1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

OLED, QLED and other TVs - Recommendations and News

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Yung-T, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

[​IMG]

2. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

I finally pulled the trigger on my OLED tv. I decided to go all-in and got a Sony A95L a week ago, HOLY COW! This TV is incredible. The 4K Dolby Vision Atmos stuff on Netflix looks ridiculous. The nature shows are mesmerizing. It tricks my eyes into thinking I’m looking at the real thing. I feel like I went on safari again after watching Our Planet!

$3000 is a lot of money, but I think it’s worth every penny. My old UHD Samsung looks like ancient technology in comparison.

J Sizzle and Ziggy like this.
  3. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Once you go with the OLED you can never go back.

Clutch City1993, Baba Booey and A_3PO like this.
  4. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I went ahead and bought an OLED tv a few years ago and it's been a great TV so far. I still haven't dropped the money for the OLED monitor, though. I was waiting for the latest batch to come out this year, so I'll be hopefully ready in the next couple of months for a purchase on that. Kind of glad I waited, tbh, after seeing some of the ones that have been released so far.

Clutch City1993 and Baba Booey like this.
  5. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I got this white spotlight-like spot in the middle of my Samsung HDTV 4k screen now. Is this fixable? I've never seen this before. It's not that big but it's kind of annoying. Just came out of nowhere.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Sounds like this (and probably #6)? :

Surfguy and ROCKSS like this.
  7. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Taking a HDTV apart and then trying to get it back together is not my idea of a good time. I guess I can live with one spotlight. But, if others fall off, then maybe I will take it apart and give it a try. Else, I'm buying a new HDTV I guess. Seems like a stupid f-ing problem. Reminds me of the problems NASA had trying to get the tiles to stay on the heat shield back in the day. In fact, I have an old Columbia space shuttle heat tile. Maybe I can put it in the HDTV to fix it? ;)

#547 Surfguy, May 9, 2024
    Last edited: May 9, 2024
  8. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

Maybe disable the quick boot option on the Samsung? I had some panels that were failing that caused purple areas on mine, and changing the way the tv booted helped quite a bit.

I just have to reiterate, though…the A95L is freaking ridiculous. It’s made my life richer…lol. It really is awe inspiring, and it’s not just the 4K and Blu Ray stuff. My cable tv looks WAY better. The MLB app looks WAY better. Survivor looks like a different show. It’s the best $3K I have spent. I cannot recommend a tv upgrade enough. If you’re looking to buy yourself a toy, there’s no better option.

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Any OLED laptop recommendations? Need great resolution for my shows

10. Buck Turgidson

Need to get a newer, bigger-ish TV for my Mom...

Any recs? Doesn't need to be fancy, but needs to be nice. Under $1K would be preferable

11. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

How far away does she sit from the TV?

How big is her current TV and does her next TV need to have a much larger screen or is a modest increase in size acceptable?

12. Buck Turgidson

15 feet or so?

It's not huge 42"... she wants to move this one into her bedroom and, thus, get a bigger one for the living room. I'd like to move some artwork around and hang it on the wall, soundbar and all that stuff

13. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

https://www.rtings.com/deals/tv

mikol13 and Buck Turgidson like this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

15. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Can definitely give another vote for OLEDs. I have two.

Sony or LG would be my choice but tech keeps getting better every year.

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You said not fancy though. I only know fancy and they're more than $1k. And either Sony or LG.

Best I can suggest to you is the Samsung Frame. All about looking like art. Subtle. But not ziggy-level picture quality or douche bagery. And not up to Tinmans level of penile size compensation.

But a solid TV nonetheless.

Invisible Fan and Buck Turgidson like this.
  17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The new Tandum OLED on the Ipad Pro's is incredible. I wonder if they will make it to TV's at some point.

18. Buck Turgidson