1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Cam Whitmore putting in work

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Sep 12, 2023.

?

Is he ready with a bigger role and more responsibilities AKA minutes - this early

This poll will close on Sep 12, 2025 at 3:14 AM.
  1. yes

308 vote(s)
    84.8%
  2. no

55 vote(s)
    15.2%
  1. SamFisher

SamFisher Member

Uh, he averaged 3 assists (3 TO) in the G league while getting superstar 27% usage , tossing up 19 shots a game .

That doesn't make scream an especially good or willing passer, though it is better than the NBA where he was basically allergic to passing

cmlmel77 likes this.
  2. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

He can pass, but his role has been as primary scorer - and he is good at that - so I expect as playing time opens up and becomes more regular that his passing will flourish, he is 19, he will be an excellent 2 way player.

DD

3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

It is the aggression he plays with the FIRE/PASSION/ANGER - so few players come in the league with that KILLER instinct, and that is what sets many of them apart - when you combine BBall IQ, skill, athleticism and Killer instinct, those players develop to a higher level.

I see that in Cam, I don't see it in all of our players......especially cream puffs like Jalen.

DD

4. rimrocker

rimrocker Member

We really expect a teenager to improve after his rookie year?

[​IMG]

5. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

Sengun/Adams
    Bari/Amen
    Tari/Cam
    Jalen?/Cam/Sheppard
    FVV/Amen/Sheppard

We need to trade Dillon so Tari, Cam, and Amen get their minutes. Really important.

6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

7. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

You probably won't be able to trade him without someone coming back that'll also need minutes. He has 60 million left on his deal over 3 more seasons. That's not a salary dump contract. That's a contract you trade only in the type of deal where you are exchanging players.

I mean maybe you can figure out a way to do a 2nd round pick type of deal for a team that REALLY wants him, but I don't know if he played well enough last year to get that much attention. I think we are stuck with him at least another season or two, and hopefully Tar/Cam/Amen make it to where he's relegated to a bench role, and we just live with the salary as a sunk cost for relevancy in the 23/24 season.

8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member
    Supporting Member

If we trade him for Brogdon or Caruso, it will definitely cut into Cam minutes. Not so much Amen’s and Tari’s. Any trade we make for anybody will do the same unless it’s just an expiring and draft pick(s) that we don’t have to play. My major concern is Brooks taking too many of Amen’s minutes who’s defense and transition game is going to be key to our making the playoffs. Ime for all his greatness may defer to vet Brooks over the younger, better players.

9. Aruba77

Aruba77 Member

that sucks. I really hope u are wrong.

DaDakota likes this.
  10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Member

Yeah I think I could potentially be if there's a deal similar to the one like the Rockets made to get Adams for a few 2nd round picks, etc. However Brooks has to have some nice value around the league, and right now I don't know how accurate that it, but could be wrong. Maybe the Mavericks as an example look at their roster this Summer, and say look... we could have beat the Celtics if we just had a solid veteran enforcer at the 2/3/4, and maybe they just really like the fit of Brooks for next year.

Might be possibility where analytically it shows that Brooks is the best player in the league at defending X superstar, and X superstar is considered a team to beat to win a title.

So who knows, but I personally don't see Brooks as being super valuable. Especially with that many years left. I think you'll have to rely on a contending team that says "we are one Dillon Brooks away from beating X team in the playoffs." Kind of a unique player to move on his contract. One or two years left... different player to get moved altogether.

don grahamleone and jcmoon like this.
  11. ShiniKashi

ShiniKashi Member

Carmelo never learned to pass

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Didn't need to because he demanded everyone else pass to him :D

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He loved to pass to the rim. :D

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

"He's only 19" explains every single flaw Cam has. Don't you people get it?

duluth111222, GotGame15 and Dobbizzle like this.
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

The bright side is his contract does go down every year while the cap continues to increase. During the last year I would like see the % of cap numbers for each season.

dobro1229 likes this.
  16. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Remember though that the cutoff is 21!

17. Jontro

Jontro Member

carmelon was also only 19.

clutchdabear likes this.
  18. leebigez

leebigez Member

What is green talent that people speak so highly of?

19. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Ask all the NBA players, coaches and pundits who rate him in podcasts, they evidently know a lot more than you do.

20. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I see this in both Cam and Jabari, and a little bit in Tari and Amen they seem to want to hoop, it seems like this is their life and they visibly do not like losing. I have not visibly seen this from Jalen, he seems content losing, part of that is a result of Silas and Stone's approach the first two years and setting the bar low as a team.