1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Official] Tigers @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 14, 2024.

1. conquistador#11

I liked the Covid year playoff format where the top 2 teams in every division got in.

The stupid ghost runner rule stayed but not the post season womp womp.

2. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Solution to that is just make the leads Espada-proof.

13 in 33 likes this.
  3. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

The more logical solution is "assistance" from upper management during games.

raining threes and Stephen66 like this.
  4. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Why? Most Astros fans don't even remember his no hitter from THIS season, let alone the last time a pitcher was able to do that feat. They would remember if Blanco over-stresses his arm due to a June start in a season where he's on track to pitch the most he's ever pitched... and then he's out for 2025.

And given how Espada has stressed pitchers all season, I'm sure they would have not blinked an eye... indicating Blanco may have been somewhat fatigued.

I'm just glad the late notice didn't impact him as it seemed to do Spencer yesterday (despite full rest). Pitchers are obviously creatures of habit and slight adjustments in routine often have the opposite impact.

I'm also glad, with every great start, Blanco turns less into a "fluke" and more likely a later bloomer that finally found his form/pitches/stuff.

Nook likes this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I'll help them raise the pre-ASB pennant champion banner!

At this point, just focusing on the local team. Win games/series. Enjoy the continued development of Brown/Spencer and Blanco. Enjoy JV (when he's healthy). Enjoy Framber (when you get the mostly good version). Enjoy the ups/downs of this lineup sans dead weight. I would also say enjoy the bullpen but I don't see them going on a dominant/consistent run any time soon (plus its an egregious expenditure for an average team).

Looking forward to weaving Garcia/LMJ back into the fold. They'll add some trade deadline pieces that hopefully will be beyond rentals. Whatever happens rest of this year I'll accept given the ups/down thus far... 2025 is still in the window of contention.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I do think they're missing a voice in the clubhouse. I know nobody wants to give Dusty (or Maldy, lol) the light of day, but given the current soft-spoken core... they were probably leading by default (even to a fault) the last couple of seasons.

Espada certainly isn't it as he will be deferential to whatever the somewhat green front office tells him to do. Altuve/Tucker/Alvarez certainly won't do it and will always be a more lead by example type (but less-so than Bagwell/Biggio's "quiet" leadership). Bregman may have been a candidate had he signed an extension. JV certainly has the longevity, the track record, and he's been here the majority of over 7+ years now (hard to believe).... but he's never been locked into a true long-term deal here long enough to know that he would retire here and thus take on that full role including mentoring the young guys.

And in no way am I harkening for them spending big money on Springer, Correa... or keeping the corpses of Yuli/Maldy around for fun.... but it was clear those guys were always the alphas in the clubhouse that kept things in check while Hinch was internally trying to defuse all the conflicts having Osuna around and having young MBA front office guys get more clubhouse access than he probably would have liked.

Maybe Altuve grows into the role now that he can probably sense its needed. Maybe LMJ comes in and builds off his post-game celebratory creative speeches. Maybe it comes out of nowhere.

#566 Nick, Jun 16, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
  7. lnchan

Supporting Member

Easterby style ear buds like they did with Culley?

8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Fluke ass rangers

13 in 33, MadMax and Houstunna like this.
  9. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Hated game 2 but overall happy with series win

The Beard, IBTL and 13 in 33 like this.
  10. PhiSlammaJamma

Historically, there's no rational reason to not trust Blanco yet. There is no history of ineptitude. There have been no signs it's a fluke. And still, most of us will not push our chips all in on Ronel. It's just a thing. It will probably take until the end of next season for the non-believers to believe.

Screaming Fist likes this.
  11. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

From the highlights pressley’s stuff looked fantastic. He’s a pro. I still believe in him . He will retool and be successful

I’m a bit scared about hader tho . Apparently his stuff has been losing a tick the last year or so . Needs a 3rd pitch or needs the fastball and slider to get back to plus plus

ronel is awesome . I’m ok with not letting him go . Need to be careful with him . Could be an Astros great for years . I love guys with changeups

12. lnchan

Supporting Member

Him performing post rosin gate is VERY encouraging

Dgn1, IBTL, everyday eddie and 3 others like this.
  13. Screaming Fist

I thought Blanco was about to collapse a few weeks ago but he has turned on the jets his last couple of starts. Very promising development.

E.G.: (xwOBA by pitch type for May and June):

May
    4S .417
    SL .323
    CH .314

June
    4S .361
    SL .267
    CH .251

Would imagine his feel for the slider and change has improved recently.

14. Screaming Fist

Signing Montgomery basically won them a World Series. No way they even win the AL without him. A win for the Dombrowskinistas. God I hate spelling Polish names.

15. Screaming Fist

They are down to around 34% for making the post-season and that's likely with the models giving us a big advantage over Seattle moving forward. I would already be breaking glass if I were them with at least making a manager change or something. Obviously they should have never brought Abreu back to eliminate another distraction if anything.

16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

They have 8 series left before the all star break and to get to the point to justify buying they need to win 6 of them. If they win 5 of them it’ll be dicey and if they win 4 or less they would be utterly stupid not to position themselves as sellers.

White Sox
    Orioles
    Rockies
    Mets
    Jays
    Twins
    Marlins
    Rangers

Screaming Fist likes this.
  17. Houstunna

Supporting Member

I was worried the "substance" was his reason for success --- but apparently not.

He's the team MVP thus far this season.

IIRC, Astros are 10-3 in his starts -- 23-36 without his games.

Snake Diggit likes this.
  18. lnchan

Supporting Member

Fangraphs somehow has Framber ranked ahead of him... don't know how exactly...
    https://www.fangraphs.com/projections/cy-young?pagenum=2&pageitems=10

19. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Blanco stats from yesterday....

Picsart_24-06-17_09-56-47-101.jpg
    Picsart_24-06-17_09-57-59-723.jpg
    Picsart_24-06-17_09-57-39-883.jpg
    Picsart_24-06-17_09-57-08-121.jpg

ryan_98 likes this.
  20. Nook

Nook Member

An 8.5 game lead is an 8.5 game leave - but the M's have basically the same run differential as the Cincinnati Reds at this point. They have been trending upwards, but they are not the Braves or Dodgers where there should be an expectation of them winning 95-100 games. Their young pitching is legitimate in their rotation and they run 4 deep in the rotation with quality starters. They have gotten surprising production out of their pen so far - but their offense is bad.

The Astros can possibly catch them if they have better health down the stretch. If the Astros catch the M's - it will require better play from the leverage pen pieces and Brown and Arrighetti continuing to emerge in the rotation. Arrighetti was lit up last time out, but he wasn't supposed to make that start.

If the Astros get consistent starting pitching 1-4 04 1-5, and they hit enough - they can go on a few long runs winning 8 out of 10 or 6-8 and make up games quickly.

Also - while the M's will get a bat at the deadline to improve their offense, if the Astros have closed the gap and are playing better - Crane will go out and get pieces for the Astros.