1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[3rd pick] Who do you want?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by J.R., May 12, 2024.

?

Who do you want with the 3rd pick?

This poll will close on Jun 26, 2024 at 2:52 PM.
  1. Trade the pick

18.7%
  2. Zaccharie Risacher

8.8%
  3. Stephon Castle

1.8%
  4. Donovan Clingan

9.2%
  5. Zach Edey

2.8%
  6. Matas Buzelis

2.0%
  7. Rob Dillingham

4.7%
  8. Reed Sheppard

42.7%
  9. Nikola Topić

8.2%
  10. Dalton Knecht

1.0%
  1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

2. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Photo from the combine ...

[​IMG]

3. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I'll take him at about 20 to25. I'll take Edey before him.

3 is plant work.

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

[​IMG]

These Clingan fans are something.

It is incredible….5 short years ago, everyone hated Westbrook, hated the trade, can’t win with him, can’t build around him, can’t have a non-shooter, teams will sag off in the playoffs and now we’re ready to build a team of…

Can’t shoot shooting guard Jalen Green
    Can’t shoot guard/forward Amen Thompson
    Can’t shoot center Sengun
    Want to draft another can’t shoot center in Clingan

Sengun critics: “Sengun is a stiff, can’t shoot, clogs the lane, gets in the way…so I want to draft the 7’2 guys who are stiffs, can’t shoot, clogs the lane, gets in the way but they block some shots!”

Which of Clingan/Sengun reminds you of KAT? (KAT/Gobert)
    Which of Clingan/Sengun reminds you of PJ Washington? (Washington/Gafford or Washington/Lively)
    Which of Clingan/Sengun reminds you of Porzingis/Horford? (Tatum/Porzingis)
    Which of Clingan/Sengun reminds you of Aaron Gordon? (Gordon/Jokic)
    Which of Clingan/Sengun reminds you of Siakam? (Siakam/Turner)
    Which of Clingan/Sengun reminds you of Jaren Jackson Jr.? (Jackson Jr./Aldama?)
    Which of Clingan/Sengun reminds you of Brook Lopez? (Giannis/Lopez)
    Which of Clingan/Sengun reminds you of Julius Randle? (Randle/Hartenstein or Randle/Robinson)

All of these “two-big” lineups you’re fapping to “oooh I wish that was us!”, one of the guys can shoot.

The Cavs are probably gonna break up their two-big lineup. (Allen trade)

Oh, you’re moved by Clingan shooting threes at the combine/in an empty gym?

And which is it? Rockets twitter just said whoever they draft at 3 isn’t gonna play for 2 years anyways.
    Now they need to draft Clingan to be in playoff contention next year?

And for the love of basketball, speak now or forever hold your peace about “just draft BPA”, “just draft the best long term prospect”.

“I wanted Jalen Williams over Jabari!” “I wanted Scottie Barnes instead of Jalen!”

Nice hindsight after the fact.

“Just give me the best player on the board.” Who is the best player? Ask 10 people, get 8 different answers.

“Sarr is the best player.”
    “Sheppard is the best available AND fills a need.”
    “I really like Topic.”
    “Clingan is the best.”
    “Risacher.”
    “In 3-5 years, I see Castle being the best.”
    “How can you pass on Holland?”
    “Devin Carter.”
    “It’s Dillingham.”
    “Buzelis.”
    “Are you gonna make the same mistake with Cody Williams?”

Big Boards:
    Ringer: Sarr-Topic-Castle-Dillingham-Buzelis-Holland-Sheppard-Clingan-McCain-Williams
    ESPN: Risacher-Sarr-Clingan-Sheppard-Buzelis-Castle-Dillingham-Knecht-Topic-Salaun
    Tanakthon: Topic-Risacher-Sarr-Sheppard-Clingan-Dillingham-Castle-Buzelis-Holland-Knecht
    NBADraft.net: Risacher-Williams-Sarr-Sheppard-Knecht-Buzelis-Dillingham-Castle-Holland-Shannon
    Yahoo: Sarr-Risacher-Castle-Buzelis-Holland-Clingan-Sheppard-Salaun-Topic-Dillingham
    CBS: Sarr-Risacher-Castle-Holland-Topic-Buzelis-Sheppard-Knecht-Carter-Salaun
    NBA Big Board: Sarr-Castle-Clingan-Topic-Dillingham-Buzelis-Williams-Sheppard-Tyler Smith-Holland
    Vecenie: Sarr-Topic-Castle-Sheppard-Clingan-Buzelis-Holland-Risacher-Williams-Dillingham
    Hollinger: Holland-Castle-Clingan-Sheppard-Sarr-Topic-Buzelis-Dillingham-Filipowski-Carter
    NBADraftRoom: Sarr-Risacher-Salaun-Castle-Clingan-Williams-Knecht-Missi-Holland-Dillingham
    On3: Sarr-Castle-Risacher-Clingan-Holland-Topic-Knecht-Williams-Sheppard-Collier
    ClutchPoints: Sarr-Risacher-Clingan-Dillingham-Buzelis-Holland-Castle-Topic-Sheppard-Salaun
    Wasserman: Holland-Sheppard-Topic-Sarr-Dillingham-Buzelis-McCain-Collier-Risacher-Castle

I was gonna say there’s one guy in every top three but even then, Sarr was left off two guys top three.

6. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

Yes, the draft is a crapshoot…

7. Reeko

Reeko Member

the cope when it comes to Amen’s jumper is what gets me the most…dudes still talking about putting him at PG…a PG that had more airballs than made threes, has shaky handles, and can’t hit free throws

Josh Giddey went from starter to 10 mpg bench player after the Mavs decided to just stop guarding him and let him shoot destroying OKC’s spacing and making life 10x harder for the other 4 players on the court, and that was with the other 4 guys in the OKC SL being able to shoot…our core is a bunch of weak or non-shooters for the most part

8. awc713

awc713 Member

I think Ive begrudgingly talked myself into Reed Sheppard at 3. He avg’ed 2.5 steals (v exclusive list, only Kidd, Payron, Stockton, CP3, Rondo)…elite shooter…40” vert…exactly what we need…pairs well with Amen & the rest of roster

For UK guards drafted in lottery, 2nd year box plus minus: Reed (projected) 11.4, Murray 9.5, Booker 9.4, Shai 9, Herro 8.9, Fox 8.2, C Wallace 7.7, Dillingham (projected) 6.2, Knight 5.5

Clingan makes sense in that west is a bigs league, and he’s nasty…If he & Sengun can learn to play together + Jabari…could be v solid…but I think Reed is the better fit pick…I don’t think we’re able to trade it for something substantial, unless it’s a pick compilation move which w/e

there’s a lot of interesting prospects…but this is such a weird draft I don’t love the idea of moving down, just take who you like at 3 and get out…we have enough youth in this roster we don’t need a ton of picks this and/or the next few years

Mathloom likes this.
  9. J.R.

J.R. Member

10. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Hyping up the brick castle...

Nothing quite like a defensive minded guard that is uncomfortable behind the arc and frequently outright scared to shoot.

I would genuinely laugh if Stone picked him.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Please don’t compare Giddy to Amen

Giddy is nowhere near the athlete that Amen is

But I get your point tho

Mathloom likes this.
  15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Throw in the Harden fans too. They don't want a prime 27 yr Donovan Mitchell but they're ok with 35 year old max contract over the hill Harden.

JayZ750 likes this.
  16. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I get the criticism of Risachere. Heck I have the same criticism and have gone hit to like warm to hot to “ok” on him.

but at this point it’s impossible to ignore him. He’s putting up REALLY good performances/statlines against top euro league squads. He hits 3s a much needed skill set. He plays defense a requirement for Ime. He’s long talk and decent athletic things that Stone seems to value.

and he just looks like he’s capable of developing more… yet won’t even have to for a few years.

absolutely nothing is guaranteed…. But he seems like Mikal Bridges…. So why trade the 3rd pick plus plus plus for Mikal Bridges.

probably greater than 50% chance he’s taken before 3rd…. But if he’s available hard to see Stone passing on him.

Mathloom, NIKEstrad and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

It would be Bridges and suns picks

18. Reeko

Reeko Member

better athlete or not, the opponent defensive scheme and destruction of spacing will be the same

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

and I’m sure as usual somebody’s gonna rationalize that Ben Simmons problem is that he refused to shoot when even if he was a willing shooter, he’d still brick from the perimeter because his jumper is ass and the defense would still completely ignore him

lane more congested than rush hour on the freeway

Amen sub 70% free throw shooter…Sengun barely 70% from the line…if they drafted Clingan, that’s a sub 60% free throw shooter

team full of bricklayers and non-shooters

xtruroyaltyx, J.R. and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

It feels really lazy if you're most accurate comp are people who are nearly 50 pounds apart...

Can we really not think of any multi-year college defensive monsters who measured 7'2 265+, 7'6 wingspan at the combine? hmmm...

[​IMG]

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

No more players that can't shoot, if you can't shoot you can't be an elite player anywhere...you are a role player, we have too many of those - NEVER has a player been a bad shooter that has developed into a SUPER STAR....not one STINKING time.

Shooting is the most important skill you can have and we should not be looking at anyone that isn't at least a good to great shooter.

I don't give a crap if he is 6'7" with a 8' standing reach - if he can't shoot, he can't be all that important.

DD