1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] Podcast: Houston Rockets options with the #3 pick of the 2024 NBA Draft

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, May 21, 2024.

1. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Even Sarr is looking subpar.

NewAge likes this.
  2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

IMO, just my opinion, in a weak draft you dont draft BPA. You look to get the best fit for the team. None of the players in the top 5 fit this team, IMO.

fattz likes this.
  3. OremLK

OremLK Member

I agree. The only way spending the #3 pick on a guy like Clingan makes sense is if they have a trade lined up to send Sengun elsewhere--in which case we better be getting back a legitimate top 10 player for him, or I'm going to be very unhappy.

jcmoon, fattz and RudyTBag like this.
  4. clos4life

clos4life Member

I don't know, his assessment of Jabari over Banchero is looking mediocre right now. And of course, we all know what he thinks of Sengun, also not a great look. Not saying he hasn't made better assessments in the past, but it's looking shaky recently.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do think people should cast a wider net, championing 1 or 2 players over others never did it for me.

Nook and wlekfjv923n like this.
  6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Very nice Pod, but I think the Rockets will be a bit more aggressive than you guys think, and I am not sure how you pick a BPA in a very weak draft.

Everything is upside, and so far, the Rockets ability to pick high in the draft and hit is questionable at best.

And I think the Rockets will pursue Zion, Mitchell, Durant or any star that pops up which you guys mention at the end.....

Good show!

DD

saleem, jcmoon and Rudyc281 like this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Rockets front office orders players one through 58. When it is their turm to pick, they select their highest rated prospect. Sure, the Rockets will explore trafe options, but it will be hard to find a good trade as team is deep.

8. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Thanks, DD. FWIW, the topic of the podcast assumed they’re selecting a player at 3. I understand that they will try to trade the pick. But that would be a different topic of discussion.

9. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

Sengun assessment is fair. He definitely did not believe Sengun had a high ceiling. Many people thought his defense would limit his potential, which is why I think his defense this year was the biggest jump. I recall right, he did favor Mobley over Green. That depends on how you look at it, whether you focus on the crazy burst JG had late in the season or look at the totality of his 3 seasons but to me, it's clear Mobley would've been the better pick. Happy to be wrong about that next season. Don't want to assess Clutch's assessments lol but I'm just saying I value what he thinks, not because I think he's always right but because he always has a very good reason for believing what he believes. We all know, he would've chosen Miner over Horry

10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This draft better hurry up and get here. Its starting to look like one of the weakest in history. Pretty soon that #3 pick wont even be worth a loaf of bread at the 99 cent store.

Smacktle and Rudyc281 like this.
  11. sirjesse

sirjesse The Udoker has spoken!
    Supporting Member

The Bimer has spoken!

upload_2024-5-28_17-49-8.jpeg

12. xaos

xaos Member

Thanos for the podcast! I love these!

wlekfjv923n likes this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

Overall strong podcast.

I am also intrigued by Buzelis. He has a lot of tools and is a good in game athlete. He should be a higher level scorer based on the film. The biggest concern with his is that he really shot poorly in the G-League. He looks like he should shoot well - he also wasn’t very efficient. Hard to have him in top 3-4 with his shooting… he would be in play at 5-8. If he does exceptionally well at workouts, I can see targeting him at 3.

Holland is potentially a good value pick, but he doesn’t know how to shoot and that likely scares the Rockets away. If I were a team starting a rebuild I would target him because of upside.

Usually in the draft there are clear divisions in talent - and in this one it isn’t the case. The most talented players from a sheer upside position, won’t go 1-2 in this draft. Ron Holland probably has the highest upside in the draft if he becomes a good shooter.

saleem and Rudyc281 like this.
  14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The Rockets pretty much have to get a big man at 3 or wherever they draft because I dont see Reed or Ricochet taking anyone's spot anytime soon. Whether its starter or bench. I'm sure Ime is not looking to draft and stash in the G. Just doesn't seem like him. The only position that can look to have minutes soon is Center.

15. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

You aren't getting an all star for the #3 pick in a terrible draft.

saleem likes this.
  16. Good Times

Good Times Member

Castle seems like the BPA at 3, other than 3pt shooting he does everything else you would want as a two way player to win. He seems coachable and plays intelligently letting the game come to him. I’m actually hopeful he can play PG as he has proven he doesn’t need the ball to be effective which gives Sengun and Green more time with the ball. His size, speed, defense and hustle would be great against the more active PGs out there (i.e. Murray, Halliburton, etc). I also think he is more of a scorer than he’s given credit for. He came up big when UConn needed him to and was clutch in big moments. I think the passion is in him to succeed at the next level for the shooting to improve. Imagine the matchup nightmares he could create with Amen and Whitmore off the bench at 1,2 and 3.

NewAge likes this.
  17. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Respectfully, the Rockets don't HAVE to take any particular position in this draft. They will not - and should not - drafted primarily based on fit with the current roster, as rosters change. They will go with the player they think is the best long-term prospect. Period.

18. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Woah! Haven't seen this name in a while. I'm honored.

IBTL and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. xaos

xaos Member

When is the last time the collective top 3 in a draft did NOT produce a player that went to an all star game? Obviously can't count the last few drafts since they're career is just getting started

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

2013 probably CJ McCollum, Steven Adams and Hardaway jr are the best players from that draft. 2000 is the worst by all star appearences with only Kenyon Martin, Jamaal McGlore and 2nd rounder Michael Redd ever played in an all star game.