1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Mike Scotto: Rockets will shop the No. 3 overall pick ahead of the draft in hopes of landing a star

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, May 28, 2024.

1. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

You're right, he does need to get more consistent, a lot more consistent. Regardless of that though, even with the inconsistency he's still shown more than any young draftee on the roster not named Sengun, and even that's debatable with how mediocre Sengun's first 2 years were on offense. And he's done that "playing badly." Think about that for a moment. The guy who is the most inconsistent and most hated draft pick STILL has more star performances and generated more hype in one month than everybody else combined. And y'all wanna throw it away for a scrub and a reacharound handjob from your forum buddies? Great logic.

Rashmon likes this.
  2. dkamberi25

dkamberi25 Member

Great info/post. Even with how inconsistent I though Green was what he did in the 2nd half of last season alone makes me excited for the player he is and can develop into.

If what you posted was asked as a question I probably would have guessed a number less than half of what you show. Just shows that in addition to the athleticism he is more consistent than I thought which at his age makes me believe he can only get better.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Member

someone on Twitter did the analysis the other day. In like the last 4-5 drafts, he’s one of the worst top 3 picks thru their first 2 seasons. The other is Jahil Okafor.

you can think all you want about his play this past season. I think much improved but still…. Meh. Now an ok 3 pt shooter with ok defense. Still soft physically. Still too many mental loses. Still to volatile on shot efficiency. Still virtually no self creation game.

you can think what you want about is future. I am hopefully but nowhere as high as most of y’all. I’d be very surprised if he ever makes an all star team. Bear in mind neither Sabonis or Alpi made it this year.

but unquestionably he’s been underwhelming so far as a top 3 pick.

No Worries and BigShasta like this.
  4. raining threes

Who said I wanted to throw him away for a scrub? I would hold onto him until the trade deadline and see if he's improved. I wanted Green to be the pick and I want to see this out. However I've been disappointed in his play so far.

AroundTheWorld and BallSoHarden like this.
  5. raining threes

And my post that his play fell off against good teams the Rockets needed to beat to make the playoffs is also true.

AroundTheWorld and clutchdabear like this.
  6. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Not just that but if you look back, considering the adjustments he went through at the beginning of the yr; changes in teammates, HC, etc. Jalen still flashed.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  7. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

This is what nobody seems to realise, Green is both very inconsistent and ALSO the player who has by far the most star potential, by far the most star performances, by far the most highlights, by far the most huge games on high efficiency. It's actually crazy, the Sengtards managed to spin youthful inconsistency to "this is a bust" for a player who has shown so much star potential that when I talk to friends about the opinions on here they think y'all are mental. For reference

Jalen Green year 1:
    20 pt games - 18
    30 pt games - 7
    40 pt games - 1

Alpi, Bari, Tari, Cam, Amen year 1:
    20 pt games - 26
    30 pt games - 1
    40 pt games - 0

Jalen Green year 2:
    20 pt games - 29
    30 pt games - 12
    40 pt games - 4

Alpi, Bari, Tari year 2:
    20 pt games - 28
    30 pt games - 2
    40 pt games - 0

Jalen Green year 3:
    20 pt games - 26
    30 pt games - 11
    40 pt games - 2

Alpi year 3:
    20 pt games - 26
    30 pt games - 8
    40 pt games - 1

Jalen Green total:
    20 pt games - 73
    30 pt games - 30
    40 pt games - 7

Alpi, Bari, Tari, Cam, Amen total:
    20 pt games - 80
    30 pt games - 11
    40 pt games - 1

And y'all can also drop the narrative that Jalen's had nothing but the green light since day 1 also. If you like I'll go back to his rookie year and quote all the complaining of him being parked in the corner doing nothing whilst KPJ and Wood stunk up the court. Second season? Sure, that was the Jalen show. Last year he spent most of the season watch FVV and Sengun play grandpa ball. Feel free to compare Jalen's year 2 to Alpi's year 3 for who's the better scorer as focus of the offense. Sure, Jalen's been inconsistent. He's also consistently had WAY more scoring gravity, impact and prowess in his career so far than our entire "core 5." It takes literally all of them combined to come up with more 20pt (average scoring) games than Jalen, they can't even dream of competing on actual big scoring performances. That's why the cognitive dissonance is insane, y'all all frame everything as if it's a given that we're moving on from Jalen, it's continuous and it's completely based in fantasy.

8. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Trading the #3 pick for Alex Caruso is like a fart in the face.

9. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

This is a good post. Why are we hearing other teams including Jabari, Amen, Cam and Sengun in trade packages for their scrubs? Because their fan bases covet our youth and way overvalue their players.

Stay the course Stone/Ime.

majicdonjuan and AroundTheWorld like this.
  10. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

After carrying the entire team on his back for a month, are you surprised? I thought Rockets fans were well schooled in watching their best player run out of steam at the end of the season after being the motor? Jalen's not really had as much practise as our other guy had though...

11. raining threes

You dont see these type of excuses for to 5-10 type players, even when they were rookies.

12. bustamove

bustamove Member

LOL after just 10 games - ran out of steam..

clutchdabear likes this.
  13. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

And still put up more star performances in a down season than Sengun did in his best season so far.

14. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

FIFY.
    Giving up the #3 for Caruso and a(n even) weak(er) pick would get Stone tossed into a boiling cauldron.

coachbadlee likes this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Coach doesn’t seem to think so at all, I’m going to agree with him.

It’s a very weird stance to have when there are 30 teams who all get easy stretches but you think in the whole NBA only Jalen Green took advantage of it. So we should dismiss it right? Because other teams don’t have easy stretches? Come on. You’re blaming him for losing against some of the best teams in the NBA without Sengun, Tari and sometimes Whitmore. We are not that caliber of team even if Jalen is on fire. You’re not going to consistently beat the best teams in the NBA with FVV as your second best player and three key players out of the rotation. That’s silly to even expect.

Only two teams won 11 games in a row. Boston and Houston. Being the leader of an 11-game winning streak and competing for player of the month is no joke. It’s not the same as getting hot from 3 for 8 games.

Training camp was all about basic fundamentals last season. Next season they’re starting with how to beat aggressive double teams and run an elite PnR with Sengun (things Udoka discussed in exit interview). His defense was neutral or net positive post ASB. Had a few exceptional defensive performances in his final month too. His passing and rebounding had clearly improved. Finishing and transition were better.

Really the only thing in question is shot selection and efficiency. It’s a question of whether it was a streak or a major step up followed by some exhaustion from a team that was overachieving for a long time. For me the evidence and body language and words from the people on the ground shows they’re really really confident this wasn’t just a streak and that it’s tactically replicable next season.

Jalen will surprise you, I’m telling you. There’s no coach watching this and thinking they don’t know how to get this out of him:

#435 Mathloom, Jun 8, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2024
    Rashmon, cmlmel77 and MadMax94$ like this.
  16. theDude

theDude Member

He takes the most shots on the team. Of course when they are falling, the team is going to do better. If you’re going to say he was carrying the team for that stretch, then you also need to credit him for dragging the team down the rest of the season. After the phenomenal month of March, he was only able to get his numbers back up to his career average. I mean, the guy was getting benched in fourth quarters before that run. The gaslighting is pretty amusing. We aren’t all crazy for being disappointed in his overall productivity, despite the flashes.

17. Plowman

Plowman Member
    Supporting Member

Truth!

18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I did not think he had that carrying mindset, dude was just ballistic and those shots went in .....if you watched his Year 1 and Year 2 (admittedly under Silas)

Him and KPJ were chucking it up big time.....this never changed.

He improved some of his overall game to the extent that it was serviceable and that I credit it to Udoka and the staff.

theDude likes this.
  19. raining threes

Man that's a lot of typing.

I simply said Green didn't play well at the end of the year. Which is true.

I hope y'all are right and Green turns out to be a superstar. The jury is still out at this point.

20. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

There still wasn't a single player younger than him that scored more last season besides Victor W. I am happy with Jabari. He will fit amazingly into a winning team not paid the max. You can NOT pay all of these guys if all of them were putting up numbers that constituted it. So I am hoping that Jabari is on the Rockets for at least the next 6 years until 27.

bustamove and BallSoHarden like this.