1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Is Donovan Clingan at the TOP of the Houston Rockets big board? We're talking Rockets and the NBA Draft live right now!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

18.2%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

9.1%
  3. Stephon Castle

2.0%
  4. Donovan Clingan

9.3%
  5. Zach Edey

3.1%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.1%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.6%
  8. Reed Sheppard

42.6%
  9. Nikola Topić

7.9%
  10. Dalton Knecht

1.0%
  1. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

I agree with you, but the point is that NONE of these players would be top 5 picks in a typical draft. That's why the mocks are so volatile, people are flip flopping through the prospects every time they see something that's slightly above average, hyping them up, then realising that it doesn't set them apart from the next guy and repeating the process.

saleem and MystikArkitect like this.
  2. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

3. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Imagine trade down with Blazers and still get Reed Sheppard. If it’s for future picks I’d target the Bulls, though by 11 Shep has already been gone.

Rudyc281, Shark44 and JayZ750 like this.
  4. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

If he can shoot he’s the best prospect in the draft. But can you really put that much on the workouts without seeing it in actual games? Tough call. But if he’s gonna be a decent shooter you have to take him.

5. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Nope.

Any GM putting stock into that is dumb as hell. Any hooper knows shooting only matters in the game. Even dudes like Dwight Howard can knock down shots in practice.

Dudes even have completely different FT% in practice vs games and the only thing that changes is that there are more people watching them shoot and making noise.

6. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

We saw Lively, Mark Williams and Walker Kessler swishing threes in an empty gym and got high. Looking back how many threes have they made, collectively in their NBA life so far? Lively and Williams combined to go 0 for 2 in three total seasons. Yes you heard them right, they attempted fewer threes than the total number of seasons they played, and made the same number as me. Kessler shot 5 for 22 in his 2 season with Jazz. I’m not moved. (Even with some shooting I’m not moved ala Brook Lopez).

Clingan shoots around a paltry 50% and change on the charity line. Chances are that he’s not going to even vacation on the 3 point line.

Folks should really watch guys like Drummond swishing 3s and playing point guards in street courts in Chicago. Open gyms shooting are so overrated.

#2446 yixiixiy, May 31, 2024
    Last edited: May 31, 2024
  7. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Even Ben Simmons would look like a shooter in an open gym. Drills mean absolutely nothing.

Easy, clutchdabear, saleem and 3 others like this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He took only 9 3pt shots in 74 college games and made only 2. One could conceivably argue that it was his role and he just followed order from the coach. But if he could shoot the 3 well, why wouldn't the coach have him do more? And his .558 FT shooting doesn't give you the vibe of a good shooter.

9. Rokman

Rokman Member

Argument for Clingan, the NCAA Champion Center:

You Can't Teach Height

I know, great argument huh. LOL

RollingWave likes this.
  10. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Not sure anyone has mentioned but Sengun and Clingan share the same agent.

I don’t think it happens unless the Rockets have him top of their board, which I highly highly doubt.

Or, pick him for the sake of trading down. But with the top of the draft so precariously volatile, I don’t think it happens either.

saleem likes this.
  11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I hope we don't try to get cute and trade down. I think the trade for Clingan is at 5 with Det.

SA will probably take whoever we don't take between Sheppard, Castle or Topic. Topic seems like an old Spurs kind of pick and Castle seems like a new one.

13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Great videos, thanks for posting.

One of my team members who is a Kentucky alum and life-long fan who watched all their games all these years said this to me today:

"Sheppard is the best long pass fast break passer I’ve ever seen play at any level. Our fast break time from rebound to our goal was out of this world when he played."

In addition to his obvious fit with Sengun who would feed him for threes all day long, this also fits really well with our fast athletes like Amen, Cam and Jalen (if still here). They can outrun most people.

Just think about it - we didn't have a losing record last season.

In addition to the natural growth of our franchise player Sengun and guys like Amen, Bari, Cam (and Jalen, if still here), you add these three guys:

• Tari Eason (one of the most impactful players in college and the NBA, as measured by box plus/minus)
    • Steven Adams (an offensive rebounding monster and one of the best screen setters in the league)
    • Reed Sheppard (the best three-point shooter coming out of college possibly since Steph Curry, insane steal and block rate and vertical, good passing, super high basketball IQ)
    50+ wins if this happens, I'm calling it now.

#2453 AroundTheWorld, May 31, 2024
    Last edited: May 31, 2024
    BamBam, bluffkin, Genesis and 5 others like this.
  14. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I'm here for Dalton Knecht at 3.

Why Dalton Knecht was a Day 1 winner at the NBA Draft Combine (on3.com)
    Very good measurables:
    NBA Draft Combine live results: Height, wingspan and more measurements for 2024 NBA Draft prospects | Sporting News
    6'5.25" in socks, 6'9" wingspan, 212 lbs, 8'6" standing reach. 39" vertical. Nothing alien or anything but a very big, strong, quick athlete.

Shooting percentages are very good on decently high volume. Low turnovers. Plays with swag. The offense is so, so polished. Maybe it's because he's 23 but I can't tell why other players are hyped over him right now. Maybe it's long term potential, but his development runway to NBA is short af and he's going to be an easy 20ppg scorer in the right situation.

What has me convinced and hyped though is the way he initiates offense without the ball. He'll cut, slash a defense to death. He'll run around as many screens as needed. He'll pass and relocate for open shots. He sort of reminds of Klay Thompson off-ball... but then he also has a strong handle, get to the paint and kicks or finishes very well. That's the guy you want to pair with Sengun. I've been very supportive of Jalen Green but with this type of player in the wings, Jalen either sustains the post all-star tour all year long or gets run out of town. Honestly in this draft, if Dalton Knecht were 19 he'd be a consensus #1 pick.

Dalton Knecht 2024 NCAA tournament highlights (youtube.com)

Amen - Knecht - Eason - Smith - Sengun lineup would wreck fools.

Shark44 and Rudyc281 like this.
  15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

He's a 45 year old Chase Buddinger.

16. palmsnbananas

palmsnbananas Member

BPA -

Dalton Knecht or Topic

One of the oldest guys and one of the youngest in the draft

I honestly don't see much from these other dudes I'm sorry

I like Risacher I like Sarr and I'm assuming they are going 1 and 2

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Didn't we see Amen Thompson hitting lots of 3s in a practice drill video?

18. Rokman

Rokman Member

Doubtful

saleem likes this.
  19. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

I pretty much always agree with your basketball takes

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

Risacher would be interesting but he won't be available at 3 so nothing has changed. Take Reed Sheppard

It's a win win, we need to make a decision on Green. If Reed is a hit we can trade Green or let him walk and extend Sengun and keep the payroll to a minimum for another year till we need to pay Bari and Tari

daywalker02 likes this.