1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The Presidents of Harvard, MIT, Penn, Columbia should be forced to resign

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Dec 5, 2023.

1. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

2. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was in one. As to the original question, mine dated back to pre-World War I, when shockingly Jews weren’t allowed as members of other fraternities.

The ones I’m aware of are virtually all “socially” Jewish and became non-denominational in the 1960s or so. There was was effectively zero specific religious activity (I honestly couldn’t recall if the house had a mezuzah on the door or not). No idea what it looks like today, but there were typically a handful of non-Jewish members in every pledge class. I would also venture that because of that history, most members had some family tie into it (I had 2 uncles and a grandfather) — you are dealing with a culture where traditional matters.

Not sure why that would be odd, given there are Christian fraternities, South Asian fraternities, business fraternities, and who knows what else these days.

3. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Let's assume it's true. It's neither mandatory nor does it get you a job. Some people often focus excessively on liberal arts or any other field without realizing that individuals have the freedom to choose what they learn. In our "capitalistic" system, certain skills and abilities are highly valued. There's no need for excessive control; the market naturally takes care of this. Our concern should be directed more towards the possibility of a police state dictating or banning subjects to shape minds according to their preferences (something we are seeing play out in FL and elsewhere now by Republicans).

To these posters who are so concerned - it's not a big deal, get over yourself.

Xopher and FranchiseBlade like this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Look at this idiot

tinman likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Lol

The military-surveillance state and a side hustle in education

is straight up Qoe Rogan dumbass talking points. I'm embarrassed you posted that

Ubiquitin likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Call me crazy (go ahead) but I'm not sure a German should be chastising other people about factual claims and rights to land.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Truth is truth, regardless who speaks it.

And unless you are native American, you might want to be very humble about telling others they have no right to speak about "right to land" because of their background.

tinman likes this.
  9. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am :oops: I did too.

10. AkeemTheDreem86

Sammy?

11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The d&d hates the truth

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  12. tinman

Supporting Member

Salvy and AroundTheWorld like this.
  13. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Your feelings does NOT override the truth

AroundTheWorld and tinman like this.
  14. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

15. tinman

Supporting Member

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Great article because it'll help me win an argument with my wife! ;)

Seriously, that's a dynamic I'd noticed but it's good to see data on it. And the article's explanations jibe with my intuition on it as well. Kids that go to elite colleges have an expectation that they're going to be Somebodies in the world, so they should make their influence felt. Kids at other colleges want to keep their heads down and maximize their chances for good jobs. Even at the best HBCUs, the ideological students are interested in elevating African Americans' standing in the US. Protesting for Gaza is very different from protesting for George Floyd.

But, I suspect the coincidence with Pell Grants is just some covariance. Fewer poor kids manage to get into the elite universities, but I don't see much reason to think that the poor kids who did get in are less interested in protesting for Gaza. They know they'll be Somebodies too, even if they come from humble beginnings.

Except one thing. Modern protests think a lot about who can afford to protest. When they expect police action, for example, they'll encourage people who can't afford to be arrested -- say if you're a minority or you have a family you support or whatever -- to leave and let the ones who want to be arrested to be the sacrificial lambs. Protest orgs also know they have sympathizers who aren't willing to sleep in a tent for a week or whatever. So, you have multiple ways to participate. You can show up at teach-ins during the day and then leave, be on the list for protest surge calls, donate money, sign petitions, receive the newsletter, send letters to the editor, etc. I think the elite colleges have a critical mass of people who can afford to be arrested, can afford to face school discipline, can afford to get doxxed, can afford the time to encamp and to protest, can afford the time to read articles and write articles and write plays and make art all about Gaza, and all that. Knowing @Commodore, you probably think this elitism phenomenon is somehow discrediting, but I don't see it that way at all. Students at leading universities in the US and all over the world have long been vanguards for social change. This generation is taking up the mantle and I'm proud of them.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  17. tinman

Supporting Member

The minute Greta tells Hamas ‘How da yu !’ About them driving gas Toyota Tacomas from 1996, they’d snap her head off fast than you can say allah
    @Salvy

18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member