1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zion Williamson is Available

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, May 23, 2024.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Zion is pretty special. That can’t be denied.

Udoka being up his ass all damn season is intriguing at worst.

Bo6, raining threes, Rudyc281 and 3 others like this.
  2. vince

vince Member

Zion is an amazing talent, but at the same time he can’t stay healthy.

It’s a huge risk attaching your wagon to his health.

Anyone who’s watched sports for any extended period of time knows that some folks are injury prone. And Zion fits the bill to a “T”….

The only way he plays a full season, and thus can have any sort of an extended career is if you limit his minutes to 24 minutes per game, at a max!

New Orleans has already found out that Zion might have heart, but his heart is bigger way than his body can keep up with that body of his.

A shame that he is extremely fun to watch but will break down sooner rather than later.

3. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

Actual photo of Willie Green attempting to light a fire underneath Zion:

upload_2024-5-26_11-18-20.jpeg

Jontro, theDude, cml750 and 3 others like this.
  4. groovemachine

groovemachine Member

It’s a glaring red flag for a guy that young to have so many conditioning and injury problems. We should look for a ‘star’ somewhere else.

beardsanity713, Corrosion and vince like this.
  5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

[​IMG]

EDIT: But if you're just going to use the 3 on a stiff like Klingon, I think you'd be better off trading the 3 for a risk like Zion honestly.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  6. vince

vince Member

But Zion will cost more than the #3 pick.

B-Bob and groovemachine like this.
  7. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Probably at least 3 of our core if Sengun isn’t included. Either way one of the core pieces included will be either Sengun or Jalen and then add Jabari and Tari because the Pelicans aren’t interested in rebuilding they’re going to want ready to contribute players.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  8. invocux

invocux Member

9. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Well i am glad you are not our GM, if you are that scared of a non guaranteed contract on Zion.

10. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Lmao, dude you are exactly the type of uninformed poster I was talking about and why this thread really is full of misinformation. His contract is not guaranteed unless he meets weight, games played, and existing injury (hardware) requirements every single year. He has to qualify to have each of the following years of his contract guaranteed in the prior year. This is essentially a KPJ type contract on a star level 23 year old. What are you even going on about that he has never played more than 40 games? He just played 70 games this season, the same as Luka and Maxey, and 27% more than Donovan who the team is targeting.

#170 BallSoHarden, May 26, 2024
    Last edited: May 26, 2024
    DaDakota likes this.
  11. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

The redundancy in positions is a valid point, if that is the thought process and reasoning that is fine, I was just saying it should not be dismissed over his contract or availability especially at 23 years old and given the flexibility of his current contract, if it is really that big of an issue and the league sees it that way, then the asking price should be very low. I do not think it will be that low. I am hoping we do start looking at similar situations as Zions, we are not going to get a perfect player in any scenario, whoever we get will be a bit of a risk or they likely would not be available. I can not think of a single player we could trade for that will not come with risk. Donovan is the rumored trade target, and he only played 55 games and missed crucial playoff games leading to his teams elimination. Even guys like Ja that would be a bit of a reach to make calls on, would come with injury and off court risk.

raining threes and glimmertwins like this.
  12. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Non-guaranteed? I was not aware of that. I’ve seen nothing to indicate his contract is non- guaranteed. Link?

vince likes this.
  13. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/player/_/id/31558/zion-williamson

No All-NBA: $193M (25%)
    All-NBA: $231M (30%)

Guaranteed seasons became non-guaranteed due to games played clause:
    2024-25: 50% guaranteed, fully guaranteed 1/7/25
    2025-26: non-guaranteed, fully guaranteed 7/15/25
    2026-27: non-guaranteed, fully guaranteed 7/15/26
    2027-28: non-guaranteed, fully guaranteed 7/15/27

Guarantee triggers exist if certain criteria has been met:
    20% of 2025-26 salary becomes guaranteed if passes all six of his weigh-in checkpoints during the 2024-25 season
    40% of 2025-26 salary becomes guaranteed if plays >= 41 games during 2024-25 season, additional 20% if plays >= 51 games, remaining 20% if plays >= 61 games.

Salaries for 2026-27 and 2027-28 seasons can be re-guaranteed if above metrics are hit the season prior

Further protections via:
    Weight must be less than 295 lbs; body fat monitored
    Injury sustained to right foot

lakersuck2, theDude, vince and 2 others like this.
  14. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

If Zion is available you go for Zion!

DaDakota likes this.
  15. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

theDude likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, certainly, if the GM makes this move, then of course I am looking at Stone another way.......at least he has done something.

He has struck me as a tentative, politics driven and low risk GM so far, it would change my view a tad of him.

raining threes and BallSoHarden like this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Chuckster talking about Moses Malone helping him lose weight in a smart way.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  18. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Moving to Houston, Texas has never been the deciding moment for any human to lose weight.

Bo6, Buck Turgidson and BMoney like this.
  19. jch1911

jch1911 Member

I said it on another thread, but if we can get Zion on a discount (Brooks, Landale, Tate) plus whatever non-crazy pick compensation… I think you have to seriously consider taking that deal. (Prefer not to include Adams, but it ain’t off the table.)

same applies to Brandon Ingram, but Ingram gets less because he is not locked into a contract.

20. Buck Turgidson

Heh...my favorite NO cookbook starts just about every recipe with "melt a stick of butter"

thegary likes this.