1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

18.3%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

8.9%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.8%
  4. Donovan Clingan

9.1%
  5. Zach Edey

3.4%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.1%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.5%
  8. Reed Sheppard

43.0%
  9. Nikola Topić

7.8%
  10. Dalton Knecht

1.1%
  1. Jontro

Jontro Member

i'd dine at those restaurants

RB713 and daywalker02 like this.
  2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I would try a deal with Memphis 1st. Then I would do the Caruso, #11 and one future 1st in 2025 for #3. Adding Caruso to our group of vets is a plus imo.

Aruba77 and Ming The King like this.
  3. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I think I’ve shifted over to Castle. I am not buying the concerns about his shooting. He didn’t take a ton of attempts. He makes a fee more and his % is decent. This isn’t Jalen shooting a low % on a ton of attempts. The FT shooting is good and I think the form on the three-point shot looks very consistent.

I can see

Sengun
    Smith
    Castle
    Cam
    Amen

Being very viable in a few years. Bring in shooting/size via trades/FA.

4. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

While I'm absolutely for moving #3 in a deal for a veteran, and getting back a pick in the 10-12 range (Carter or Salaun)...I'm vehemently opposed to Caruso being the principle in that deal. No where close to enough...he's a good role player....that's it. You don't move off 3 for that guy and 11. They'll be much better deals to be had.

everyday eddie, AXG, Dacamel and 5 others like this.
  5. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Agreed. It would need to be #11, Caruso and 2025 swap rights at a min.

Plowman likes this.
  6. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

No, hes just a plus in the deal. It's really to get #11 and a 1st in what is supposed to be a pretty good draft in 2025.

xiki and Plowman like this.
  7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Or this. As long as we get a high 2025 1st rounder.

8. Rokman

Rokman Member

In the past 20 years, who has shot as good or better while playing as well on the defensive end as Sheppard did?

vince, Agent94, cmoak1982 and 4 others like this.
  9. PeppermintCandy

Never say never, but I can't imagine Sarr falling further than number 2. If he does drop, I'm sure the Rockets would be more than happy to take him.

The media narrative now seems to be Sheppard or Castle for the third pick.
    But personally, I'm leaning heavily toward Clingan.

Granted it's just from watching some clips and half-games against usually much smaller competition, but I am extremely impressed by Clingan's defensive court awareness. He's not the fastest guy, but he's able to recover and switch because his response is a half step faster.
    Add that to his Boban-like ability to block out the rim by standing, and you've got the makings of a defensive monster.

On the offensive side, he's a perpetual lob threat, of course. He doesn't make a ton of passes and assists, but when he does, they can be quite good, both accurate and creative.
    Surprisingly, his back-to-the-basket game seems to be a weakness, and I've seen him miss layups that should be automatic for him. It won't get easier with bigger and stronger competition in the NBA, but he's got time to improve.

All this may be moot because according to Ben DuBose, he shares the same agent with Sengun, which may convince the Rockets to take him out of consideration for the third pick.

#2949 PeppermintCandy, Jun 16, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
  10. Good Times

Good Times Member

Clingan feels like a lock to go top two along with Saar. If he makes it to 3, the Rockets will have many suitors to trade with. If Clingan isn’t there at 3 then the rockets most likely will have to keep the pick.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Anybody feel like doing a 2024 Clutchfans NBA Draft??

Plowman likes this.
  12. dfbreyes

dfbreyes Member

13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I said earlier in the thread that I was assuming Risacher was gone thus going with Sheppard.

If Risacher is there for the taking, I wouldn't pass on him.

OremLK and Easy like this.
  14. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

So 3 small forwards, a stretch 4 and an undersized offensively focused 5? Thank **** you're not the GM tbh.

15. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

I don't buy the shooting concerns on Castle too.
    Nothing horrendous with the form. Repetition will fix everything. He can be a Jimmy Butler +.
    But my top 3 for the Rockets is still :

1. SARR, the team will be so complete, especially on the defensive side. Just add 1 or 2 pure shooters.
    2. Reed, nice consolation price. Backcourt set for years.
    3. Stephane Risacher, wings are interchangeable. Trade Brooks earlier. Let Bari, Cam, Tari, and Risacher battle it out for the 2 forward spots. Can still trade the least compatible of the 4 for help elsewhere.

Corrosion likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.nytimes.com/athletic/5565164/2024/06/17/nba-mock-draft/

3. Houston Rockets (from Brooklyn Nets): Stephon Castle | 6-6 wing | 19 years old | Connecticut

The Rockets’ brass met this week and are still open to a number of possibilities with the No. 3 pick — including paying close attention to the superstar market in hopes of a trade — but should they hold steady, Castle feels like the organizational synergy pick.

The Connecticut wing’s size, upside and positional versatility strongly correlate with general manager Rafael Stone’s draft history, and Castle’s defensive acumen and penchant for making winning plays aligns with head coach Ime Udoka’s philosophy. Houston is also in the business of shoring up their playmaking, with free agent Aaron Holiday’s future in doubt after he had a solid year.

Castle’s shooting in college, long-term projections and ability to play point guard will all play a part in the Rockets’ evaluation of the wing. What is his actual position? Castle has been quite vocal about his capabilities as a lead ballhandler, which has influenced his pre-draft visits, but that doesn’t matter in the grand scheme of things — you go where you are drafted.

Dacamel, Aruba77 and xiki like this.
  17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

“What is actual position?” That is the modern-NBA way, and that’s why I like SC.

That said, at #3? Rumors persist that nearly every lotto picker below 3 wants the Klingon. Smells like trade time to me.

joshuaao, AXG, Plowman and 1 other person like this.
  18. H. Christopher

Caruso really? Another bricklayer?

19. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

What? How is Caruso a "brick layer?" He shot 40% from 3 last season and had a .61 TS%.

BamBam and Williamson like this.
  20. Rokman

Rokman Member

Last year I wanted Cam over Amen and we got lucky and got both, so the Rockets did good there. At this point, I can't decide between Sheppard, Clingan and anyone else so I think I'll be fine with whoever they choose trusting they scouted well and got the right guy.

Corrosion likes this.