1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Who will you select at 5 in your mock draft?

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I like this trade, because Brogdon is a solid rental for moving down 2 spots in a mediocre draft. I doubt Portland would do it. I think the Pistons would bite. I’d be pretty stoked with this trade, because I think one of Sheppard, Topic, or Dillingham would be available at 5.

kspires999 likes this.
  3. sydmill

sydmill Member

2 deals centered on pick #3:

#3 to Portland for #7, #34, & Rayan Rupert

#3 to Utah for #10 & Keyonte George.

4. MadMax94$

MadMax94$ Member

Sheppard if he still there or best player available.

5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

For deal 2 the rockets are going to draft 3 rookies this year?

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

If the Rockets are dumb enough to trade the pick or pass on Sheppard, no chance he gets past San Antonio

7. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Jalen Green/#3/2026 unprotected Nets 1st/Dillon Brooks (to third team for future 1st/Tate/Landale/#44 and 2027 Nets swap top 6 protected for De’aron Fox and Kevin Huerter.

Sengun/Adams
    Smith/Eason
    Thompson/Cam
    FVV/Huerter
    Fox/Thompson and FVV

8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Dude you traded 5 of our top assets for just De'Aron Fox??? You seem to have no idea what our picks and prospects are worth. My god.

To end up with two ultra short guards, no spacing and no elite rim protector to boot? Fundamental flaws. Guaranteed first round exit and with few assets left over to make the major upgrades needed.

That team will win 45 games which we can do without trading anything.

Plowman and raining threes like this.
  9. MadMax94$

MadMax94$ Member

I think there is a chance he still there. If not you still got good value out of the pick by adding Brogdon and another young player via the lottery.

10. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

We don't need Brogdon.

Bobbythegreat and Mathloom like this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Yeah, Brogdon is someone you should add when you think by the trade deadline you do not have enough fire power off the bench but not someone you plan with longer term.

saleem likes this.
  12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

We need Jalen insurance. Brogdon is almost the ideal solution, because we only drop 2 positions in the draft, he is a very consistent player on both sides of the ball and can be bench depth at a reasonable price if we decide to re-sign him. You get to keep your core while not giving up your playoff hopes if Jalen sh*ts the bed again. Neither Cam or Sheppard will be ready to play Jalen’s role and still get us to the playoffs. Bridges seems to be the only other Jalen insurance and he will cost more and is more of a SF which Amen has covered.

jb86 and MadMax94$ like this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This is very simple, you as an organization do not want to be at the whim of a player like Jalen Green.

But if you can get someone better than Brogdon, you go out and do that.....because the end goal is making the Finals and not making 2nd round.

Making 2nd round is just a minor achievement on the way to greater things.....not that those things come easily.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I really think San Antonio is going to jump on Topic. If Wemby doesn’t develop a really good 3 point shot then his career will be much less likely to be anything special. If he does, you don’t need Sheppard.
    The problem is that there is no-one available at a reasonable price to take Jalen’s place. If you could get Booker for him fine, but it doesn’t look like Phoenix is ready to throw in the towel. There is nobody out there worth giving up core players for. In my opinion, it is a better gamble right now to get a Brogdon type in case Jalen doesn’t work out and hope next year either somebody better becomes available or we hit on the Nets pick and get a star in the draft. If Jalen does work out, Brogdon is a great backup swing guard and a giant upgrade over Holiday. He is worth dropping a couple of spots in this crappy draft. I would even trade #3 and trash for Portland’s 25 pick lightly protected and Brogdon, but I don’t think Portland would do it.

MadMax94$ likes this.
  15. Rokman

Rokman Member

How about Jalen, #3 and rest of BKN pick deal for Morant.

I know, I know, pipe dream but dreams are fun.

16. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They might if Sheppard isn't there, if the Rockets blow this draft and Sheppard is there at 4, no chance San Antonio makes the same mistake.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I see your point but the thing is the Rockets have not achieved tangible Playoff success yet.

So theoretically they could still tank for another Wemby.....theoretically.....

I know Udoka is strictly against tanking but I am sure he would reconsider if his approach is hitting at 1st round exit or 2nd exit and he cannot advance further.
    And especially if Stone cannot deliver a big fish like Mitchell, Jay Dub or any young star.

Basically any of the 3rd round teams plus teams like OKC, Denver and NY Knicks are Top 5 Defenses, Top Defenses without clear superstars and All Stars are not advancing. And with superstars they might not be advancing.

#2197 daywalker02, May 26, 2024
    Last edited: May 26, 2024
  18. sydmill

sydmill Member

In the Portland deal (my preference), yes. I think Sheppard would make it to 7 so he'd be the pick and spend the year with the club. Rupert, Adem Bona and Payton Sandfort (my picks at #34 & #44) would all be in RGV for the season but would be developing to be integrated into the team on the cheap over the next few years.

19. fattz

fattz Member

One of Kai Jones (5/4) or Garuba (4/5/3) is our answer as a backup big, they are as good as, or likely better than any big in this draft. We can keep them on a much lesser contract going forward, both have been humbled and will take a role on a team. They match the team’s age group. Both play defense and can keep the ball moving on offense. With set expectations both would have a solid impact and fit nicely next to Sengun. Both can play 1 on 1 defense at a high level and have great mobility letting them guard smaller players and are rim protectors as well. Coach seems like he would like either one. Jones has more size; Garuba better shooting, higher basketball IQ and successful with other teams. They got here because both were mishandled by the team they were drafted to. Silas almost killed Sengun —> Garuba showed flashes on both ends of the court while he was here in the limited playing time he received and we were playing some chaotic all time horrid basketball without any direction. The Hornets are the Hornets. Both are obtainable and better than what we have on the end of our bench now. One or the other works. Get crazy and get both. The fear of a big dominating us is diminished considerably.

20. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member