1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

18.8%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

8.8%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.8%
  4. Donovan Clingan

9.2%
  5. Zach Edey

2.8%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.0%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.7%
  8. Reed Sheppard

42.7%
  9. Nikola Topić

8.2%
  10. Dalton Knecht

1.0%
  1. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Take that horsecrap elsewhere.

BallSoHarden, Plowman, cbass and 3 others like this.
  2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

3. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

There's precedent for the Amen player type to be a functional player without shooting well - He can play the (improved) Draymond role much like he did to end the season and was playing very well. No, he won't be the point guard we drafted him to be but still a player who can contribute to winning with defense, rebounding, passing and scoring at the rim.

There isn't any recent history of a 2 guard playing extended minutes that shoots as poorly as Jalen for most of his career. If he doesn't significantly improve the shooting, he's a bench player at best and at worst out of the league.
    I'm willing to give him one more shot at it between the start of the season and somewhere before the trade deadline. If he isn't knocking down 36%+ .... you have to move on and give Cam or your recent draft pick an opportunity.

subtomic, snowconeman22, meh and 2 others like this.
  4. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think he will do relatively well next season (just a hunch) mainly because he has 2-3 babies to feed and trying to pretend that he is a capable dad.

I am really surprised by his intelligence and choice of words every day.....lol....and it is offseason.

I do think that he overcompensates by posting superficial stuff because he cannot really articulate himself, that is one of his main weaknesses......I could relate, I am seeing that with tons of kids around me.

I would not be fooled into thinking he has turned a corner even if he has a successful season.

#2264 daywalker02, May 27, 2024
    Last edited: May 27, 2024
  5. OremLK

OremLK Member

Did a little dive into Topic this morning, inspired by Luka's dominance in the WCF.

I do think he's a good prospect. The passing is going to translate big time, and the ballhandling is pretty good, better than what Amen brings currently--not super creative, but a solid handle and the ability to protect the ball driving into traffic. He can create offense for himself in the paint with a nice layup package and he can set up others out of the pick-and-roll and on the perimeter. He is already ready to play point guard in the NBA, at least off the bench, and he's super young too.

However, I would not draft him expecting to get a Luka type of player. Despite the promising FT%, I think Topic's lacking jump shot right now is a legitimate problem, not a statistical anomaly. His mechanics are not that great, and his form is inconsistent. He doesn't create space very well on stepbacks, or even attempt them all that often, and catch-and-shoot opportunities are a struggle due to his slow, low release. He does not have exceptional strength or vertical pop to create space, and because of his shooting mechanics, he can't really shoot right over guys despite his height. There's not really much there in terms of either perimeter or mid-range shooting, his game very much revolves around creating for others or getting into the paint.

On defense, he is often standing in a corner guarding a roleplayer and he does not display a high motor, good footwork, or an ability to be disruptive off the ball. I see him as a negative right now on that end and I'm not sure if he has the instincts or tools to become more than mediocre.

For all of these reasons, I don't think anyone should look at him and be like "6'7" point guard, wow!" His height plays down, not up. The way he plays and impacts the game almost feels closer to a guy like T.J. McConnell than a Luka or SGA type of point guard.

My biggest problems with us drafting him are, one, the lack of defense. I don't think we can afford to add players who don't play well on that end given our lack of rim protection in the paint. They will be attacked and exploited by opposing offenses and we won't be able to cover for them. Two, I do not think Topic can play off the ball at all, really. He is purely a point guard and he needs the ball in his hands to make a positive impact on the court. This means he lacks the flexibility of a player like Reed Sheppard, Zaccharie Risacher, or Devin Carter to get minutes at multiple positions, which I think will be important for any rookie we bring in to find playing time on this roster--it will have to be opportunistic and based on injuries and matchups.

I'll admit that my thinking here is partly influenced by still believing Amen can play point guard for us in the medium-term future.

Overall, I think Topic is a guy that would be a great pick for a team like Washington or San Antonio who needs to find an on-ball player to run their offense long-term, but I think he makes little sense for us at this stage.

