1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If we draft Sheppard or Castle, what does that mean for Jalen Green?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aruba77, Jun 12, 2024.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sorry kid, but the facts are the facts....even if you want to be dumb about it too.

Players don't need PG skills to play the SG position....if they happen to have them, they are called combo guards....but it's not a requirement as the dipshit I was talking to suggested.

Refute the basic facts if you think you can, whining about "narcissism" or any other pathetic attempt to dodge the actual argument with ad hominem BS will just make me laugh at you, as I'm sure you know.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Jalen Green has drawn 6 charges in his entire career.

3 in his rookie season, 3 this season, 0 in his second season.

clutchdabear likes this.
  3. NewAge

NewAge Member

I was looking at basketball-reference, it shows
    Yr1: 22
    Yr2: 14
    Yr3: 6

4. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

NBA.com has

Yr3: 3
    Yr2: 0
    Yr1: 3

I think you are looking at total offensive fouls drawn and not specifically charges.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I was looking at these links:

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/hustle?PerMode=Totals&Season=2023-24&SeasonType=Regular Season&TeamID=1610612745&dir=D&sort=CHARGES_DRAWN

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/h...&TeamID=1610612745&dir=D&sort=CONTESTED_SHOTS

https://www.nba.com/stats/players/h...&TeamID=1610612745&dir=D&sort=CONTESTED_SHOTS

I'm looking at basketball-reference and can't find charges at all on there...do you have a link?

6. NewAge

NewAge Member

yeah, I was looking at Offensive Fouls Drawn. Interesting distinction…

EDIT; so yeah, for charges drawn it’s more shocking.
    Jalen Green, Career: 6
    Podziemski, Rookie Year: 38

#146 NewAge, Jun 15, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2024
    clutchdabear and AroundTheWorld like this.
  7. cml750

cml750 Member

You need to get over the fact people have different views than you and quit taking it personally. You asked a question and I gave an honest answer from my opinion. I am not a NBA GM so my opinion holds zero weight just like yours. Besides going back into the draft is not a real thing so there is no need to argue about it. As I have said before I am cautiously optimistic about Green for the coming season. If he plays like he is capable of all season I will be on the Jalen Green bandwagon.

8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why can't Sheppard get FVV minutes instead of Amen? Amen can play other positions. Besides, Amen is a terrible 3 PT shooter. How many point guards can't even hit 14% of their 3's in this league? He's bound to improve on that, but he only made one 3 in the G-League, and only made 8 from behind the arc all year on our team. Whoever replaces FVV should at least be able to hit 3's. He's one of our best 3 PT shooters this year, and we can't afford to regress even more than already being one of the worst 3 PT shooting teams in the league.

xtruroyaltyx likes this.
  9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It’s pretty simple: defense is more important than shooting even if both of them are very important. Defense is half of basketball. Offense is the other half. Shooting is not even half of offense. It’s pretty simple to calculate these things.

The reason Sheppard won’t get minutes over Amen is because Amen is better even though Sheppard is a much better shooter.

10. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

matchesmalone likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

It's a message board about discussing the Rockets. Nothing I typed in response goes out of the bounds of that purpose. You gave your reasons and I explain why I believe they are bad reasons. Why are you offended about that?

12. cml750

cml750 Member

Offended? No I am not offended about your response. Where a veteran player would go if they were able to reenter the draft as a veteran is not a topic I am very passionate about and definitely not worth a back and forth debate. I am perfectly happy to let you have your opinion and feel no need to get into the back and forth debate on a hypothetical that has zero chance of ever happening. It is ok sometimes to be okay with others having different opinions and agreeing to disagree.

13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here's my point. I'm not saying give him minutes over Amen on the court. I'm saying why can't Amen get Brooks' minutes and Sheppard some of Fred's minutes?

You honestly don't believe Sheppard could ever be a better overall PG than Amen? Based on what exactly? You said it's because Amen's better on defense, but do you seriously think that's the most important point guard skill than offense? What if Sheppard ends up being great at steals? He was in college. More importantly though, I would think a big part of being a good PG court is great vision and passing skills. You honestly don't believe he could end up being the better passer, and with fewer turnovers? Wouldn't that be huge plus for a PG? Is better defense your only reasoning?

If it came down to defense or offense, which would you consider more important for a PG? What if it's close, but one guy is twice as good at hitting 3's? Anyway, I honestly don't see why they can't both end up being on the court together, and end up as FVV and Brooks' replacements down the road.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

If you are talking future certainly Amen and Sheppard (if he is worthy) could be our backcourt. Amen is PG on offense and Sheppard would be PG on defense. This year Sheppard will get very few minutes. If they awarded all of Holiday’s minutes to him he would get around 15 per game. FVV is our PG this year and Amen will get some backup minutes at PG to progress his eventual HOF career. They need to move Brooks, because Amen needs to start at the 3 and Tari is better than Brooks. Cam if he makes a massive improvement in defense could be better than Brooks as well. If we keep the pick, Sheppard or Dillingham should be the pick, but neither will see the floor much unless Jalen totally flops.

Easy and AroundTheWorld like this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I get what you’re saying but you have to decide your goal.

My goal is to find a max-worthy prospect. I know that is the only way to win championships. Amen is a diamond in that regard. I’m not shifting Amen to his second best position to make way for an allegedly non-elite prospect. Amen is an elite prospect.

If drafting the player is going to result in either him sitting or someone else playing out of position, then that’s the time to trade the pick.

Personally I think no big deal if our pick barely plays first season and has to earn every minute. However I’m not interfering with Amens development. I’m not even happy we haven’t played him much at PG yet.

#155 Mathloom, Jun 16, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
    Hemingway likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

How aren't you offended?

I simply replied cordially with my reasonings for why I think your take is wrong on a basketball opinion. And you reply asking why I have the audacity to reply to you with my reasonings for a topic about basketball in basketball forum.

Quite frankly it seems like you are just angry that I put some effort into explaining why I think you are wrong that 5-15 players in his year draft are not capable of replacing Green as you claimed. I actually explained it and you rather than accepting that maybe I had some valid points you just flip the table and go meta asking what is the list of even replying and going back and forth about a discussion about the Houston Rockets on a Houston Rockets message board.

17. cml750

cml750 Member

What you do not seem to understand is that I am perfectly okay with you thinking I am wrong. You did spend some time coming up with a well thought out argument. I give you points for that. I personally do not think the topic is worth that much thought and effort because it is purely hypothetical and its not even remotely possible a veteran will ever go back into the draft. Time will tell the story of Jalen Green. We will all be very happy if he becomes all he is capable of becoming.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  18. fchowd0311

So why were you offended I merely replied with my reasonings?

Like why even post that comment?

Were you that upset they couldn't find actual meat in terms of talking points related to the matter to counter anything I typed that you resorted to 'why are you replying to me?".

You responded with your reasons and I did with mine at it was all basketball related with nothing personal and then you made it personal. Why?

19. cml750

cml750 Member

Your fallacy is thinking I was ever actually offended. I am okay with your opinion being different than mine. If you took my response as somehow being offended then I apologize perhaps I dd not word it well.

20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

The only thing that is going to affect Jalen is Jalen. Either he steps up or he is gone or benched.