1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston we have a problem!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pringles09, May 22, 2024.

1. Buck Turgidson

You really shouldn't speak fondly of players that I also like. Your track record speaks for itself.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  2. Buck Turgidson

Which means "more than famous"

3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Possibly, but the Kings decided on keeping D Fox over SGA.

I'm on the record for disliking drafting best player available because it sometimes forces duplication
    of talent at the same position. Both having trouble expanding their games while the other is there.

It took Harden, getting away from Westbrook, to open up his wings.

Sixers also kept drafting BPA and had duplication of Nerlens Noel, Okafor, Ben Simmons, Embiid
    and then MCW-Fultz

If I had to give up one of our young guys, it would be Jabari.....but Jabari serves a purpose
    as well. Eventually being a consistent 6'11" floor spacer.

If the SnT can be forced with the Clippers.....Tate, Jeff Green, Landale contracts can serve a purpose
    to the Clippers. Either in payroll reduction (all team options of non guaranteed) or moved in additional
    trades. Dillon Brooks would be adequate filler to replace Paul George at half the price. Which would
    bring down that $218M pricetag of having all three of Kawhi, PG13 and Harden.

The key would be the #3 pick though. Zubac makes $12M and will be unrestricted free agent next
    summer. Plumlee is a UFA this summer. So there is no other big man on the team, they could add
    a Sarr if Risacher/Topic go #1 & #2. Or Clingan/Edey. Zubac will spend a year training up his
    replacement. In the case of Edey, Harden-Kawhi could work around the big presence of Edey
    on the block.

I see a lot of win-win for both teams. SnT working for both teams.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yeah that’s why I hate the whole “we have too many picks” attitude. I have no problem taking another pick in the late first round or 2nd round.

We had like 5 guys rostered last season camping out in Rio Grande all season who would never play a meaningful minute in the NBA. Why not mine some actual under the radar upside talent at the end of the bench instead of just trying to squeeze a few more dollars by filling out the roster with G leaguers?

fattz and Buck Turgidson like this.
  5. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I love this SO much . . .

6. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

I remember Jabari Smith was in the backcourt, he took 2 dribbles, stuck in the backcourt until he passed the ball. That is really Low IQ.

Alperen Sengun getting injured was because Jabari Smith pushed Domantas Sabonis in the back so hard his knee went at Alperen knee and ankle.

This is called not knowing where your teammate is and Alperen Sengun was extremely lucky.

#106 rockets1995, May 25, 2024
    Last edited: May 25, 2024
  7. Buck Turgidson

Mario Elie is the all-time under-the-radar Rocket

dobro1229 likes this.
  8. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

would you say we had a plethora of assets, talent, and draft picks?

9. Buck Turgidson

10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Unless you are a cap nerd and read up on the details of the new CBA, the average person doesn’t realize the new CBA is deliberately trying to discourage “Big 3s”. You can still do it if you got REALLY deep pockets but the cost is higher and you lose a lot of the perks offered to over the cap teams because there is now a second tax apron that means you lose the MLE and the ability to sign buyout players as well as eventually losing draft picks if you remain in this state too long. When you think about how teams like the Warriors got such deep rosters - this is squarely aimed at preventing that - no MLE, no buyouts, losing tradeable assets in the form of future picks.

From a futures perspective this should create less dominant teams and should spread out talent around the association so differences like coaching quality will matter more and the health of your ‘Big two’ will also matter(another reason to avoid guys like Zion). I think smart teams hoarding assets now(OKC, Houston, Utah) will be well positioned in the new CBA because any time you can get on the court value well beyond contract value(as in rookie scale contracts), it allows you to build deeper teams so keeping a mix of contracts and picks is a better long term strategy over trading picks and mortgaging futures for win now moves because those teams won’t be able to spend their way out of those holes like they could in the past.

11. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

People might be too impatient with 3rd year players, I've been watching most of them closely
    and they all seem to have struggled until after mid season.

Suggs finally showed up defensively by seasons end.
    Cade Cunningham played better but it did not relate to team wins
    Jalen Green after All Star Break run
    Scottie Barnes started his career well but has been hit or miss since.
    Moses Moody has had flashes
    Evan Mobley looked lost in space in 22/23 playoffs. Finally played well this Playoffs.
    Kuminga finally did well.....or shall I say Kerr let Kuminga play.

Jabari was only a 2nd year player. Was 19 y/o in first year.

I've said before.....you don't trade MJ for the older Dominique Wilkins.
    But I fear Ime Udoka will make that mistake.

#111 ApacheWarrior, May 25, 2024
    Last edited: May 25, 2024
    Dobbizzle likes this.
  12. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

Has the alarm sounded

The Luka vs Harden comparisons are slowly ending as well

BallSoHarden likes this.
  13. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Yeah, unfortunately for Harden, Luka's got heart. James in his prime was more unstoppable than Luka is now skill-wise, he just shrank in big moments. Luka's a warrior, he'll escape the choker legacy even if he loses.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Again what did Dallas do to earn this sports luck? They don’t get any of the nasty weather or disasters Houston gets neither

15. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Blame the Atlanta front office for being actually stupid enough to trade him for Trae Young and a future pick that became Cam Reddish...

Jturbofuel likes this.
  16. Prince_Hakeem

Prince_Hakeem Member

Nah.. Mavs are not built to become a dynasty, not as constructed anyway. Wemby can’t win a ship on his own. After the Durant signing with GS debacle Silver wised up and realized it was a bad idea to leave the rest of the league without much of a chance to compete. It will be difficult to sign lots of good free agents going forward with some of the salary changes and actually encourage more organic team building through the draft. Wemby is a beast but the rest of that team is straight trash. Rockets might be positioned to do pretty well with its trove of young talent and picks from the Nets. Time will tell…

17. Strawberry Gum

No worries. My Oilers will make up for this by defeating the Stars.

18. Pringles09

Pringles09 Member

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The owner is a party animal but he actually knows what he is doing most of the time (big misses but also big hits)

Mavs learned from the Spurs and went all in on European (Super) Stars.

The Rockets actually had success with Sengün.... it is just a viable route.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Topic or Matas incoming

daywalker02 likes this.