the league’s best game plan against Sam Presti’s sorcery is to not trade any picks from him. Let him pick them all. Let them rot in broad day light. Let him cut half of his team.

5. JumpMan

JumpMan Contributing Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

This happens on 2K. :cool:

6. roslolian

roslolian Member

As long as they think it'll make their team better teams will keep trading with OKC.

7. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I’m surprised because Chicago is trading the better player and OKC has a ton of picks. Why they didn’t demand a pick is ridiculous.

roslolian, B-Bob, j@amc and 2 others like this.
  8. Rokman

Rokman Member

Gotta be happy if you're an OKC fan, thinking, Presti, you magnificent b*stard, you've done it again!

roslolian, daywalker02 and clos4life like this.
  9. NewAge

NewAge Member

Reminds me of a similar story years ago when I was with my kid in Seattle: same franchise, different city…
    So, during the national anthem the whole arena being respectfully silent, when I let out a massive roar during “rockets red glare", and all eyes were on us…

10. clos4life

clos4life Member

Only Morey has been able to fleece Presti, and then Fertits forces him to make the Westbrick-CP3 trade. No wonder Morey left.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Thought they were getting Alex and Dermar for more assets. DRozan would have been the midrange option they sought.

Caruso is a defensive ace for certain.

roslolian likes this.
  12. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

He is the best GM in the NBA, but this trade does not really show that IMO. He drafted Giddey #6 a few years ago, and now just traded him for an un drafted 30 year old who is often injured. Caruso has been a solid two way player, and may end up having the better career, but i think this actually shows that Presti screwed up in the draft more than anything.

Plowman likes this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I think they got rid of Giddey partly because of his off-court issues.

14. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

While this is true, admitting you screwed up early and moving to fix that before the asset loses value is a mark of an even better GM. Giddey still might end up being better than Caruso one day but OKC doesn't really have the time to find out now that they already just finished 1st in the west and have a very solid core. Wemby is still looming in the background and might accelerate the plans of these up and coming teams.

15. JW86

JW86 Member

This feels like another mistake by the Bulls front office and the result of having a terrible owner. No way anyone can say this was a good trade for the Bulls with a straight up swap. They should've at least gotten a good pick out of this deal. But I am convinced Presti just gets what he wants and is most likely great at personal relationships and staying friendly with almost every other team in the league, since he rarely if ever had to overpay and never had to give up anything to get a deal done 90% of other teams would've needed to.

B-Bob likes this.
  16. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not really understanding those individuals such as yourself that believe either team made a mistake, in your case the Bulls. The Bulls are going nowhere fast and Josh Giddey, despite some of his shortcomings, is still a very capable basketball player that still has the potential to improve. Caruso is in his prime, and even though he is a very good role player, he is not necessarily going to net you a high return. I think the Bulls likely had the opportunity to trade him to another team for some late FRPs but they found a deal with OKC with a young guy that still has potential. Late FRPs may not net you a Josh Giddey. He's had solid stats since his rookie year, so I don't get how this is negative for the Bulls.

If Giddey's issues are truly behind him, then he should be a pretty good player for Chicago, while they start their rebuilding process. OKC on the other hand did a great job getting a valuable role player that's going to be very good for their team as they look to strengthen around their core. A team would usually not trade a Josh Giddey for Alex, but in this case, because the Thunder are in a different stage of their rebuild, this trade made absolute sense for them. I know Josh was a 6th pick, but I don't think he's been a bust, in fact, he's produced for OKC for multiple years and was part of this team's winning formula. Sure, he sucked in the playoffs and is a defensive liability, but once again, still has potential. It's a solid trade for both teams.

17. JW86

JW86 Member

How is it not?
    1. Bulls ownership refused to trade him during the season for good picks, so why now?
    2. They still have DeRozan and Lavine, so what's the direction here?
    3. Caruso is entering his last year, so would've made a great trade chip if they are still intent on "trying" to contend.
    4. Giddey is going to give them what exactly? That's the best they can get? They are a treadmill team, on the lower end of both offense and defense.
    5. If this is the best they can get and considering how early into the off-season it is, timing is questionable.
    6. The deal itself is an L in terms of not getting more for Caruso, not in the least one solid pick.

TimDuncanDonaut and StoneBall like this.
  18. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

I honestly don't get these takes. Fleeced? Sure Caruso is an amazing role player but just a few seasons ago most were applauding OKC for taking what looked to be a future star in the making for them. Unfortunately for him, this 3 point shot that alludes most of these 6'6" oversized PGs did not come to fruition.

Sure is Caruso's value a bit higher atm, probably so, but Giddey in Chicago will shine with guys like White and Derozan providing perimeter scoring while he is the main facilitator.

I don't see why Chicago was due to draw back any picks for a Giddy/Caruso swap. It's a great trade for both teams imo.

Plowman and NewAge like this.
  19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

QUESTION: When does Presti get the Elusive Championship?

Rocket River
    He has to cash on in

20. NewAge

NewAge Member

Yes and no. Giddey showed flash, but that proved to be a mirage. I was one of those who were initially impressed, but eventually the impact was just not there and in fact was negative sometimes. It's a reclamation project now, which may work as you say, but the odds are low. Caruso, however, may also be slightly overrated at this point....

FLASH21 and Rocket River like this.