1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    We are ONE DAY AWAY from the NBA Draft and knowing what the Rockets will do with the #3 selection. We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft LIVE at 8:00pm CT!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!
  3. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

If we draft Sheppard or Castle, what does that mean for Jalen Green?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aruba77, Jun 12, 2024.

1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This post below doesn't show you being offended?
    That reply of yours was a reply to this:
    Why do you think my post here warranted that reply?

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

You clearly have something against Banchero or else you are just using him to prop up any efficiency left of Jalen Green.

Banchero is built like a tank, once he figures that out, he is playing more inside and that will be the end of it......Jalen is a pogo stick.

A blind man can see that they lack a Fred VV, once they get that, Banchero is not forced to handle the ball that much and gets the ball to spots that he likes.

That one and probably a shooter like Klay.

#162 daywalker02, Jun 16, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
  3. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I guess I'm just a bit skeptical that Amen will be an elite PG compared to the rest of the league if he is a poor free throw shooter and horrific 3 PT shooter. I'm not saying Sheppard could be either, but giving him some of Fred's minutes doesn't seem like a horrible idea to me if Amen takes some of Brook's minutes to work on the shots he struggles at, while bringing defense. I'd like to see the passing skills Sheppard can bring. Who knows, maybe he will be great at getting that ball to the open guys, stealing the ball, and fitting in to our system.

Honestly, there might be better elite PG available in FA next year. An elite point guard, who is a great shooter and great defensive player. Who knows? We could trade both Brooks and FVV in a package for that guy. We have plenty of prospects to slide in Brook's spot who can take it to the rim.

I don't think our current roster is a Championship team. We just don't have enough good 3 PT shooters for one. I'm hoping Jabari takes it to another level this year, Jalen improves his proficiency, Sengun and Amen get better at free throws and 3 PT shots, and Eason and Sengun can stay healthy.

#163 deb4rockets, Jun 16, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
  4. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

They are both fair points. We need to move Brooks in either situation. He just take minutes away from better players in Amen and Tari and development minutes away from Cam. It is a good problem to have. Amen is going to be used as a primary facilitator in his career no matter what moniker you put on his position. I do think he is our most likely superstar of the current core.

deb4rockets and AroundTheWorld like this.
  5. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

Trade him while his stock is high because we all know its just going to drop right back down here soon enough.

Plowman, Bobbythegreat and bustamove like this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Just stfu already.

cml750 and Bobbythegreat like this.
  7. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I actually corrected that post. I meant, if a great star PG became available next year in FA we might be able to trade Brooks and FVV (not Eason) to get a top tier PG, and keep Amen, Eason, and the rest of our best developing players, along with a guy like Sheppard.

8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Not if you knew how his first three years in the league were going to play out.

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  9. NewAge

NewAge Member

I think you’re right. Last year the leash was a bit longer, because #1 he was our only backcourt creator and #2 for some reason Udoka wanted a more balanced offense. However, if you’re serious about winning, a steady diet of 4-for-14 with anemic D and zero winning fundamentals is just not cutting it.

They will have to look at alternatives for someone else next to Fred: either a finisher like Cam, or a C&S guard like Sheppard, or a versatile like Amen… Then, for O creation, you either max-out SenHub and make it more heliocentric offense, or give Jabari more touches, or figure out something else…

10. fchowd0311

Brah don't you got a bunch of right wing neo-nazi anti-trans and anti-muslim tweets to spam in the D&D?

11. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Am I?
    Quote the post where I said the words "Cam Whitmore needs traditional PG skills."

I'll wait.

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Are you now suggesting that you don't know what traditional PG skills are?

Damn son.... you just keep digging that hole deeper.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

This is a cry for help.

fckbandwagons and cml750 like this.
  14. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Quote the post where I said the words "Cam Whitmore needs traditional PG skills."

I'll wait.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Harping on passing skills when talking about a SHOOTING guard is really stupid... but we've been over this several times already and you've embarrassed yourself time and time again by doubling down on stupid..... and here we are with you prepared to do it again.

To be a SHOOTING guard, or off-guard, you don't have to be a ball dominant creator. The SHOOTING guard is traditionally a very good shooter and plus defender. Cam needs work on the defense, but he's got the rest down

16. fchowd0311

Unless they think ball handling skills is inherently related to PG.

Cam has more wing skills than guard skills. He can push around defenders. He can take advantage of defenders' feet not being set etc. he isn't someone you want managing pnr possessions or something as a primary ball handler though.

Stephen_A likes this.
  17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

@cml750 was extraordinarily patient with you. Just stfu.

cml750 likes this.
  18. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

I'll wait.

Well, I certainly didn't use any language like "creator" or "playmaker" or "point". Up to the reader to interpret, I suppose.

100% agree to the bolded statement. Even as a wing, my lasting impression was someone who was willing to shoot contested threes instead of attacking the closeout or swinging to another shooter. He posted like 35-36% from 3 on what I would consider a lot of bad shots. That's awesome. But regardless of position, I would have him become more aware of good shots vs. bad shots. IMO that comes down to better handles and vision. In case it needed to be said, him running possessions and PnR was never even remotely close to what I was saying.

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Fair enough, I attempted to take you seriously and you responded with either bad faith argumentation or with simply being too dumb to hold a serious conversation.

Either way, you've gotten all the attention you're going to get.

Your really dumb statement stands and I'll just continue to laugh at you for it rather than trying to find out why you'd say such a dumb thing.

Carry on.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Cam can actually pass, he just decided not to lol.

He displayed it in the last three games