1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Houston Rockets options with the #3 pick of the 2024 NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 21, 2024.

1. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

I like Sarr as a project as well and he is not a bad fit with either, but it is a giant leap to trade one of those guys for Sarr and no GM in their right mind would do it. There is a pretty decent chance he falls to us, but I doubt it. I would give up #3 and one of the future Nets picks lottery protected for him with conversion to two second round picks if not executed.

2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Trade Jalen for the number 1 pick and draft Sarr and Sheppard.

DD

3. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

What would Atlanta do with Jalen? Your irrational impatience for Jalen is trumped only by your irrational patience for KPJ.

4. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Are you saying they don't want him? Why ever not?

DD

5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

Trae and Murray

6. nejyh

nejyh Member

Total agreement. Not that we project Saar to be a superstar, he would complement the frontcourt perfectly. Coach would have so much system flexibility, and even if nobody becomes a superstar, this so young team should be competitive for a decade Larry Brown's Pistons style where the true star was the team.

7. nejyh

nejyh Member

Don't wanna loose any valuable asset to trade up either, only if lady luck bring him to the Rockets reach...
    Anyway, Reed or Risacher will be a very nice consolation price as they project to be very good pros, with skills that should complement the Rockets very well.

8. prs325

prs325 Member

I have a feeling a #1 to #3 swap is in the works involving Sarr and Clingan

9. Rokman

Rokman Member

Is that your 6th sense or Intel?

saleem likes this.
  10. saleem

saleem Member

I believe everything is a huge smokescreen right now. Atlanta can select Clingan with the 1st pick if they wish. They should easily ask for Jabari at the very least in order to trade Saar to Houston. That would be a no no for me.

NewAge likes this.
  11. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

There's a lot of smoke screens everywhere.

On Saar: as plenty of folks have pointed out, the risk of him is that he ends up being a 4 on defense and a 5 on offense, even if he's pretty good on both sides in that regard that's not a true needle mover. He's kinda thin and didn't rebound well, and his offense game is interesting for a center but not as much for a 4, like you'd almost certainly bet Jabari will have a higher career 3pt% over him by a decent margin. and it's not like he's shown a ton of flashes going to the rim, he actually is kinda a jump shooter big for someone so tall.

If it's him vs Reed at 3 (say Risacher and Castle went 1/2 ) it's an argument for sure, I do need to point out that 1. a lot of Amen / Tari / Cam will end up probably playing some 4, at least more so than Tari / Cam will likely play 2, so the minutes factor is a consideration.

I like Reed's feel for the game way more, though I do get that Saar's body type is hard to get and IF it works (that he's a 4 on offense and 5 on defense) it might be more valuable.

saleem and r-fan-since-81 like this.
  12. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

Less than 1 week before we pick our future flop

13. Castian Crew

Castian Crew Member

Reed would be a great complimentary player on an already established team (think Battier or Redick), but not convinced the Rockets can place a star player around him to take over games. We have way too many complimentary players right now without a stud to compliment.

14. RollingWave

RollingWave Member

If none of Sengun / Green / Amen / Cam / Jabari pops into a star player, no one we draft here or anything we do with the pick would matter either

15. Mad Cornbread

Mad Cornbread Member

I still maintain the closest thing to a star on this team is Whitmore........he has the drive the others lack IMO..........but the others could prove me wrong I hope...........

solid likes this.
  16. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Not a popular opinion, but after spending some time on it Im going to say that Dillingham would be a better pick for Houston than Sheppard. He is not as good as a shooter, but is still VERY capable in that regard and you lose a little defense, but Dillingham is an infinitely better ball handler, creator and finisher.

17. CantStopJG24

CantStopJG24 Member

I don’t understand why I keep reading that the rockets are interested in trading the pick for future draft capital. No matter how weak this draft is, future draft capital will never be a 3rd pick.

18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

I voted for him to be the pick, because of his handles, but have come around to Sheppard. I’ll be happy with either one or Sarr if he drops. I would say Sheppard is the better fit when Amen becomes the PG, because Dillingham will need the ball in his hands to be effective.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Im not so sure Amen is the future point guard due to his poor handle. His future might be as a wing.

saleem likes this.
  20. Ish

Ish Member

He's def not a PG to run an offense in NBA level