1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 Season Astros General Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by J.R., Apr 4, 2024.

1. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

McCormick, even when swinging a red hot bat last year, would inexplicably find himself on the bench often. If Chas starts to slump he gets the yo-yo treatment even more.

Bregman starts every damn game and hits in premium spots in the lineup no matter what. Do I think he should he benched permanently? No, but Dubon is hitting like .320 and Bregman could use a break and get his head and swing back.

Jake Tower and IBTL like this.
  2. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Thanks!

3. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

So the yo-yo treatment sucks for McCormick but it's a good thing to do with Bregman?

The obvious move is Singleton to the bench, Dubon at 1st. Which was the lineup at the game I went to yesterday, in Oakland. Results weren't good but I think the process was right.

raining threes likes this.
  4. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

When has Bregman ever had to deal with yo-yo treatment?

Is it yo-yo treatment to give Bregman some time on the bench for the first time in his career to get his **** together?

The Beard, Jake Tower and Stephen66 like this.
  5. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Are you trying to punish him? Just pissed off that he's struggled? Or are you actually trying to improve his play? Because I don't know of a situation where an All-Star talent gets benched and that makes them play better. Should the Mariners bench Julio? Should the Diamonbacks bench Carroll?

Bottom line is this version of the Astros needs the good version of Bregman to compete. Since he's never had a bad season, I feel like it's pretty likely that he returns to form. His batting eye is still great.

Htown Stros likes this.
  6. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Punish him? Lol

he has been woefully bad. Not uncommon to dial it back with a player in that position in order to help him. Like they do with Chas, who was benched today for Dubon, an infielder.

Maybe Bregman gets hot soon. If he doesn’t, we will have him and Abreu in the lineup killing us.

7. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Ppl hatin on Tomstro so much Passion of the Christ gettin a sequel.

Tomstro likes this.
  8. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Somebody has to tell it like it is. Might as well be me.

IBTL likes this.
  9. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Bregman has a way longer track record.

10. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

So you’re still mad about the whole Dusty and Chas thing last year to where you are just throwing out crazy takes? Got it.

Bregman sitting on the bench isn’t going to get him going.

11. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

And is treated accordingly. But he has destroyed us in the 2 and 4 spot this year so far. He has cost us some games for sure by not plating or advancing runners at all.

12. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

No

13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Bregman is killing us right now.

Tomstro likes this.
  14. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

Yeah his place in the lineup has been ridiculous. He should be hitting 8th. That’s where he needs to be to work himself out of it.

Our idiot manager finally had the balls to move him down in the lineup but then moved him right back up after a couple good games…you can blame Espada for those games and probably several others for the stupid decisions he’s made this season.

15. Htown Stros

Htown Stros Member

No one is arguing that he isn’t.

16. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

To give some context.

I think Dubon should be starting 10-15% of the games at 3B and Alex needs to hit 6th or 7th until he's back.

I'm not saying Alex should play everyday but he gets more benefit of the doubt than Chas.

Jake Tower likes this.
  17. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Yes he does. He has been allowed to suck for 2 months and Chas only for 1 month. Plus Chas is coming off an injury now. Alex needs to start hitting or someone else should get a chance. Bregman, the last 2 seasons, was able to start heating up in June. Hopefully, that happens this year or we will be in trouble.

Edit: Bregman singles as I’m writing that lol

everyday eddie likes this.
  18. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Ironically, Espada has made a ton of moves this BBS has clamored for… some of them really knee-jerk like at times. Lineups like yesterday should crush over a long haul.

Just need to see more sample sizes.

19. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

1. Bregman starts off the season in clean-up, hits awful...pop ups, groundouts, and double plays all day
    2. After a couple of months, Espada finally moves him down the order to 6th
    3. Bregman has a good series against the A's and finally has consecutive good hitting games
    4. Bregman feeling good about himself then goes to Chandler Rome who releases an article citing a couple of vets don't like the way Espada communicates
    5. Espada folds immediately and moves Bregman back in clean-up, and he proceeds to go back to hitting awful..pop ups, groundouts, and double plays all day

Pretty damn selfish of Bregman I'd say. Altuve and Yordan have asked to be moved down in the past when they were slumping hard because they didn't want to hurt the team.

20. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No matter what you think about the job Dana Brown has done in total, you have to acknowledge that his vision with Ronel Blanco has absolutely paid dividends thus far.

What a blessing!

Nook likes this.