1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Case to Draft Reed Sheppard at #3

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Medicine N Music, May 20, 2024.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Carter will be a top 10 pick easily. Ule C.

2. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Could happen, but at 9 or 10 because I'm not sure his ceiling is even an NBA starter, more of a 3 and D tweener combo guard off the bench.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I did a comparison of Sheppard and Carter on tankathon and nothing screams pick Reed over Carter.

4. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

True but I'm betting Carter will contribute to winning much sooner than Reed. Mainly because of his experience.

5. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

??

Even though carter had 10% higher usage rate and playing 7 more minutes per game, Reed averaged 2 more assist. Reed is 3 years younger. Reed played tougher competition. 15% higher three ball, 10% higher ts. Carter does have overall better defensive stats but Reed basically blows him out in everything else that matters.

Theres a reason Reed has been mocked as high as too three and Carter is usually mocked in the mid to late teens.

Now, Carter could very well end up the better player but theres no way you do a side by side and look at them as players and "NOTHING" says pick Reed over him.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

That's such a weird take, Carter is a lesser player with a lower floor and much lower ceiling.

If Carter falls out of the lottery, maybe he ends up on a better team, so he could be a benchwarmer on a team that wins.... but I'm not sure how much he'd contribute.

7. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

This is the way

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This is the minor draft.

coachbadlee likes this.
  9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Even if what you say about Carter is true, why the rush to draft a contributor? We have ton of prospects to develop. And if Fred is gone after next season, it will be perfect timing for a guy like Sheppard to fill the void after a season of learning under FVV.

AroundTheWorld and cml750 like this.
  10. maj21

maj21 Member

Don’t overthink it, draft Reed Sheppard. An elite movement shooter would change our entire team

11. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

And don't forget he is also projected to be a generational defender and playmaker. This man has no weakness. He should average at least 20 next year. ROY easily. I just hope he's still there at 3. Reports have as the #1 pick for most teams in the lottery. Just read that today. Stone won't overthink this. He's light years ahead of any player that we've drafted since the rebuild started.

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.
  12. maj21

maj21 Member

To me, he’s a more athletic TJ McConnell with Elite shooting. We’re talking Steph and Klay shooting potential. You don’t pass that up!! I wouldn’t even trade this pick. He’s our biggest need. We have too many guys that can do the same things, but there’s nobody like Reed on this team

13. maj21

maj21 Member

JJ Redick was an elite shooter at Duke. His best season was 42% from 3. We also drooled over Jabari shooting that same percentage. Meanwhile, Reed out here shooting 52% from 3 lol

AroundTheWorld and cml750 like this.
  14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Generational defender and playmaker? Please tell me this is sarcasm.

15. maj21

maj21 Member

I hope so lol

16. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Lol. I'm just going along with what I've read. So these are my expectations. I'm down with a little group think. It's kinda fun.

OkayAyeReloaded likes this.
  17. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I could be convinced to take Topic or Castle .... Knecht not so much

Aruba77 likes this.
  18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Generational shooter - not good, but GREAT - you don't pass that up.

DD

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Have you watched him? With his skills and tools, he just seems like someone who has a real chance to walk in and produce.

Can hit deep 3s, C&S or on the dribble, hits movement shots, can put the ball down an ISO, has a mid-range game, can drive and finish at the rim, good cutter, drawls a lot fouls, is a good athlete, has solid size for a wing, seems competitive with a good BBIQ.

He'd be an old rookie, he's not going to be a good defender, and I'd hope we'd be able to trade back if we targeted him, but I can see the upside of a Middleton/Hayward/Bojan type of career.

20. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

bruh.

BaselineFade likes this.