#2265 OremLK, May 27, 2024
    Last edited: May 27, 2024
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Topic is projected more Dragon Dragic than Doncic.

saleem and OremLK like this.
  7. J.R.

J.R. Member

Spotify

First half is Sarr

Sheppard at 43:39

43:37– Out in California training for draft

(44:56– Name is potentially one of the top picks) It’s crazy. It’s really cool hearing my name being said like that around those names and those teams. Coming into this season, if you would’ve told me that, I probably would’ve laughed at you. Wasn’t what I had in my head at all. I was wanting to go out and have fun and play. Being in this position is crazy, a lot of fun, I’m super super happy. Process has been unbelievable for me and my family.

(46:41– recorded a 42” vertical leap. You said you didn’t expect it. Why?) I know I can jump but didn’t know I would have the highest vertical in the NBA draft. Credit to my guy Ryan, he kinda helped us out with an arm trick and was able to get a couple more inches. It was all fun. I looked up at the board and when I saw 42”, it kinda made me laugh. I wasn’t expecting it and no one else was expecting it.

(47:30– Future dunk contest?) Not a chance.

(48:21– extremely efficient at Kentucky. One of the toughest things to do at the next level is ability to create space and create your own shot. How are you training now to ensure you have the same efficiency?) Main thing is staying in the gym, getting the reps up, getting the shots up. Big thing that Don emphasizes is fast feet. Everything is game speed in the workouts. You’re not going half speed. Going in everyday with the mindset of you’re gonna shoot as fast as you can, get your feet set but at the same time, it’ll be a learning experience. It’s different. It’s the NBA, the best basketball players in the world.

(49:39– who do you compare yourself to and emulate your game after?) There’s a lot of guys. That’s a tough question when people ask that. There’s so many great players you could watch, take stuff from their game and try to put into your game. I like looking at my Kentucky boys. Book (Devin Booker), I like watching him and how he can get to his midrange spot, just gets there, elevates over anyone. Being able to watch him, that’s cool for me. Other guys like Chris Paul, the way he controls the game. Steph Curry, how he shoots is crazy. There’s a lot of guys you look at, see, that you want to take stuff from their game and put in your game.

(50:49– you’re known as an elite shooter AND defender. Is there another aspect of your game you feel is underrated?) Just the overall basketball, just playmaking and getting my teammates involved, sometimes that stuff doesn’t show up on the stat sheet, won’t be on the instagram videos, that’s not what the highlights are about. The highlights are about scoring or getting a block or steal and going to dunk. It’s not a lot about making the right play, making the right pass. Playing basketball the right way, whether that’s one more drive and kick or whatever it is, making the right play for the team.

(Stuff on his teammate Rob Dillingham, Coach Cal, Kentucky summer runs)

(56:50– what are you most excited about during this jump to the NBA?) One, draft night, June 26. That’s my mom’s birthday. That’ll be a cool birthday gift to my mom. Other than that, the biggest thing is being able to learn like I mentioned earlier. That’ll be important and cool. To actually be in the NBA, travel with the team, do everything together and learn from everyone and see how it really is up close and in person. I’m super excited. I can’t believe I’m in the situation I’m in. It’ll be really fun. Like I keep saying, learning and watching up close, it’ll be really fun.

(58:30– anything you want to ask Paul George?) Biggest thing you had to get better at?

PG: Alex Sarr asked the same question. It’s an adjustment from college to the NBA. The pace of the game is that much different than college. College, you guys are used to a set offense, running through an offense, using the clock, 30 seconds to run a play where it’s 24 seconds but rarely is the offense ran down to 24 seconds. The pace of the game is definitely a change from college to the NBA. And then when you recognize the spacing on the floor. More spacing on the floor to operate. That was one thing I realized once I got comfortable with my game, how to utilize space. And then getting comfortable behind the 3pt line is something that is very important. The non-shooter stigma sticks with you in the NBA and travels a long way. The more you can get comfortable behind the line, the more your game will open up. Those 3 key pieces are something I picked up in my early stages.

