1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Biden is no joke; will vote for him again

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by KingCheetah, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Right - but it is effective and it has started to influence people IMO.

There are genuine times where Biden reacts slowly, he is in his 80's and he has an extremely demanding job - and his body and reaction time isn't going to be the same as when he was in his 60's.

Still - they have gotten to the point where the video clips they post can be compelling without the context and a lot of people just want to believe them.

2. Nook

Nook Member

I'll vote for "you aren't black" Biden over conspiracy theory weirdo Trump.

Biden has his flaws - and currently isn't very popular, but he has been very effective getting laws passed with an incompetent Republican group in Congress.

3. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

but were they the right laws? that’s the issue

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

Immigration may **** the Democrats - it wouldn't be a shock to me if it did - but Bill Maher has become very much out of touch and set in his ways.

5. Nook

Nook Member

Joe Biden has been doing these types of things for 40 years. He did it when Obama was President as well, and when he was in the Senate. Some people have found it human or endearing in the past and others have found it to be distracting.

Whatever - Biden is a big boy, he can either stop doing it or not - but he will live with the election consequences, whether good or bad for him.

JoeBarelyCares likes this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

I cannot speak on all of them, but I personally believe that at least some of them were.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Oh for sure. It's a HIGHLY effective weapon against him and part of that is because there is an underlying truth.

Nook likes this.
  8. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

To all those who feel victimized from the truncated clips removing all context -

Did you forget how often the leftist MSM did the same thing week in and week out?

Did anyone even bother to listen to the whole clips? Of course not, because it would completely invalidate their narrow minded belief structure.
    This isn't to validate Trump as a good person, but yet to remind those of the repeated hypocrisy while perched on their self righteous high horse. You are absolutely no different than the people you criticize.

Salvy likes this.
  9. Salvy

Salvy Member

Problem is this is not the only thing Joe does, Joe stumbles and falls, Joe stares into space, Joe speaks gibberish, Joe lies about something he never was or things he never did or people he never spoke to, Joe wanders off, Joe gets pulled by his wife or in this place Obama, Joe walks weird, Joe does a weird squat before sitting down, Joe does a weird squat while just walking or sitting, Joe says something racist, Joe does something creepy and the list goes on.

Its no longer human or endearing when the person who is supposed to be the leader of this great nation is constantly humiliating himself. As I told another poster in the Trump thread... Does no one sit down with Biden and explain to him that he cannot for any reason leave his group because it is highly likely to be a bad look depending on the framing of the cameras? Does no one tell Biden that it is better for him to end his speech's and immediately exit left or right it does not matter as long as he isn't filmed not knowing where to go?

I don't think optics haven't been explained to Biden, I just think he is too old for this....

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I'm convinced that Maher is using a media/business strategy to remain relevant, and go viral on social media. To which I have to say.... has worked.

Let's go back a few years:

Go back to Spring of 2021, and look at what was happening at that time in regards to a sharp decline in people's interest in political media. People especially on the left and certainly in the center wanted a break... and god bless them for that. I wanted, and kinda took a break myself. He knew Real TIme's viewership would decline... AND at the same time HBO was going through a major change in being bought by Discovery, and those platforms consolidating onto the MAX platform. He even saw how HBO backed out of A GAME OF THRONES spinoff/prequel. Watchman didn't get a second season, etc. etc. Like sh$t was going down with HBO, and he saw that HGTV "safe" and more conservative shows like Chip and Johanna Gain's show & network were going to dominate that platform.

So Maher and his team made some very smart BUSINESS decisions in the way they would operate his show. And that was seeding in these key poignant arguments into his segments designed specifically to go viral on the right, and gain new viewers. So while most shows in politics were seeing a decline, he could make a case to the Discovery execs that HIS SHOW actually was showing growth.

His intent was probably both from a business perspective, but also he might have felt with a newer audience that was easier to troll & bait with these viral moments with anti liberal talking points, he might actually be able to shape folks on the right over the long haul to be maybe a bit more free thinking, and sympathetic to liberals like himself, and maybe in the long run he thinks he's doing something good rather than preaching to the choir... which preaching to the choir on the MAX platform was only going to get himself canned, and moved to YouTube/Podcast only.

