1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Racism & Fear Mongering About Immigrant Crime

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by deb4rockets, Feb 29, 2024.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

The definition of discrimination.

2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was making a comment in response to someone who points out Muslim crimes left and right abroad, yet never points out crimes we have here by Non-Muslins. Your response included shutting down immigration to zero. I read between the words.

My point is that the right wing fear mongering isn't all based on facts. My other point was that loose gun regs don't make crime better. Now if you think more people will make things worse, then won't making contraceptives illegal mean more and more people? It's just so much hypocrisy coming from right wingers.

3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Can something as complex as that term have simple "definitions". It seems like a useless endeavor.

My point is simple. If you fear the decline in birth rates in America AND believe more immigrants mean more crime, there is a racist bigoted component here that can only combine those two sentiments together in one brain to avoid cognitive dissonance

I don't know what you believe about the declining birth rates. Therefore I don't know if you are just Malthusian or racist.

#83 fchowd0311, Jun 16, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
    Xopher likes this.
  4. Bandwagoner

You directly called my "take" comment racist.

5. Bandwagoner

I see them as completely separate issues. Declining birth rate is more a result of financial success and access to healthcare. Is there a big difference in the demographics of domestic births and immigration? What is the breakdown? I've never heard this litmus test for racism.

My litmus test is what the comment at all discriminatory, mine was not, therefore not racist.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This is a irrelevant point and an incorrect one also which is dependent on context. Declining birth rates can have multiple reasons. In developing countries it can be a sign of economic progress and increased education rates.

In America declining birth rates since America's economic peak post WW2, is a result of education and the increased cost of raising a child and fear of not being able to properly afford a proper environment for a child to be raised in optimal settings. The education part is simply women since WW2 are more career driven which means not all women see their futures as full time stay at home housewives. But the cost of living rising, decreased ownership rates for homes relative to prior generations means millennials and gen z are more afraid than previous generations over the concept of parenthood. And due to society being more open to the concept of women being able to enjoy sex without the fear of pregnancy, young people can enjoy sex and not worry about bringing new humans into the world to take care of.

This has nothing to do with the discussion at hand though. We are discussing if you fear the capitalists' concerns about declining birth rates in western developed countries having a negative effect on economic growth in the future. And if yes and at the same time you fear crime totals increasing because more immigrants come in, then logically this means there is a ethnic/racial component to why you fear a population decline but also fear more immigrants into a country.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Immigration contributes greatly to our economy. A stronger economy yields lower crime rates, and vice versa, a weaker economy yields higher crime rates.

Zero immigration would tank our economy and increase crime rates.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  8. Bandwagoner

you've addressed none of my questions. Is this how you discuss things?

9. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I apologize if you aren't a racist, or part of the right wingers who look down on, and think of all those trying to cross the border as rapists, cartel, and murderers. I apologize if you aren't a hater of all Muslims too. It seemed like you were defending the guy I responded to, instead of agreeing with my take on it.

10. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what is racist about limiting immigration to the most pluralistic country (and in Houston, the most ethnically diverse city) on earth.

please provide specifics with your response.

#manythanks

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure our crime rate has steadily declined while our immigration has gone up over the last few decades.

We are also seeing a record decline in serious crimes over the last ~2 years during a significant surge of migrants at the southern border. We also saw a spike in serious crimes during the pandemic when the southern border was shut down to migrants with Title 42.

These are, of course, all correlations, but I think it points to immigration as, at worst, not a factor in increasing crime and very likely a factor in reducing crime since immigrants are vital to our economy. We have known for a while that crime heavily correlates with how well our economy is performing, with a decrease in crime rate as the economy improves and vice versa.

#91 Amiga, Jun 17, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2024
    rocketsjudoka likes this.
  12. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Many of those who are advocating stopping immigration have said Houston and other diverse cities are a warning sign of what could happen to the rest of the country. Many have also made the claim that Democrats are trying g to get more immigrants in to get more votes even though there is no guarantee that new immigrants will vote for Democrats.

Some such has Tucker Carlson have pushed the idea that those who want more immigration are trying to “replace white people” in us society.

Nook likes this.
  13. basso

Supporting Member

you don't want to limit illegal immigration because Tucker told you you should?

14. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

I have read through what you are responding to and I do not see the word "illegal" anywhere.

15. basso

Supporting Member

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

That’s reading a lot into my post that wasn’t there. That was a response to your claim that there isn’t racism coming from some of those wanting to limit immigration.

I’ve already stated a policy solution on this thread. Pretty much what Reagan did.

17. basso

Supporting Member

but not what Biden did.

18. astros123

astros123 Member

Border encounters are at the lowest point in 4 years nd match trumps 2019 numbers.

@Bandwagoner violent crime is collapsing and is near decade low

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I’ve stated before that I think Biden’s executive order is problematic because it doesn’t have the force of law passed by Congress.

Also what does that have to do with the post you’re responding too?

20. basso

Supporting Member

Biden's policy is problematic since it has resulted in hundreds of thousands of undocumented illegals entering the country. we don't know who they, and we don't know where they are.