1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Nico collins gets extension

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by tallanvor, May 28, 2024.

1. jch1911

jch1911 Member

Saw this while I was at my daughter's moving on ceremony to Jr. High (2.5 hours! :mad::confused::oops:)

Anyway, thought it was a great deal.
    Check our Nico's #s when he had JAG QBs (Davis, Tyrod) throwing him the ball.

4 dropped balls in his ENTIRE NFL career and it literally doubled with CJ (which I found interesting as heck).
    His avg drop % is less than 1.7% IIRC.
    In 2023, 2 WRs had over 100 targets and less than 1.8% drop: Nico and checks notes Justin Jefferson.
    This deal is a steal / FMV IMHO.
    https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/C/CollNi00.htm

2. dmoneybangbang

How much would potentially be left if we do like 2 year deal for Diggs?

3. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Yea but the good qb will be here for the whole contract… so isn’t it possible or even probable that he would have more like it?

4. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I didn’t even know it was after this year.. Ridley was 4 for 92!!! Y’all trippin.

red5rocket and texans1095 like this.
  5. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Agreed.. devonta smith got 25 a year Ridley got 4/92, even if it’s close this year, it will be a mega steal when JJ and Chase sign deals and set the market.

jch1911 likes this.
  6. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Member
    Supporting Member

To me, the only reasonable angle to criticize this extension is from a health perspective. Prior to last year Nico missed a lot of time to injuries. Was last year a fluke? Were the first couple years a fluke? There's no way to know for sure, but I could see a viewpoint that we should have waited until later in the season to do the extension when there is a little more data. Of course, there is risk there too because if you waited then maybe Nico racks up more and more yards/TDs/receptions and that contract gets more expensive.

Overall, I'm pretty damn happy about this, and between Tank, Nico and Dalton I think CJ will have sufficient weapons to throw to for the next several years.

7. magman

magman Member

While I would have loved to have a couple of years of high production, and health before doing a big extension, I can't fault the team for betting on him and signing him to and extension before the market explodes.

If he produces like last year, and stays healthy, it will be a steal

red5rocket likes this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. Blatz

Blatz Member

Since Stroud, every year has now become Super Bowl or bust.

ROCKSS, cbass and Rockets FTW like this.
  10. conquistador#11

Love it. It's a three year deal.
    Next year's first round and 2nd round picks will be WR and DT, in order of your liking while recruiting another star at the probowl.

A_3PO and red5rocket like this.
  11. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

I'm just cherishing this last year with Bobby Slowik as OC... if the Texans don't win a Super Bowl this year, it'll be a woulda coulda shoulda type year in this Stroud rookie window. Slowik is going to be a HC after this year so appreciate what you got while you have it.

Stroud/Slowik as a duo is nuts and I don't think many NFL fans realize how stupid good the addition of Diggs and Mixon were.

There isn't a defense out there that can stop the Texans from doing what they want to do and who knows how big of a leap Stroud takes in year 2 with these weapons o_O

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. Rockets34Legend

13. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed but I don't think we'll have a lot of cap space next year. Right now, OverTheCap shows us at $12M next year.

14. Qan

Qan Member

3 year deal. That's great, I was afraid it would've been 4.

15. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Contracts get restructured all the time along with cap casualties, etc. There's a reason teams like the Eagles have stayed relevant.

I wouldn't worry about "cap" for next year when there's nothing us fans can do about it. FO deserves the benefit of the doubt and it's a championship window with all the rookie deals.

dmoneybangbang and jch1911 like this.
  16. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Not sure why you said this being that I’m not “worried” about contracts or the championship window. I’m all in for what’s been done. My response was to recruiting a pro bowler.

17. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Member

I love it, it's a calculated risk for sure but the upside is tremendous. Nico gets paid early and the Texans don't pay $30 million a year if he performs like he did last year. Sign a great player early and then start drafting his replacement

Rockets FTW and Sooty like this.
  18. J.R.

J.R. Member

jch1911 likes this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. percicles

percicles Member