1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

If we draft Sheppard or Castle, what does that mean for Jalen Green?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aruba77, Jun 12, 2024.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I agree for the most part, just like on defense it's not so much he lacks the ability he just really raw and needs to be coached up... but it's on him to show that improvement next season.

2. J Rock

J Rock Member

I’d rather have Cody Williams than either Sheppard or Castle.

3. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

I would rather trade Jalen and not pay him the extension(35 million) and give the money to Derrick White. I have no problem giving Derrick White 4 years for 129 million…

4. maj21

maj21 Member

Strongly disagree. Jalen is way more talented than white and a lot younger. Houston would be dumb to do this

Stephen_A and J Rock like this.
  5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I'm fine with giving Jalen another year to put it together. The potential is there.

FLASH21, cml750, topfive and 2 others like this.
  6. maj21

maj21 Member

That’s how I feel as well. Gotta give him another year or we could end up regretting it. Imo, I think FVV and Brooks are gonna be in the way. DB can’t be taking minutes from Cam, Amen, and Tari.

7. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Yes, I feel like we should trade Brooks when we get the chance. He helped set the defensive tone, but some of his antics are a sideshow. Amen, Tari, Cam are the future.

8. maj21

maj21 Member

Exactly! I don’t mind FVV for another year, but I don’t wanna see him getting 38 minutes every night, especially if we draft Reed

cml750, GotGame15 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I feel your struggle with Jalen cause im the same way. I see the talent and the flashes but the disappointment has been considerable. I hate letting players go to RFA if you don’t know what you have. Easy to lose them for nothing and trade value is poor. I’m finally comfortable riding it out with Jalen and then trading him for peanuts at the deadline if he doesn’t produce. There’s so much sunk cost in Jalen at this point. Unless we get a big offer I can live with seeing what he can do pre-deadline. But if someone proposed trading #2 (Sarr) and something else of decent value for Jalen, I’d probably pull the trigger. Mainly because I don’t want to lock up max salary on a guy who doesn’t have 2 yrs of really good production.

jim1961, bustamove and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

A bad faith argument would be changing the core of the debate rather than addressing points directly. Since you apparently cannot find where I've said "Cam Whitmore needs to have traditional PG skills" you yourself are the one engaging in bad faith. All your name calling and clinical narcissism doesn't do much for me, however, you won't be speaking for me. If you'd like to have a conversation about Cam Whitmore's development, I'm happy to do that. I'll be doing my own talking/typing though.

htownrox1, FLASH21, GotGame15 and 2 others like this.
  11. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Lol, sure thing kid.

It's obvious what you were doing when talking about the passing skills and ball handling of an off guard.... even if you lie about it now.

I'm simply not interested in continuing a conversation with a person unwilling to be honest.

As it stands, Cam Whitmore is already the best SG on the roster.... even at 19 years old, and he's likely to expand on that as he progresses.

12. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Ok, I guess you won't keep quoting and replying then. Have a good one Robert.

Stephen_A likes this.
  13. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Lol at people calling Cam a SG when he's been a SF who slides to PF his entire career before the NBA, never a guard...

14. J Rock

J Rock Member

I’m willing to give Jalen until Christmas. If it looks like same player, different year, it’s time to get what you can for him and move on. Most stars have shown their worth by year 4. It’s highly unlikely that he’ll blossom into anything irreplaceable if he hasn’t by then. For the record I would love to see him succeed with us.

GotGame15 likes this.
  15. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

He is a SF/PF

Dobbizzle and Stephen_A like this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Why not just call him a center/strong safety?

While he has some positional flexibility, he's the best SG currently on the roster, that makes him a SG on the Rockets.

17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Please save the self righteousness lol your past actions have shown you to be a petty bi+ch not to mention uninformed.

18. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

why do you waste your time with idiots

19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

All of a sudden he’s deemed a good passer due to 3 games where his entire body of work
    Since nova doesn’t support this. The bias is real lmao.

20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I feel like I’m on an island with Jalen but I think it’s worth noting that virtually every US player in that draft has been fairly underwhelming. I think you could make the case that Sengun was the best player from that draft. I know people like Barnes quite a bit but I think we have learned he is a defensive ace with the offensive skill of a tertiary type scorer. Maybe he becomes a secondary type scorer at some point, but I think the ceiling narrative on him has been dialed back considerably.

Anyway, my point here is that for as highly touted as this draft was, it’s been fairly underwhelming so far and I can’t help but notice this was the draft that occurred immediately after the pandemic lock down which makes think that while most players make a “leap” in year 3, maybe this class will see the leap a year or two later because they were developmentally stunted from the effects of the pandemic. That’s a bit unfortunate for those teams who need to decide now on guys like Mobley and Cade but I think it’s a reason to not give up on these guys just yet - especially guys like Jalen who have at very least proven he can string together a months worth of games playing at an all star level.

FLASH21 and NewAge like this.