1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case to Draft Reed Sheppard at #3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, May 20, 2024.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

Don't you think he is a good deal more explosive and talented? Especially in terms of his overall feel on both ends? It seems to me that he is in the right place at the right time, all the time.

What are you seeing out there to compare him to Seth Curry? Genuinely interested.

2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Huh? Nobody else at the top has question marks on size and athleticism Sheppard is the only shorty with Trex arms.

3. roslolian

roslolian Member

If he is like that why did he play bad in March Madness? Other guys like Steph showed out in MM.

I am sure with his shooting ability Sheppard will at worst be Seth Curry. I think Sheppard has almost 0 bust factor and has the highest floor in the draft. But I also think he might have the lowest ceiling at the top due to his measurables. I dunno if that MM game will be the norm in the NBA cuz everybody in the NBA will be bigger taller and faster than him. If he can be locked down in college what happens in NBA?

if we were picking him 5+ then I would be happy with Sheppard. At 3 I'd like some star upside since thats what we got with Jalen, Jabari and Amen.

#883 roslolian, Jun 3, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 3, 2024
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't know the answer, but it was one game. Dillingham had a terrible game, too, and one virtual unknown on the opposing team went nuts and made 10 threes.

Pretty much everyone on the Kentucky team produced a stinker, except Antonio Reeves and Tre Mitchell, mabye.

Happens, I guess. Huge upset.

5. RC Cola

RC Cola Member

You're taking that sentence a bit too literally. Obviously I mean question marks in general (shooting, basketball IQ, age, etc). As in...all these prospects will need to overcome questions about their abilities. Reed has his, others have their own.

clutchdabear likes this.
  6. roslolian

roslolian Member

You are right, but also why I dont think any of these guys deserve top 3.

7. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Member
    Supporting Member

Anything else in his play that strikes you as Seth Curry, aside from that 1 game? He missed 4 shots. Hard for me to read much into it.

8. YaoMac09

YaoMac09 Member

The journey of Roslolian’s criticism of Sheppard:

1. He’s a bad defender
    2. He’s not athletic
    3. He’s just like Jimmer
    4. He only has a high vertical, but still not athletic
    5. He’s athletic and has great defensive numbers, but he is 6’1 with a small wingspan, you can’t be successful in the NBA if you’re undersized
    6. Sure he’s actually the average size for a PG, and we have an even smaller PG on the roster who’s one of our best players, but he has to jump really high which is an injury risk
    7. If he’s so good why doesn’t everyone rank him 1st then?
    8. He didn’t play well in MM

The goal post keeps moving

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

Sarr averages 9.6ppg
    Risacher averages 11.1ppg
    Clingan averages 13ppg
    Castle averages 11.1ppg

which one carried their team?

10. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

for one march madness game to carry so much weight in a player's evaluation is pretty laughable. if that game was a general trend of what happened during the season, then yes, there should be questions regarding that player's ability and impact. but if it was just a one-off... then nobody should be putting so much weight into it.

if people evaluated players regarding their play during march madness, then players like james harden and jaylen brown would not have been first round picks - both harden and brown laid absolute stinkers in march madness. but we all know better and that both players are star level players worthy of top picks.

on the other hand, you have players like juan dixon or shabazz napier who show out during march madness, only to become nobodies in the nba.

11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Those who are obsessed with March Madness heroes might want to draft the guy who scored 10 threes against Kentucky in that game...?

Or this guy...

Oh wait...

vince and clutchdabear like this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Do you understand what pluralization implies?

13. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, I hear ya. Wow, the guy missed 4 shots in that game. So what if the had the highest percentages by far of everyone else all year.

Meanwhile, we watched the starting SG on our team miss 2 or 3 times that many shots every damn month. You know, those 2 of 11, 2 of 12, 2 of 14, 2 of 16, and 2 of 17 type games.

BamBam and AroundTheWorld like this.
  14. JamesC

JamesC Member

I'm still mad we didnt take Rashard Lewis with one of our 3 first round picks that year but I digress...

Corrosion, AroundTheWorld and saleem like this.
  15. MystikArkitect

There isn't star upside in this draft. Reed is no less likely to become a star as Risacher, Topic, Sarr or Dillingham. They all project as role players or spark plug 6th men because they have massive warts. Lately Sarr has been dropping a bit in some people's eyes because he's incredibly raw with poor game feel. Risacher is exactly the same. Sheppard has the most game feel in the draft but he's short. If Risacher shot like Sheppard he'd be the consensus #1. If Sheppard was 6-9....same thing. Topic isn't Luka. Sarr isn't JJJ. Sheppard isn't Curry. Risacher isn't Brandon Miller or Paul George. This team doesn't need another wing prospect. We have too many as it is.

There will be a few All-Stars in this draft. Probably a Jalen Brunson or Giannis. But no one knows who that is. Right now Salaun is the prospect making waves and fairly certain that's who Stone went to go watch.

16. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Fyi….Sheppard isn’t 6’3”. If he was there wouldn’t be this conversation.

17. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

What we know: Reed’s a GREAT three point shooter. What we don’t know: Why 3 points in the biggest game of his career against subpar talent and at 6’1” does he have enough “other” game to overcome being small? Those are legit questions for a top three pick. He’s not Jimmer, but we have to make sure he’s not Pritchard or a smaller Steve Novak either.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The point is, comparing a freshman to a senior is wrong. A lot of college POYs are upper classmen. It's like comparing an NBA rookie to a 4-year veteran.

Sheppard is a freshman. You seem to think that's what he is and won't get any better. Curry's shooting percentage didn't change much in his 3 years in college. But his scoring improved from 21 ppg to 28. That's a huge difference volume-wise. If you can maintain your efficiency while significantly increasing your volume, you are improving.

clutchdabear and deb4rockets like this.
  19. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Member
    Supporting Member

This!

Easy likes this.
  20. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Member

@roslolian

[​IMG]