That's my theory. I don't think Maher is particularly interesting honestly, and I actually think he's an awful stand up comedian. However I do think he's a decent promoter, and understands messaging & how to go viral. Which is 95% of what being in media in 2024 is all about sadly. Or maybe I'm wrong and Maher just has changed to be more sympathetic to the MAGA right, and sold his soul. I suspect my theory is correct, but of course I could always be wrong, and what's happened with his was just happening because he has changed.

Ottomaton likes this.
  11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Nope. Bill Maher has common sense.

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

13. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Maybe as a businessman but there are certainly ideological areas where he is definitely out of touch. Most notably on health and food. Here in his rants he shows us pretty clearly how elitist he really is, and how his privilege in Hollywood leads him to be way out of touch.

It's just that "regular" Americans are just too fat and lazy to buy fresh foods with organic ingredients, etc. etc. It's just sooo easy for him to understand, but in reality if you are an every day American who wants to get healthy, you realize pretty quickly how incredibly expensive it is to shop the way that Bill Maher says you should shop to be healthy, and not fat. Instead of taking aim at the corporations that synthesize poison, and call it food, and price it at a point where you cannot rationalize whole foods vs Kroger/Wal Mart, etc., Maher continually over the years points the finger at lazy fat Americans.

I could go on about other topic's like this that he is out of touch on for sure. Go watch his Vegas style comedy show too and listen to his jokes which are straight out of the late 80's. It's like a rip off of Richard Lewis but without the self deprecation which was what made his bit hilarious. What makes his stand up bit not work, and come off as corny, is because the guy is incapable of laughing at himself like other great comedians' could do.

Maher or Maher's producers (more than likely) are smart though when it comes to business as you'll see in my prior post. They knew that if they'd survive both the decline from viewership after 2020, and the MAX merger, they'd need to court and show new viewers. They knew EXACTLY how to troll folks that frankly... are just like you ideologically and likely demographically.

Frankly all they had to do was look at what Joe Rogan did to court folks that fit in your spectrum, and bam.... it's an easy business decision, and he's done a great job at looking at folks like you, and getting them from being Bill Maher haters in 2019 to Bill Maher evangelists in 2022. All the while still not totally losing his left leaning audience because there's still enough to ensure that we know deep down of course he's still a liberal.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I was never a Bill Maher hater, always liked him. He seems a bit arrogant, but in a way that I like. I don't agree with him on everything, but certainly on Israel and Covid and excessive leftism (he is on the left, but to me, he is a common sense leftist).

Nook likes this.
  15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Always disliked Maher. Never found him funny or his show compelling. He's just a douche. Common sense is the middle ground on almost all issues, and he frequently doesn't. He actually does exactly what he says everyone else does. Overreact.

There are costs and benefits to just about everything. It why traditional political ideologies are worth discussing.

16. JoeBarelyCares

JoeBarelyCares Contributing Member

This spin has been debunked.

https://www.vox.com/2019/4/26/18517980/trump-unite-the-right-racism-defense-charlottesville

Trump can at any time come out and say the organizers of the rally were bad people, and the guys with tiki torches chanting "Jews shall not replace us" were bad people, but he won't. He can come out at any time and say Kanye and Nick Fuentes are bad people, but he won't.

astros123 likes this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I'll say it...Kanye and Nick Fuentes are bad people! And Trump personally is a malignant narcissist. But I like his side's policies much better than those of the left.

18. astros123

astros123 Member

Nd what exactly did biden say wrong in this video? This is all you dipshits do. Crop out random sections of a video out of context.

What did Biden even say wrong in the video? Economy is growing and real wages are growing.

" I like his policies more" lol you like the fact that he's promising to abandon ukraine to putin and will cut all aid off to Ukraine on his first day in office.

Imagine being a right winger from Germany and you sip for the canidate who's promising to give free reign to putin to do whatever he wants. What a utter disgrace you are to your country and your own people.

You dipshits have no values

19. astros123

astros123 Member

In the past month biden has done sit down interviews with, the Yorker, yahoo finance, time magazine, CNN, MSNBC, howard stern show, press conference with NATO general, press conference with zelensky.

@Nook somehow none of the right wingers ever clip videos from any of his interviews but have to take edited 5 second clips to prove that biden is too old.

20. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Did you even listen? Or do you need a propaganda site to tell you how to think?