1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Case to Draft Reed Sheppard at #3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, May 20, 2024.

1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Year book Pic?

sirjesse and daywalker02 like this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I haven't seen this ..... link??

3. OremLK

OremLK Member

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Why is it that you think he's joking?

6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I thought OKC, Cleveland and Chicago were playoff teams?? And didn't OKC have the best record in the West?

I guess I was WRONG....Thanks for correcting me.

7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

If people would go back and look at the 11 game winning streak, it started in Portland but it actually started with the impressive win in Sacramento. The ball began to MOVE, 7 players were in double figures and Jock Landale had 9 points. Sengun was not the focal point; he had 14, Jalen had 19, FVV 22, Jabari 10, Cam 10, etc.

Although Jalen was the focal point, for obvious reasons, but I thought Jabari Smith's play increased during the streak, as well as Jock Landale. And that's normal when you have another player go down.

But I think if the Rockets are going to be a force this yr, it has to be Jabari AND Jalen, not just Jalen.

#1887 hlmbasketball, Jun 16, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
    coachbadlee likes this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Alp is the main guy. There is no debating this. Whoever shows up to be either his Robin or the Batman is who’s going to lead this team.
    Jalen, Jabari. My bet is Amen.

cml750 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The fact that he’s joking

cml750 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

So why do you think he's joking?

11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's so early to tell.

Amen to me simply doesn't have the on ball creativity to be that. He has to show a lot more.

For all we know the offense is far more efficient and explosive if it's run through Green more than Sengun. Still way too early in their respective careers. Sengun is definitely most likely but you shouldn't be so dead set that this is set in stone.

12. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Why haven’t the rockets worked this guy out yet?

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't think we worked out Alpi either.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Yea. The whole workout thing as an indicator of who we are choosing is completely overblown. I do think it might give you a small amount of in-site into who they might be thinking about in the mid-first to 2nd round.

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Because he was clearly laughing and joking about it.
    Self deprecation, making a joke about people thinking you can get away with gaming standing reach.
    That isn’t a real thing at that level

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You can cherry pick one subset of metric to think Jalen is more efficient, that doesn’t trump every other metric that says Alp is the best player on this team.
    If Jalen gains consistency, then he’s the second star. I don’t see Jabari becoming that. Amen is my bet, but I’m hoping Jalen is that guy.

cml750 and subtomic like this.
  17. Rokman

Rokman Member

I want serious no frills players. Flashy guys like Jalen are great when you have nothing else and no hope of winning but when a team is looking to win, I want the Olajuwon, Duncan silent but deadly type. All business types. Amen fits that mold which is why he is way higher in my likely to succeed list and definitely on my likeability list than Jalen.

clutchdabear and AroundTheWorld like this.
  18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think Amen is our best bet for a superstar. Right now Alpi is our best player and should have already been an all-star. I think Amen, Jabari, and Sengun are locks to be in our core for many years. Jalen could immediately jump to the group and maybe the best if he gets close to what he was for that 8 game stretch. During that stretch, he was probably the best player in the NBA. That being said, I’d settle for a consistently above average SG.

Strawberry Gum and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Love Amen, but Alpi is the best bet.

cml750, clutchdabear and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I have no idea how teams decide about the workouts. My guess is that (if I were a personnel decision maker) if they see something intriguing about a player but aren't sure, they would want to take a closer look. If a team is dead set about a guy, they don't need a workout to decide.

The thing about workouts and drills is that they are not real game situations. It's much easier to look impressive than with real opponents trying hard to make your life difficult. Watching game tapes and large sample-sized data are better ways to judge a player.