1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Case to Draft Reed Sheppard at #3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, May 20, 2024.

1. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Yea, I forgot who I was talking to. Lol

2. NewAge

NewAge Member

these are interesting facts, thanks.
    The thing, however, is that there is a much higher chance that Castle will become a good shooter than Reed will become 6ft 5… I think that factors in FO decisions

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Who cares if he is 6'5. He will always be a much better shooter than Castle.

cml750 and Bobbythegreat like this.
  4. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Let's say both Atlanta and Washington passed on Sarr. Do you want Sarr at #3? Another reason why Whitmore fall to #20 because the other team didn't workout with him. Which is more important? The private workout or the whole year they're playing basketball?

5. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Basketball is more than just shooting. All the top players aren't the greatest shooter. Steph is an exception because he has high stamina and always moving. And they run play to always get him open (also help NBA allows them to set illegal screen). Can Reed be like Steph? Chance is low.

harold bingo likes this.
  6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Scoot vs Reed aside...

Why is it ok to use "context" when talking about Scoots role in Portland, but when someone mentions the "context" of the things that were working against Reed in Kentucky like the system he played in and the coach (where he still shined by the way) it's dismissed?

If you want an example of lack of context just look back at some of your own posts calling Reed a "bench player".

cml750, AroundTheWorld and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You are comparing a dude who had to create off the bounce against set half court NBA defenses vs a dude who came off th bench against D1 comp for 28 out of 33 games he played. When he was a a starter he averaged 5 apg to nearly 4 turnovers per game. Imagine how that number would look against NBA defenses.

People are really setting themselves up for disappointment with these type of comps.

The biggest crime of being out of context is saying a NBA player at age 19 who had to create his own offense against set NBA defenses is trash compared to a dude who started 5 out of 33 D1 games. That is a far greater failure of not applying context.

8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

You need to go back and look at the post in this thread. Many on here think he's the next Steph Curry. The side by side videos, the college stat comparisons.....some think he is better than Steph

9. fchowd0311

This is the main aspect of Reed in interested in. How is his cardio? Because what in hoping for with drafting this kid is a movement shooter who tires out defenders by always running off ball and through screens a la Rip Hamilton or Steph.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You made this all up.

cml750 likes this.
  11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

So you're saying he's no where near Steph Curry?

12. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

You should step back from the keyboard and gather yourself.

Read a book or something.

cml750 likes this.
  13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I read quite often, thats why Im able to address your questions intelligently but you still didn't answer the question.

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

lol

cml750 likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I like when mindless chuckers like Jalen Green or Scoot Henderson get called out for being ass the common excuse is that they had no choice.... when that's obviously not true.

The chucker always thinks they have to chuck because they aren't good enough to do anything else.

It's no surprise that the Jalen cultists would also worship at the Scoot Henderson altar as well.

If you like awful basketball, those two provide an abundance.

#1955 Bobbythegreat, Jun 16, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
    YaoMac09 and bustamove like this.
  16. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I didn't compare the two players. I compared the way you subjectively use "context" when it suits your argument. No wonder I had you on ignore, your comprehension is ass. Not even worth the discussion if you can't read and understand what's being written.

Back in your cage you go.

17. fchowd0311

Dude I'm literally replied to someone who said "Scoot is trash compared to Sheppard".

You decided to butt in.

You have failed to express why I'm hypocritical with context. All you've done is be angry that I told someone they are stupid to compare Scoot to Sheppard.

I don't have you on ignore because I don't think about you. You can get on that list if you successfully become as annoying as bobbythegreat. Try that and maybe I'll care about you enough to ignore you.

18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Guilty as charged

19. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Where does this conviction come from? Scoot would be the unquestioned #1 pick in this draft, Sheppard would probably fall out of the lottery in most others. Scoot was a 5 star recruit often ranked in the top 10 of his class, Sheppard was a 4 star recruit struggling to break the top 30. I'm not saying you're wrong either, just wondering what gives the conviction when the professional scouts have never considered Sheppard anywhere close to the prospect as Scoot is at any point of their careers so far?

20. MystikArkitect

Huh? Have you not watched Jalen for 3 years at this point? I was a *huge* Jalen supporter from before the draft and through the Silas era and then at the beginning of last year. But after his atrocious "start" to the season (if you want to call October thru February that) I pretty much saw what I needed to. I go with results. And outside of his flukey March, Jalen hasn't had much. Those games are outliers with him not what he normally outputs. It's OK to call a spade a spade.