(1:01:14– Reed: one more, going into whatever team drafts me, going into the first week of practice, what advice would you give to getting yourself into the team)

PG: I tell the rookies this, you got veterans that will be on the team and are comfortable being on the team but don’t want any parts of the practice, any parts of the workouts, any parts of the drills, you’ll see veterans that are fine being the 14th/15th guy. I used to tell the rookies, you get into drills, the 2nd unit, until they pull you out. Don’t assume because you’re a rookie you have to be behind veterans or have to be the 3rd string or 3rd unit. Force your way into those drills. You can be a leader as a rookie and still have that positive effect. That’s how I pursued my rookie season. I wanted to be in every drill, win every drill, showed up early, stayed late for practice, asked questions, got comfortable with the veterans. I wanted them to be comfortable with me. … I wasn’t afraid to ask questions, hang with them, show I want to do whatever I can to make this team successful. You being a PG is naturally your calling to be a connector. Embrace that. Own that. Don’t be afraid to be a leader.

8. cheke64

cheke64 Member

We need BPA. The hardest skill to acquire is an ambidextrous finisher that's a magnet to the rim with high IQ. We worry about his jumpshot later, it can be worked

I saw some of Giddy NBDL highlights for comparison and that was an eye sore. Slow af and a bad finisher, opposite of Topic.

9. J.R.

J.R. Member

1. Risacher — “If Risacher is available, my prediction as of right now is that he’d be the pick at No. 4.”
    2. Castle
    3. Sarr
    4. Dillingham
    5. Sheppard
    6. Buzelis — “The Spurs have historically targeted players who interview well at the combine and I’ve heard multiple accounts that Buzelis was the best interview at this year’s combine. Add in the fact that he measured well and Buzelis could have moved himself into the mix at No. 4.”
    7. Salaun
    8. Knecht
    9. Holland — “I’d be surprised if the Spurs take him at No. 4 — but it’s not an impossible outcome.”
    10. Topic — “I’m still not hearing much of a connection between the Spurs and Topic. European scouts tell me that San Antonio hasn’t shown much outward interest. Additionally, Topic re-injured his knee recently. One European scout told me that the Spurs would need to see Topic back on the court before even considering him as a lottery pick.”
    11. Williams
    12. Carter
    13. Clingan — “Clingan could go top three in the real draft but the center’s fit next to Wembanyama is questionable enough that it’d be surprising for San Antonio to pick him — even at No. 8.”
    14. Carrington

Rudyc281 likes this.
  10. Bo6

Bo6 Member

I do see Topic starting to fall some on the board... someone will get a steal to grab him in the 10-18 slots... Feels very similar to how Sengun fell off the board leading up to the draft.

Mathloom and snowconeman22 like this.
  11. OremLK

OremLK Member

I like Topic, but I'm not necessarily convinced he's the BPA, or that there is a clear BPA in this draft class at all. It feels like there are a bunch of guys in the same tier and it's hard to differentiate which one is the most talented, they have different strengths and weaknesses.

I'm normally a best player available guy but in a class where it's hard to say who that is, I'm okay with drafting for fit to some degree.

cheke64 and No Worries like this.
  12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Reported the idiot - hopefully he gets what he deserves, a good old school banning - and he can go spew nonsense where algorithms will put him with other conspiracy morons.

DD

r-fan-since-81 likes this.
  13. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Who let Holic back into the BBS?

14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Cody Williams s intriguing too at 3. Big wing who can handle , shoot & defend. Especially if Amen is going to be a PG

Corrosion likes this.
  15. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Way too high IMO.

That's a guy that goes in that 11 - 13 range.

16. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Why?

17. r-fan-since-81

r-fan-since-81 Contributing Member

GtFO

BallSoHarden likes this.
  18. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm skeptical of him ever creating his own shot in the NBA. And, he needs to get a lot stronger. His versatility on defense is definitely a strength. But, for a pick that high....does his shooting translate...He could be a helluva role player or more, but there are too many unknowns....

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  19. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

LOL at Paul George giving Reed Sheppard advice to get comfortable behind the 3pt line.

I uh, think he's got that one covered. :D

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  20. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Sarr sure don't sound like French.