1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ White Sox

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 18, 2024.

1. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Why?

other than it being harder doing it in the AL East

2. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Just take the Dodgers as an example of how hard it is to win in the playoffs consistently. What we have pulled off is incredible, especially in the era with the new draft rules.

The fact they are in the AL east just makes it even harder, especially with the new playoff rules where the wild card team is having to play an extra series and it’s best of three where anything can happen.

Radricky and Snake Diggit like this.
  3. raining threes

LMAO

ROCKSS likes this.
  4. raining threes

Crane needs to get Tucker signed long term.

ROCKSS and Houstunna like this.
  5. raining threes

Loperfido was hitting .313 when he was sent down. Hopefully he can stay hot and take over at 1st for Singleton. I also would like to see Cabbage and McCormick platooning in LF if Dana isn't going out to get a Martinez type guy with Alvarez playing more in LF. Adding a bat like Martinez and getting Tucker back while Bregs is on a hot streak would mean so much to this team. Wonder if the Dodgers would do a straight up Pressly for Martinez trade?

6. PhiSlammaJamma

Veterans need to protect the kids this weekend

SWTsig likes this.
  7. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

J.D. Martinez ??

He plays for the Mets (not Dodgers) currently, right?

raining threes likes this.
  8. raining threes

Brain fart

Houstunna likes this.
  9. Houstunna

Supporting Member

He would be a nice homecoming.

Can he play 1B??

Singleton is a decent story, but he's not the answer.

Would hate to see Pressly leave -- he's been great overall for Houston. His suckage this season seems 90% mental. Dude gets demoted, then struggles -- but during save opportunities, he's damn near perfect. Go figure.

Abreu can be moved to 8th innings, and 7th's can be Montero or a few other options already on the roster. Astros have several bull-guys having great seasons, but they haven't mostly been high leverage. I'd rather take the risk for a significantly upgraded bat.

ROCKSS likes this.
  10. raining threes

Give me both and a solid OF like Taylor Ward, Grossman etc... shouldn't be that expensive. I would give up 2-3 top prospects for Mason Miller. That guy's a stud and isn't a rental.

Houstunna likes this.
  11. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

I’d rather not gamble on a rookie that strikes out as much as he does at 1B if we are really trying to contend. That said, I’d like to see him brought up and given a chance at 1B now so we can see what we have. I’m guessing it’s better than Singleton.

lf he hits well, I think a platoon with Loperfido and Chas makes sense while we still add at 1B. If he struggles, I don’t mind the idea of someone like Martinez if we are comfortable with Yordan playing LF the majority of the time and Chas hasn’t start to hit before the deadline.

raining threes likes this.
  12. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Not even a little bit. J.D. is a DH only bat. No more getting Yordan or Yainer at bats at DH. No more resting a guy in the field but still letting them hit.

J.D. can still swing the bat, though. Unless he falls off rapidly like Abreu did. He's one year younger than Jose.

Houstunna likes this.
  13. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Good call

In that case, J.D. would *not* be a good transaction. Adding him -- even with an 800 OPS -- would instantly handicap the team. I wouldn't want Yordan in the outfield 100+ games instead of Chas or somebody like Loperfido -- defense suffers and more injury risk.

SamCassell likes this.
  14. Stephen66

Stephen66 Member
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Tino Martinez

Houstunna likes this.
  15. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Maybe Pedro...

20240621_131835.gif

Stephen66 likes this.
  16. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

17. raining threes

There are less than 100 games left and Pressly has put them in a position that if Yordan has to play LF 70 or so of those games so that Dana can add a big bat like Martinez then that's an injury risk that needs to be taken. They've got 7 games they have to makeup so they've gotta throw caution to the wind. IMHO

Houstunna likes this.
  18. Houstunna

Supporting Member

I understand your sentiment. It would be great to add an 800 OPS bat to the offense.

It just seems JD's lack of *any* defensive ability handcuffs the team too much.

I'd rather take our chances with current players on the roster before giving up prospects for a guy who is DH-only on a team that needs DH in rotation for too many other players.

19. raining threes

Luckily, I dont think it will take more than a mid tier prospect to get Martinez.

20. Buck Turgidson

Just Pressly?