1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Zion Williamson is Available

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, May 23, 2024.

1. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

Exactly, my post was about people questioning if FVV + 3rd pick would be possible, i think it would take a lot more. The post was about the general theme of the thread so far about people who dont want to trade for him at all because hes got some horrible contract. My point was that we don't even know the price, so I would not dismiss it over his contract, because his contract is not an issue.

2. BallSoHarden

BallSoHarden Member

I would consider it at what some people were proposing which was FVV, 3rd pick, and throw in a bit more, just would be careful about trading any of the young core. I do not think it is possible to get him at what people are proposing and even denying in this thread, but I think you absolutely make the call if he is available. We have been fairly low risk for the past 5 years, once we are at a half decade of no playoffs, I would considering "increasing our risk profile" as Morey would say. Sometimes taking on a risk is the only way you can take that next step, the Mavs finally broke through by taking a risk on Kyrie. This is a guy who was not available, had tons of off court distractions, and they took a calculated risk on him and he is thriving and that could end up being a move that gets them a championship. We did the same w CP3, the trade to get him in houston was pretty good, and it seemed to be working out, his trade out is what cost us, but overall that was a good move to get him in Houston.

#142 BallSoHarden, May 25, 2024
    Last edited: May 25, 2024
  3. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The contract is an issue because he averages less than 40 games per year. For me it would be a pass on that fact alone before you ever even get to what the trade cost would be. I wouldn’t want him if we could get him for a second round pick.

DrNuegebauer likes this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This changes everything now we have to get Zion.

5. cml750

cml750 Member

You would be miserable if they traded Alpi. You would have to join the Pelicans board to troll their fans.

harold bingo and HardenReturns like this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I am fascinated by Zion but I would never give up anything substantial for him.

To me highest risk, high reward in a short window type.

There are players that are not built for the NBA, he is the poster boy of them.

Imanimal likes this.
  7. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Sports Illustrated and Bleacher Report seem reputable to me.

8. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

I see what you are saying and agree that if you are moving Fred and the 3rd pick, that’s not the worst idea from a risk perspective but you still have to ask where those minutes are coming from. Jabari and Alpi both in theory play the same position as Zion so even though in this hypothetical you are retaining them as players, the positional redundancy is high and they might ask out because both of those guys are on the rise and this would hurt their value so it may still end up costing you more in the long run.

…regarding Dallas, Luka was already that dude. They didn’t take a calculated risk - they made a desperation move because there was no other star they could afford after a series of poor moves(specifically the Porzingis move). Kyrie worts and all was the only way to improve their team. That they are potentially a Finals team now says more about Luka being one of the best ever than it does that they wouldn’t have been able to do it without Kyrie.

….again I get your point - Zion is a talent but there is a big difference when it comes to taking a risk on a guy who might think the world is flat, take time away from the team to go meditate on a Native American reservation, or retweet anti-Semitic theories than a guy who’s main skill is his athleticism yet as he ages he shows no commitment to his physical health and has been injury prone. It’s Shawn Kemp all over again.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  9. Ancient Moabite

G Oden was that dude as well, so was Roy and G Hill/TMac/Walton etc

All guys you take a chance on, if you ignore their injury/avail history

And that is what scares others away, especially if the team that drafted him to be their guy is shopping him this soon ...allegedly

10. Ancient Moabite

Indeed MM

No wonder noble Udoka leaned on the fluke scrub thru ups n downs, he played all 82 games

By default he is Ime fav player (lowkey), which really has to be driving the anti club members forensic file insane to say the least

11. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

No he wasn't Greg Oden was never as good as Zion , comeon.

It is ok to say....it is a risk, because it is.....but you don't win ANYTHING without risk...

We don't have any guaranteed stars on our team not a SINGLE ONE - this guy is a SUPERSTAR player day one - you go get him, and if it costs 2 of your core -- so what, everyone on our team is replaceable.....

DD

12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is not really a risk if he is not really into basketball and it is an easy decision actually.

He may collect his paycheck and show up in 60 regular season games but you would know that his heart is not with Basketball.

The injuries are the risk but his lethargy concerning basketball is not a risk but something you don't want to see.

It is that Off Switch that he turns on way too often.

13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He is not a superstar. Superstars play more than 40 games a year. thank God, you are not our GM.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

That is something that none of us know or can speculate about - has he said, he doesn't love basketball?

I mean the same could be said by the dreaded black nails Pirate - Baby Daddy Green!

DD

15. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I don’t see the extremely friendly aspect of his contract that is guaranteed through the 27-28 season at around 39m to start and escalates. This for a guy that has never played in more than 40 games. His contract is why they may be willing to trade him. Unlike, FVV, we would have no flexibility to get out of that contract if he gets hurt again next year. Nobody, is going to trade for him if it happens yet again.

16. Ancient Moabite

Never was comparing them head to head, was speaking more so how Oden/B Roy had next like Zion and injuries derailed them which ran off teams

Similar to Zion who is a beast when healthy..... Now post his games played vs. missed

You don't trade two core pieces (healthy) for a superstar who may miss the entire season before training camp starts and he doesn't even seem to love the game (from afar)

Why would Pels want to trade him if he is that dude?

Because of injuries that are like the RKO

They just come out of No-where

But I respect your gambling mindframe, you have to take some home run swings, but not for annual injured players

Zion may get out of bed and injure himself it seems, he is baby Oden on the injury front

Giannis is who you give up two core pieces for, or even Embiid, who despite his injury history still has managed to be in MVP convo and win one

Give me that, but even them I would pause because of his age and past n present injury struggles, which cost them again this season

17. Ancient Moabite

Why you mad that Green getting more ill na na than you?

The branding has ruined the love of the game for these players

All distractions by design

Getting paid millions to stay in top shape to do your professional job should be easy.....at least the Pirate Fluke has stayed in shape

And rhe Pirate played 82 games like old school players past season

that is some serious love/dedication right.... Coach DD??

On and off the court, the Pirate strikes back

23 game stretch (not 15) Pirate Fluke JG4 on deck..... for Love & Basketball
    (Green is Epps and his alleged BMs is S. Lathan)

18. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Don't know s I am asking. Is there some way New Orleans could pick up say 1/2 his contract or something to make trading Zion easier . I think the current best example of what could happen is the Clippers disastrous long term commitment to the oft injured perpetually load limited Kawhi.

19. Ancient Moabite

Maybe if they send him to MLB those rules could come in play

20. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Don’t that is possible under the CBA. I guess they could send up some cash, but I’m not sure that is allowable to set off contract. Of course, if they had to pay half his salary they wouldn’t trade him anyway.