1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston offered "several" Nets picks to Brooklyn for Mikal Bridges

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jan 31, 2024.

1. MystikArkitect

Lol. Sure.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Like I said if it went on too long then something went wrong.

However to be at .500 after 3 years of tanking and rebuilding is better than average. We're not at a "better watch out" point of the process.

We just tried to make the playoffs once after 3 years of tanking hardcore. We didn't go 8 years. It's important to recognize the difference. This team is almost ahead of schedule for a rebuild. That means whoever is leading it is not in the hot seat.

That's not all. There's no reason to believe we won't improve rapidly for the next few years just through internal improvement. The volume and quality of prospects is high and they all responded well to being coached hard last season.

Not sure how you can look at the situation and think we're on the brink of firing someone.

3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Trade #3 for Bridges, make BK even worse and the Rockets much better/solidify a playoff berth, then get another top 3 pick from BK next year in a draft that’s not as weak as this one?

Is that the play?

joshuaao, Dobbizzle, Bo6 and 3 others like this.
  4. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Brooks + 2025, 2027 swaps for Bridges

TEXNIFICENT and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Those are the picks we are trying to keep if they get those picks we need one or more the suns picks back

theDude likes this.
  6. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I just want accountability.

are we ahead of the curve because of the rebuild ? Or are we ahead of the curve based on being a popular market and having 60+ million in cap space that won’t have again .

I hope on the internal improvement , but I’m not 100 percent sure .

sengun is coming off injury
    Tari missed a season of development

im not saying I’d fire him right now . But if we don’t make the playoffs next year should we really keep him .

that would be a very below expectation season for most of clutchfans .

if that’s the case then his record would be
    -tank
    -tank
    -tank
    -trying above expectation
    -trying below expectations

I think that if you purposefully tank for 3 years , get gifted another top 4 pick … then you better meet expectations.

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Those are not picks, just swaps. Bridges is better than Brooks. You've got to give them something to compensate. Maybe they are willing to give us one of the Suns picks which are likely going to be non-lotto picks.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

If he could truly play SG then it could make sense, but he's a SF.

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

if we’re giving up the 3rd overall pick they better throw in the real brooklyn bridge too

BHannes2BHonest, Nook and Rudyc281 like this.
  10. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

The 2025 pick could be very valuable. Rockets swap first with OKC, who will be one of the best teams in the league, so 28+ range. Then with Brooklyn, who could be one of the worst and has no lottery projections. So they could jump from 30 to 1 (not liklely, but 28 to 8 is extremely possible). Whether we want another young player or not, that is a huge change in value we should not underestimate.

And next year is thought to be a good draft.

I like Bridges and think he will get back to form under Udoka on a good team. But I would only give 3+Green. Then at most swap 2026+ Pho/Bkn assets.

Easy and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Stop pursuing Bridges.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Given the leaks I’m assuming the trust level and relationship between Stone and Marks is not that great. So I wouldn’t lose sleep over a Nets/Bridges deal.

More than anything Stone wants a superstar trade, and so you’ll hear about the Nets this and that coming from the Rox leaks, but it’s mainly intent on driving interest of Nets picks for a team like NOLA, or CLE.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. Bo6

Bo6 Member

In a vacuum you would never trade #3 for Bridges.. but @Reeko's point, that does make them a pretty lousy team next year in a loaded draft. What other avenues does Brooklyn have to get better next year? I doubt they want to be horrible AND have no draft pick next year.

What is Bridges salary situation? Looks like he has 2 years left on his deal, right when we will have to start paying our core players big time money. I'd hate to lose him for nothing when we would be competing for a title.

robbie380 likes this.
  14. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think the real question is whether or not there was an impact superstar available when the Rockets picked in each of these drafts and I'm starting to believe the answer is No.

There was one and potentially a second drafted ahead of their pick in Chet & possibly Wemby (not sold yet).

But there's really no one drafted these last 3 drafts that's played at a superstar level for an extended time that was on the board when the Rockets made their pick.
    Yes, there were players who performed marginally better than the players the Rockets ultimately chose - but no superstars.

I'm not so sure that Stone didn't make the best of it with these draft picks.

That said, I'm out on a trade for Bridges. Do Not Want.

pippendagimp and darksoul35 like this.
  15. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I think we should make the playoffs but I don't know who's fault it's going to be if we don't. Definitely bad for Stone because no reason to miss the playoffs.

However, I was just making the point we didn't rebuild long and we're already at .500 on first attempt at winning. We're ahead of the curve for the median rebuild. Most teams take longer to get to .500. The Pistons actually thought they were in it for the playoffs. We don't have any flops like that.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  16. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Bridges infatuation is still asinine. Their fans thinking they can get all their picks back, Jalen and Tari for Bridges is insane.

17. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

I'd give them Jalen and number 3 pick for Bridges and Cam Thomas. This draft sucks.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. MystikArkitect

They aren't. It's just Brooklyn trying....again....to drum up a non existent bidding war.

They're going to take 2 late FRPs for him from a contender and they're going to like it. I'd rather trade for Coby White than for Mikal Bridges. This team needs a shooting guard in the worst way but the options are slim. Everyone available is a wing.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

No to the 25 pick swap. #3, 2027 Rockets pick and non-core filler be it Brooks or combination of other guys. That’s it. I’m really kind of cooling on the idea altogether, because I’m afraid it might steal too many minutes from Amen, who is our best hope at a superstar.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

How does trading the #3 pick for a 2 year rental of a 28 year old non-star make any sense for a non-contender team full of young players?