1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Astros @ Athletics

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, May 24, 2024.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Which is based on what…. Is it “lucky”?

I actually don’t think this ends up as the worst division in baseball when it’s all said and done. They all have the same profile of hot streaks/cold streaks. Two of the three are projected to have elite pitching… and the other one just somehow won the WS.

I don’t think any of the AL West teams would automatically fear an AL West or AL Central matchup… the only team they’d all likely fear is the Astros.

2. Buck Turgidson

Look up Dick Stuart, "Dr Strangeglove"

3. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, Rangers, Mariners and Astros are talented...there should be some good games and a tight race to the postseason [I hope]

jim1961 and Nick like this.
  4. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Not really, but he doesn't hit either particularly well so he thus far he doesn't demonstrate a notable platoon advantage either way since he came back.

Dubon does hit lefties....a lot. And as an added bonus he can range more than 2 feet to field a ball.

Nick likes this.
  5. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

It's not a rivalry until both teams have won a playoff series against each other.

6. Buck Turgidson

The whole team does pretty well against LHP, so we're obviously doomed today

sealclubber1016 likes this.
  7. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Oh I see. I’m sure Singleton will start again tomorrow. Jon is the better option at 1B.

8. Rock Block

Rock Block Sorta here sometimes
    Supporting Member

Not you either! You’re a stand up poster and fan….

Houstunna, seemoreroyals and IBTL like this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

LOL...the idiot Rangers announcer (I think it's former Astro Dave Raymond) just totally misjudged a massive HR to the upper deck.

"it's a fly ball, he's under it (the LF had turned around to watch it), keeps carrying...OH MY it's in the second deck"

Rock Block likes this.
  10. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

If you base it on career track record, the lineup we're running out there today is the 27 yankees against lefties..just crazy numbers.

But we do have some guys not quite playing at their career track records right now.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. Buck Turgidson

Exactly, we're doomed. I'd bet 2 Spanish Dubloons on it

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Certainly the division landscape could change by October. Whether other teams fear the Astros will depend on what they do between now and then.

13. jim1961

jim1961 Member

IMO, the Rangers and Mariners have unachieved to this point in addition to the Astros. How tight things become depends more on health than talent.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

IF the Stros are good and lucky and healthy enough to make the postseason I sure as hell wouldn't want to play them at that point

jim1961 and Rock Block like this.
  15. Rock Block

Supporting Member

Right??

Correct me if I’m wrong but did Dusty not benefit from Seattle and more importantly TX screwing the pooch down the stretch to allow us to take the division by tiebreaker? TX should’ve won the division going away last year but injuries and “baseball” happened. Selective history from posters to fit their agenda doesn’t work……

Houstunna likes this.
  16. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Those are the key words. The Astros would be very fortunate to get all three.

desihooper likes this.
  17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Fortunate? Or just business as usual (in terms of the Astros qualifying for the tournament… and being feared)

Rock Block likes this.
  18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

If the Astros get health, everything else will fall into place.

desihooper and Rock Block like this.
  19. jim1961

jim1961 Member

IDK what lies ahead, but this season so far has been anything but business as usual.

Rock Block likes this.
  20. Rock Block

Supporting Member

I don’t root for managers, I root for the city that I’m a native of. I’ll criticize and praise the manager, players and the FO but that’s just my opinion but I’ve never been in those positions so you can flush it if you’d like, However I’ll be here through thick and thin, win or lose and again I’ll always support my team and city and not any one person…..