1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Donovan Clingan is the perfect fit for the Houston Rockets.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ThatboyPhuong, Jun 11, 2024.

1. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

It isn’t just next season though. Clingan would only play 15 min for the foreseeable future, as long as Sengun remains the starting center, whereas other draftees can get a bigger role when minutes open up. BIG difference.

OremLK and clutchdabear like this.
  2. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Even if Adam’s and Landale are gone, what’s Clingan’s role gonna be? Is he gonna replace Sengun as the starting center and get more than 10-15mins a game?

clutchdabear likes this.
  3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

60% FT shooters are not perfect for anyone. You acquire those players when you desperately need them. You don’t draft them in the top 5.

Very against picking Clingan although I know he will have a solid career. Happy to stick with Adams for two seasons. Do not want to see Sengun at PF and Clingan at C, this is a disaster in my eyes, the offense would be significantly worse than last season and the defense only marginally better because Sengun would get tested hard at PF.

leebigez and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Clingan is definitely not going to replace Alpe's 20-21 ppg......not anytime soon. Or ever.

5. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Of course. There is no scenario where Sengun can play PF on defense. Clingan is just like everyone in this draft, a bench player except for a tanking team.

Mathloom and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Clingan is not the best fit for the Rockets, but could still be the best player available and he is imho less of a risk of being a bust than Shepard. in my opinion. Assuming Clingan can be a starting center he could always be traded for a proven veteran shooter.
    Next season neither will be a starter with the Rockets.

Plowman likes this.
  7. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Every time is see the name Clingan, my mind turns it into Klingon.

I am sure this is relevant somehow :D

raining threes, Bo6, Plowman and 2 others like this.
  8. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Nobody is going to replace Sengun….Sengun is playing only 32 minutes per game, Adams is coming off a injury, older, past injury history and specialize in setting screen and rebounding…he is not a shot blocker, Sengun is not a shot blocker…Landale is just 7 feet nothing more. Adam is not going to play back to back or going to play more than 70 games. It a long season, if Sengun plays 32 minutes a game and there are only 48 minutes a game….Adam can play 10 minutes and Clingan can play 8….if we need to shut a team down we would put out this lineup….Amen, Fred, Tari, Jabari and Clingan….wow

9. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Clingan is not a starting center, Sengun would be our Starting Center. In the future, Sengun would play 32 minutes per game and Clingan would play 18 minutes per game. Also, Clingan would work well with Jabari! Clingan is 7’3 and 280 pounds, and WHEN he is doubled team he could pass it to Jabari at the free throw line or open player at the 3 point line. Sengun is a elite passer but Clingan is a good passer as well. We can find a shooter in free agency….you cannot find 7’3 and 280 pounds Centers in free agency and they would not come here

10. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

We only have Adam for one year, he had lower body problems or injuries, he is older and there is a reason Memphis traded him to us for 2nds…

GotGame15 likes this.
  11. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

In other words, a permanent backup / insurance for the 3rd pick. Mmmmkay…

12. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

13. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

If we were going to take a center and we won’t, then why waste the third pick on a backup in Clingsn when you could trade back to 9 or 12 and take Edey who is bettefr anyhow. Clingan at 3 is a total waste of a high pick.

14. Bo6

Bo6 Member

The Hawks are not drafting Clingan first overall. They probably are shopping the pick like hell right now. They want someone to pair with Trae desperately.

Mathloom likes this.
  15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I have no doubt that they are shopping the pick. But I also think Clingan is the best fit for what they need. Trae-Clingan works. And Snyder likes big defensive centers like Gobert. If Atlanta can’t trade the pick I think they’ll draft Clingan.

red5rocket likes this.
  16. chef0010

chef0010 Rookie

17. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Everybody is in the same boat. No player in this draft is worthy of the top pick, so all the top 3 are trying to trade down. There are also very few game changing vets that are available for trades. If there was ever a season to stand pat and just take the best fit, it is this year. We are fortunate that the two FO’s in front of us are putrid. If any two would take Clingan and Risacher over Sarr these are the two.

18. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

What of him?

19. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Listen, I'm not 100% on any of these guys and don't even really have a strong enough opinion on any of them to pick one. I'll just trust the front office to pick the right guy. That said, who in this draft isn't going to be third string on this team?

20. raining threes

Depends on if Alp improves his shooting this off-season. Even if he does improve, they still need to add a shooter or two.