1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case to Draft Reed Sheppard at #3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, May 20, 2024.

1. NewAge

NewAge Member

yes, Sengun is much further along, even though he’s only 6 months older than Amen.
    I get why people are high on Amen, but age matters,and for a supposed phenom he wasn’t that young when he came to the league…

AroundTheWorld and cml750 like this.
  2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Well it did get him run out of town.....

cml750 likes this.
  4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun is a level 2 tier player at his position. The two guys in tier one are Jokic and Embid, who both shoot great from the 3, and aren't true prospects for us to aquire.

We don't have any level 2 tier guards or forwards on our team. That is where we need to upgrade most.

Screenshot_20240610-083042~2.png

5. darksoul35

darksoul35 Member

Cal was making calls to Ohio state to see if there was gonna be an opening right before the tournament. He lost his fire at Kentucky. His offense has always been basic and he refuses to run a simple zone. Dude can recruit though

6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Amen is the Rockets #1 prospect, based upon what we've been hearing from the HC, FO and insiders and I guess Sengun is yours.

However, just as I said, I think the pick or trade should be who can best help Amen at the PG spot moving forward.

BasketballMind likes this.
  7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I don't know or not if you actually watched the playoffs but the Celtics have been avg at best with their 3pt shooting. They were good during the season but the TRUE TEST of course is the Playoffs.

During the Regular Season there are many variables but in the Playoffs its mono e mono, YOU vs YOUR OPPONENT. Golden States 3pt shooting never wavered. If you look at Boston, the majority of their 3pt shooting is coming from their bench players.

Which brings me back to Reed Sheppard, I'll admit, I only saw him play 2 or 3 times during the course of the yr and during the 2 times during the season, he was amazing but in the NCAA TOURNAMENT did he show us who he really is?? I don't know because the Draft is a gamble. And that's why I prefer gambling on someone with length, because its easier to get off of a unproductive center, than a unproductive 6'2 guard, if needed.

BasketballMind likes this.
  8. meh

meh Contributing Member

2024 NBA playoff average 3p% 35.1%
    Celtics playoff 3p% 36.2%. They also shot the most 3s of any team in the playoffs on a per-game basis

Strawberry Gum and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Literally none of this is true.

AroundTheWorld and cml750 like this.
  10. MystikArkitect

I'm just trying to understand if you're trolling or not.

11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Glen Rice? Anyone want some used hair gel? [​IMG]

12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

MY bad but 35% is avg in the NBA. However, this series and the Indy series, they were not all that great.

13. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Its very much true. Amen is able to do things that no one else is able to do. However, its not just me, its the Rocket's FO.

#1293 hlmbasketball, Jun 10, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2024
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

None of what you said is true

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  15. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

First of all, you can't compare everybody against the Warriors team starting core back in their Championship years. Boston was the 2nd best 3 PT% shooting team all season and guess what? Their only two losses in the playoffs were when Miami shot 23-43 (53.5%) from behind the arc, and when Cleveland shot 46.4% from behind the arc.

Secondly, you are wrong about the majority of their 3 PT shooting coming off the bench. 72% of their 42 attempts per game came from their starting core, and they did it well. Secondly, it shows that incorporating great 3 PT shooters from the bench is really smart, and that great bench players help make a Championship level team.

Look at our 3 PT shooting compared to their starting core and * 3 highest minutes bench players compared to us.

Holiday 42.9%.
    White 39.6%
    Tatum 37.6%
    Porzingis 37.5%
    Brown 35.4%

* Horford 41.9%
    * Pritchard 38.5%
    * Hauser 42.4%

VanVleet 38.7%
    J. Smith 36.3%
    Brooks 35.9%
    Green 33.2%
    Sengun 29.7%

*Thompson 13.8%
    *Eason 36%
    *Whitmore 35.9%

Do you see the huge difference in starting players and bench players? They have 7 of their highest minute players shooting better than everyone on our team but VanVleet from behind the arc, and 4 shooting better than him.

I understand your point of worrying about trying to dump an undersized guard if he doesn't work out, but No Guts No Glory. We need 3 PT shooters. I just don't believe Sheppard will be worse than our starters and bench, or is going to be a failure after a couple years. He has too much natural talent, with quick hands to steal, great court vision and passing skills, along with fantastic shooting, a great character, and very high BBIQ. I don't expect to hear about him having so many of the big problems some of these kids get themselves into outside the court either.

#1295 deb4rockets, Jun 10, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2024
    Little Bit likes this.
  16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I sincerely wonder if you ever watched or played a basketball game. I sincerely believe the only interaction you have with basketball is staring at 3 pt percentages.

17. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I honestly don't care what you think. I do know one thing. You act like you are some expert NBA teams are dying to hire as their coach. I wasn't even talking to you. I was responding to someone else about what they said about the Celtics' "average" 3 PT shooting.

snowconeman22 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  18. cheke64

cheke64 Member

What tier is Jalen?

19. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

All of this debating is for nothing because we are all about to be screwed.

20. maj21

maj21 Member

Yeah, they’re extremely high on Amen. I’m not gonna get into who’s the top prospect or whatever, but they absolutely love that kid