1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

[Official] Tigers @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Jun 14, 2024.

1. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

It was fine. It was also chicken ****. He threw 105 pitches in his last no hitter. He didn't need to come out that early unless he said he was gassed. Maybe he did. Maybe he was. If he wanted to go though, he should have been allowed.

2. Radricky

Radricky Member

3. Nook

Nook Member

There are a few guys like this and I have seriously wondered if Pressly is one too. I know he has said before getting amped for the 9th and walking up and high fiving your catcher is a lot easier than coming out earlier. I know why Espada choose to have Hader close - but I am curious what Presslys era would be if he stayed the closer… his FIP is still low.

4. Nook

Nook Member

If the Astros were 5 over .500%, Blanco would have gone out for the 8th. However the Astros are well under .500 and are losing starting pitchers left and right. Pulling him was the smart move.

5. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

The Rangers were the biggest fluke last year.

6. RussE

RussE Member

Seattle leading Texas 2-0 in the 6th

7. E-Man

E-Man Member

Astros are to blame for letting them get to the WS and winning it all. That should have been the Astros beating the D-Backs in last year's WS.

8. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Next 8 games...
    3 @ Chi Sox
    3 vs Baltimore
    2 vs Rockies

Yall taking 5-3, if guaranteed, right now?

We need 6-2 (or better), but 6-2 is too easy a choice.

Radricky likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

He is basically the relief pitcher that throws goose eggs in the 7th or 8th - but you put them in the 9th and they always implode.

Espada was very good as a #2. He chokes when he has to make the decisions.

It is possible he gets over it - but if they could go back in time, they wouldn’t pick him again.

ROCKSS and Zen Tabak like this.
  10. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Smart maybe, but there was history on the line. They could have gone for it with someone warmed up and ready to go if needed. This season has been one big disappointment after another. They had the opportunity to do something special but decided to **** all over it by playing it "smart" instead. He was at 94 pitches, it's not like he was in imminent danger. It was an unfortunate decision, smart or not.

11. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The regression was legit during the second half of last season. So much so that they got insurance.

I do think he’s at the point now where he needs every edge or amped up situation possible to get the adrenaline fully flowing (and hard to go from closing out playoff/ws games to any other version of pitching).

But he’s still a professional, still getting paid as a closer, and will still be needed throughout this season to be the closer.

Uprising and Nook like this.
  12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Even if he wasn’t gassed, and even if he somehow has a minimal 10 pitch inning, there would still be questions galore about over extending him for the 9th.

We’ve seen countless times this year Espada trying to get that one more inning out of his pitcher (and usually everybody complaining about that line of thinking). The one time he uses logic, given that it was unlikely Blanco could complete this game regardless, and he also gets flamed for it.

noppeper, Stephen66 and No Worries like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

I don’t see any reason to fire Brown. He is responsible for very few of the problems the Astros have.

Abreu and Montero were before Brown and decisions to get both were made when Click was still the GM.

Caratini was completely a Brown decision. While Coleman in AAA has been a disappointment- Taylor was a Brown decision and he has done well. Hader was going to be an Astro no matter what because Crane wanted him.

The decision to wait to cut Abreu wasn’t a Brown decision.

14. Radricky

Radricky Member

The rangers are ****ing worthless

15. Nook

Nook Member

Yeah - with three against Baltimore I would take 5-3 if guaranteed. It would move the Astros to 38-42. Only four under .500, entering series’ against the Mets and Blue Jays

ROCKSS and Houstunna like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

At this point I’ll take it. We need to catch and pass the Rangers and then try to chase the M’s or a Wild Card. Astros had chances head to head against the M’s and gave games away.

Get into second place and above .500. We should get better production from 1st and McCormick going forward. Crane is going to spend money if we are in a real position to win in the playoffs.

I’ll take my chances with Valdez/Blanco/Verlander and tandem starters Brown/Arrighetti… and a pen with Hader, Abreu, Scott and possibly Pressly.

The deadline trade situation is expected to be murky, but the Astros are likely getting a bat and at least 1-2 pitchers.

17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

There are times when you go for it, and times when you don't. Of all the times to try to squeeze a little more from your starter, this was probably the one where you maybe go for it. Assuming Blanco wanted it of course. 5 times in history. This could have been the 6th. He wanted it. I'd be shocked if he didn't. Lame and incredibly disappointing decision by Espada to pull him if he didn't want to come out. Different story if he did.

18. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Here's a quote from Blanco. It sounds like he didn't think he could finish the game. That changes things quite a bit...

Blanco said he wasn't upset when Espada took him out.

"I threw a lot of pitches and I wasn't going to be able to finish it," he said. "So, I just accepted it."

Nook, No Worries and Houstunna like this.
  19. RussE

RussE Member

Rangers lose 5-0. Seattle has a huge 8 1/2 game lead.

20. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

A 5-3 pace every 8 games until season's end equals 89-90 wins. Shows how long 162 really is.

Stros must stop the 1-run, 2-run L bulls*** -- and get decent health. Chances improve without Abreu.

Nook and seemoreroyals like this.