1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jose Abreu Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by jim1961, Jun 14, 2024.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

2. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

I was actually surprised they released him today. It appeared the organization was willing to hang in there with this ridiculousness with Abreu for a while longer. Abreu wasn't the only issue of course but it was hard to take the Astros seriously anymore due to this Abreu situation.

Stephen66 likes this.
  3. MAstroS

MAstroS Member

Correct, not the only issue but hopefully it is one less thing to worry about now.

Stephen66 and roxallways like this.
  4. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

think this thread has run its course... moving on

Stephen66 likes this.
  5. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

rockets fans thought they were going back to the WCF after signing ty lawson lol

he said hold my beer.

DreamShook likes this.
  6. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Appreciate deez nuts

7. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Bring back Yuli dammit

lnchan likes this.
  8. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

I said it before but I'll say it again, it's not like he was sucking on purpose. It's unfortunate it didn't work out. I do wish him all the best and if he doesn't sign with another team, he did have a solid career. One of the reasons why he signed with Houston was he wanted a chance at a World Series ring. Hopefully Houston can somehow win it this year so they can send him a ring. Although if I'm Abreu, not sure I would want it lol. It'll give me ptsd everytime I look at it.

roadtrip likes this.
  9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

I can't hate a man for getting old,all the hate goes to the organization for keeping the charade going too long.

10. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

Should have ended a month ago...

raining threes likes this.
  11. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Lance McCullers contract also is a waste of money, Lance McCullers always injured.

raining threes likes this.
  12. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

After the Season is over Jeff Bagwell and Reggie Jackson need to go.

The Front Office don't need Old Players telling them what to do.

raining threes and Stephen66 like this.
  13. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard
    Supporting Member

We need to respect the human element of this.

RKREBORN likes this.
  14. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Jeff Bagwell and Reggie Jackson, or Enos Cabell or any other former player is not the problem.

People who have DONE IT can supply valuable and much needed information and perspective.

There must be that balance.

And I believe there is.

Bagwell and Jackson are just the part fans hear about.
    Maybe they are more influential w/ Crane than is ideal, but nowhere near what some ignorant fans think. Crane is an Alpha and makes his own decisions.

Bagwell was sent to recruit Abreu, which should be a perfect role for him. He did not decide to sign him. And several different people and types of people had input before the decision to pursue him was made.

A problem would happen if all the stat and metrics guys behind the scenes disappear or lose their voice. And this team has lost some of the most public and known of them, but still have several.

The hate Jeff gets on this board makes me nuts because he is such an Astro icon and because it's coming from such a point of ignorance.

15. Radricky

Radricky Member

It really is crazy how much hate he gets.
    It reminds me of the altuve buzzer junk.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I am really curious if it was Jeff Bagwell idea to Fire Jeff Luhnow, AJ Hinch and lose the core of the Front Office Mike Elias, Sig Mejdal Analytics Staff, The Orioles look Fantastic with Mike Elias, Sig Mejdal. Jeff Luhnow is a Successful Owner of a Soccer Team.

I think the Dynasty run is over, now it is Dana Brown turn to a Rebuild and Grow the Prospects.

Stephen66 likes this.
  17. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Mauricio Dubon reminds me of Yuli Gurriel and Marwin Gonzalez (Japan)

18. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Dubon just keeps improving and he is clearly a boon to club chemistry.

I always felt he was a valuable 13th guy on the bench, but he has become more than that.

He is now a GOOD #10 lineup option and utility player and one of the most visible and vocal players on the team. He just plays with such joy.

He is still limited in CF and very unnatural (looking) at 1b, but is good at 2b, SS, 3b, and LF. I think he should be starting 4 of 5 games.

I think he could be a candidate for an extension.

He makes $3.5M now w/ 2 years of arb left. I think a 4 yr $32M deal buying out 2 FA years would be good for him and the Astros.

It would make tons of sense to play him more and more at 2b as Altuve has more off days and DH days over the next 4 years.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Agree with every point. But folks need someone to blame.

For me, its like gambling. Every move is a gamble. Sometimes you win, sometimes not. Additionally, gamblers have streaks. Some good, others not. Signings like Jose Abreu was a gamble turned sour. It happens. Most of us thought it a good gamble before he took the field or entered the batters box.

We had a long streak of mostly moves that turned out, lately not as much. Doesn't mean there is sudden evil or incompetence in the FO.

I will say that IMO, we need more investment in young talent rather than older guys. Some of the calculus that made this team strong have seemed to given way to big signings. More emphasis to the short term rather than the long term.

Buck Turgidson and Snake Diggit like this.
  20. J.R.

J.R. Member

Jeffrey’s the one that started the back of the baseball card bullshit. Suddenly the rookie manager and new GM (who came from a totally different organization) are spouting that bullshit. Jeffrey said “**** analytics, **** what made you successful, you’ve gone too far.” Yes, let’s move away from what made us successful and fire those people. Yes, fire Luhnow, fire Click after winning a World Series. ****ing brilliant. Anytime you can run off Reid Ryan, Jeff Luhnow, James Click, AJ Hinch for Jeff Easterby and Reggie Jackson, you just gotta do it. No brainer.

Sending 37 year old to Florida (and then sending Bagwell) because you want to save face and think you can fix him? ****ing embarrassing. Father Time is undefeated. Should we send 35 year old Pressly to Florida to “fix him”?

Reggie said there’s 4/5 of them making decisions/input.

Yeah, Jim always signed off on the big moves.
    Jim, who listened to Jeff and let Jeff work, who listened to Mike Elias, Sig Mejdal, Kevin Goldstein, Oz Ocampo…
    Jim, who now listens to Reggie ****ing Jackson and Jeff Easterby and Biggio and Dana Brown

If Jim is making the decisions, why so much heat/hate on Dana Brown?
    “Shut up Dana! Dana stop talking! Rolling my eyes at Dana! Bench/SP sucks, thanks Dana! Dana didn’t sign anyone! Go do something Dana!”
    If he’s basically just a scouting director (but with GM title) running the draft, he’s had what one draft?

Why was Ausmus ever a candidate for GM/Manager? Hmm…

He’s a legend and played here so he above criticism? **** that noise.

Get Jeff Easterby and Reggie Jackson and any former players outta here.
    Go back to being Spring Training rover instructors.

[​IMG]

#60 J.R., Jun 15, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2024