1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Mock Draft Thread - Rockets #3 Pick

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, May 12, 2024.

1. carl_herrera

carl_herrera Member

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-b...011/ncaa-moving-3-point-line-back-next-season

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Because someone else can select him before the 5th pick, if they want him.

3. lpbman

lpbman Member

I've seen several mock drafts with the Spurs taking Dillingham at 4. Likely? Who knows, Outside of Sarr I haven't seen any consensus at all among the top 14 or so guys. Clingan at two or twelve... no idea. Knecht at 5 or 14? I guess I haven't seen Risacher fall out of the top 5, so there is another data point to work with.

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Ok, a half like. Still worried Shepherd can't get his shot off against NBA defenses and is not great at defense or point guard.

Mathloom likes this.
  5. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

In short, the same scouting report that some had for Steph Curry.

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

yeah, but still worried. Curry is a better shooter and certainly seems quicker to me.

7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Sheppard is a much better defender and is ahead of where Steph was across the board when comparing them after their freshman seasons.

I'm not saying Sheppard will be Steph, I'm just saying the blueprint for Sheppard being a star certainly exists and that's why a lot of people are so high on him as a prospect. He has the highest floor in the draft class.

BamBam and cml750 like this.
  8. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I think you right that he has the highest floor. Steph has incredible handles and quickness going to the hoop. I don’t think Sheppard will ever have that, although he might can develop enough handle to get off mid-level jumpers. He is not a creator, Steph is a creator. The only reason Sheppard is in the conversation as an NBA player is his 3-pt shot.

HD729, OremLK, saleem and 1 other person like this.
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Saw a mock drafter compare him to a shooting Mike Bibby.

I thought Bibby was All Star caliber but never made it.

OremLK likes this.
  10. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Steph didn't have incredible handles after his freshman season... didn't really have them entering the league. He tightened up his handle after being in the NBA a while.

Steph wasn't really much of a creator either other than talking quick shots set up by moving screens.

You're comparing finished product Steph to just finished freshman season Shepard.

Shepard is already a better defender, he's got the shot, and he's a more explosive athlete.

All of the knocks on Sheppard, were more tired of Curry coming into the league.

Also, Curry isn't much of a creator even now.... there's a reason they have Draymond essentially run the point more than Steph.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

Steph Curry is an anomaly there have been hundreds if not thousands of shooting prospects who looked better than him in college but obviously no one has been better than him in the NBA.

A lot of analysts have looked at this draft and said it was pretty weak at the top, you got a quote out there saying if it was this draft started at 10 in a normal draft. Do you think the next Steph Curry will go at 10? It's funny to see CF collectively gaslight themselves into thinking Sheppard is Steph Curry but younger, athletic and with defense lol. There is a lot higher chance Sheppard turns into the next Seth Curry rather than the next Steph Curry.

#91 roslolian, May 27, 2024
    Last edited: May 27, 2024
  12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Risacher is my top choice ..... But I don't see him getting to us at #3. Atlanta could take him @1.

If they are both there, I take Risacher, If he's gone, I take Sheppard .... unless they are both gone.

Hell, they could go 1-2 and we're left looking at Sarr or .....???

OremLK likes this.
  13. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Steph was crazy, even as a freshman. Here are the highlights of his very first game in college:

He was looking a lot more to score than Sheppard is - and he already had that killer instinct. This isn't a knock against Sheppard, Curry is probably a top 10 player in the history of the league. But Curry was averaging a lot more points and was hitting the 3 at above 40% at almost 9 shots per game his freshman year, Sheppard was only shooting half those at his insane percentage.

Still, Sheppard is a better defender and passer than Curry was. He is a bit shorter and I believe he will have more trouble to create his own shot than Curry has (and I am not only talking about iso, I am also talking about using off and on the ball screens or cuts). I don't see him becoming a #1 option on a team. But getting a #2 option (or even a #3 option) at the third spot of a draft people are describing as historically weak is still pretty good.

And I really like the idea of him next to Amen. Both being great passers, one tall and ultra athletic, the other a lights out shooter. Both great defenders.

And just to be fair, here is a highlight video of Reeds best game:

#93 LikeMike, May 27, 2024
    Last edited: May 27, 2024
    Hui, BigMaloe, deb4rockets and 2 others like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Steph was a draft phenom.......he was overlooked for sure.

I think his story is like Cam Whitmore's, Cam is probably not going to get to Steph's level.

Sheppard was averaging 4 three attempts a game, that is like very low volume for a shooter.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I think we're pretty much on the same page, though I don't think he'd have trouble getting his shot off. I really was viewing him as more of a #2 or #3 option, the guy that makes you pay if you send that extra person to double Sengun or the guy to get an easy look from 3... or the guy the defense is so scared of shooting they leave someone else open.

For me he checks the boxes I'm looking for this draft

Great shooter
    Strong defense
    High BBIQ
    Position of need

BasketballMind and LikeMike like this.
  16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

A lot of analysts thought the 2021 NBA draft was strong at the top.... and the first 2 picks are looking a lot like busts.

There are no guarantees when you draft, any prospect can fail, but you draft them based on potential. Could Sheppard end up a Seth Curry? Sure.... but that's his floor.... and that's a pretty high floor. His ceiling is a more athletic Curry.

Odds are he'll fall somewhere in the middle... and that would be a REALLY good addition to the team, especially when paired with Sengun, Amen, Smith and Cam.

17. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

It's technically possible for Sheppard to become a great player.

But, there's never been a superstar small guard that didn't have elite handles.

It would be a first ever.

Without looking at a stat sheet...just watching them both play college basketball...comparing Sheppard to Steph Curry is pure insanity.

HD729 and No Worries like this.
  18. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

A more athletic Stephen Curry? You could even say he's...

19. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If you know what you are seeing when you watch basketball, your eye test should match the stat sheet.... so really there should be no difference.

20. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Yeah, I am with you on that. I don't think he will be a guy with lots of iso threes, but he isnt trigger shy coming of screens for example. And I don't expect him to hit 50% of this threes in the NBA - I also don't expect him to hit 40% as a rookie. But something like 37-38% would still be great.

I am a little worried about his size and I am a little worried about his playmaking ability, be it for himself or others. But he is someone that usually just does the right play and can hit his shot - and that is fine for me.