1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Just move up to get Sarr?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by glynch, Jun 1, 2024.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Fredette averaged 39 % from 3 in college. Sheppard 52 %.

Fredette averaged 1.2 steals and 0.1 blocks in college. Sheppard 2.5 steals and 0.7 blocks.

I don't think Fredette had a 42 inch vertical either.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

No, their games aren't similar at all.

Again, essentially the only thing they have in common is they are both white and project to play the 1 at least on paper.

They don't play the game the same way AT ALL, Sheppard is taller, significantly more athletic, shoots the ball better, is a MUCH better defender, is a much better passer, has a much higher BBIQ, was one and done in college rather than playing all 4 years....

Again, they have essentially nothing in common that's why it's either super lazy or super dishonest analysis.

You might as well be trying to compare Hasheem Thabeet to Wilt Chamberlain.

Snow Villiers likes this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I believe Fredette had a 33 inch max vertical....at 22 years old because he wasn't good enough to be considered for the draft at any point before his college eligibility ran out.

4. aelliott

aelliott Contributing Member

Fredette and Sheppard really don't have similar styles. Fredette was all about getting his own shot. He really didn't do much else. A knock on Sheppard is that he doesn't look for his own shot enough.

Sheppard gives you shooting and he's way more efficient that Fredette was. He also gives you plus defense while Jimmer gave very little defense. Sheppard also gives you passing, steals and even blocked shots.

Add to that the fact that Sheppard is a much better athlete than Fredette.

Sheppard is a way more complete player than Fredette. Is there anything that Fredette did better than Sheppard?

Fredett's strength was shooting. His best season, he had a TS% of 61.5% which is very efficient. Sheppard's TS% as a freshman was 69.9% which is off the charts.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

If Reed is anything like Jimmer Fredette he has no business being mentioned in the top 20 of the first round.

6. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

See the post above yours. Educate yourself.

7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Can't educate yourself off of another fans take. Stats are constantly thrown around in here and usually dont amount to anything. Remember Fredette was supposed to be the next great thing during his draft process too.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

@aelliott is one of the smartest posters on this site.

You can learn a lot from posters such as @NIKEstrad, @aelliott, @Will and others. They know their stuff.

9. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Most of all, what you all fail to realize, which is the uttermost important, was Jimmer WAS BYU.....while Reed was a role/bench player. Truth!

Jimmer was efficient at being the man/the cornerstone of the team. Its EXTREMELY hard to get your shot off time and time again, while you are constantly being guarded and defensive are geared to stop you VS being a role player off the bench and getting WIDE open shots.

10. aelliott

So you are under the impression that opponents chose to leave a 52% 3 point shooter wide open?

Fredette, did one thing - shoot. He was a zero or less at everything else. Sheppard and Fredette are nothing alike.

11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

You look at it and tell me what you see?? My eyes tell me that he was getting the majority of his shots off of assist....wide open! In the NBA, you have to MOVE.

#51 hlmbasketball, Jun 1, 2024
    Last edited: Jun 1, 2024
  12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I see.him getting wide open shots off of assist.

13. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Jalen Green shot 27% on wide open threes this season (about 2.3 attempts per game).

I'd rather have the guy shoot them who converts 52 % of those - Sheppard.

14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

You can't compare playing in the SEC to playing in the NBA. There is no comparison....most people understand that.

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Sengunatics are viewing this simply through the eyes of Sengun needs this, Sengun needs that, and getting married to Reed because on paper (or Youtube clips) Reed looks like a great floor spacer.

However objective Rockets fans have to view this in a vacuum as THE THIRD PICK in the draft, and the need to make sure you are drafting BPA.

Maybe Reed is that player at 3, and if that's the case... TAKE HIM. However I personally see him as Steve Kerr 2.0. Now...Steve Kerr was one of the most important role players OF ALL TIME. Amazing at what he did.... BUT he was a role player. Would the Bulls had been better if they could have had Mitch Richmond on their roster instead of Kerr.... whose to say. But one things for sure, Mitch Richmond was a far better player than Steve Kerr, and I PERSONALLY would pick Mitch Richmond over Steve Kerr in the draft even knowing now how historically important Kerr was to NBA history.

Point being... Get your head out of Sengun's a$$(make an all-star team before I draft a top 3 pick JUST for you), and think about things in a vacuum here. Assuming we have the 1st pick in the draft... who are your top three prospects??... IMO Reed is NOT in the top 3. Great fit if you need a floor spacing shooter. Not the best prospect to be worthy of a top 3 pick.

16. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Wide open = no defender within 6 feet.

17. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Kerr played with Michael Jordan. If you think Jalen Green is "the guy", and if you think Sheppard is "just" Kerr - Jordan/Kerr showed the fit. Nothing to do with Sengun.

BTW, Kerr was an amazing 3-point shooter, but nowhere near the passer or athlete or defender Sheppard is.

18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Buddy Hield was another great shooter/score who was higly touted coming out of college....HE WAS OU'S MAIN PLAYER, NOT A BENCH PLAYER LIKE REED.

He shot 45.7% 3pt on 8.7 attempts per game, almost double of Reed attempts and he is a fringe NBA player.

My thoughts are, you don't take a 6'2 shooting guard in a weak draft.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Everyone knows every post here has to do with Sengun with you. Don't act like we are idiots please.

I also wouldn't say "JUST" Kerr. Kerr was one of the best shooters of all time, and clutch players. I mention Kerr with a very very high amount of respect. Taking Kerr over Mitch Richmond in 88 in a revisionist history isn't all that crazy. Comparing Reed to Kerr is very high praise.

No idea what kind of tangent you are wanting to go on regarding Jalen. You can explore that tangent on your own I guess. What is the word??....Tangente?? Los Mach es.

20. aelliott

That probably means that a highlight reel isn't the best way to educate youself about a player.