1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trade 3 for Portland's 7 and 14..........

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mad Cornbread, May 21, 2024.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Was just about to suggest this (34 for 44) as a sweetener in response to @Plowman.

2. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Idk how this would work, but how quickly could the Rockets package the 7th + 14th pick in a bigger deal (like after the draft)?

3. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

To my way of thinking, for the Blazers to move from 7 to 3...getting their target (Clingan?)...It's gotta have more value than 14, as originally discussed here.

Again, my preference is to use 3 and other assets in a move for a veteran stud...while bringing back something in the 10 -12 range also.

4. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

The younger teams are playing for championship now instead of older teams.

5. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

Where are we finding playing time for all these lotto picks? We don't have enough minutes on the roster even before this years draft - drafting two more is a waste of a pick that we don't need.

Astrodome likes this.
  6. lpbman

lpbman Member

The idea is to replace Boban, Bullock, Tate, Nate Hinton, Nate Williams, Jermaine Samuels with guys that eventually take over from Landale, Holiday, Jeff Green role, while being on cheap contracts and ideally putting pressure on the guys in front of them in the rotation. Then we have options like playing our vets fewer minutes or assets in a trade.

" Beginning in the 2017 offseason, NBA rosters expanded from 15 to 17 players with the addition of two spots for players under “Two-Way Contracts.” For the 2023-24 season, each NBA team is permitted to have up to three players under Two-Way Contracts on its roster at any time (in addition to the maximum 15 players under Standard NBA Contracts).

NBA teams may have up to three players under NBA Two-Way Contracts who will spend the bulk of the season in the NBA G League and not more than 50 games with their NBA team. Two-Way players are paid a flat salary equal to 50% of the Minimum Player Salary applicable to a player with zero Years of Service. Only players with four or fewer years of NBA service are able to sign Two-Way Contracts, which can be for either one or two seasons. "

And as unexcited as I am by the prospect of using the 3rd overall pick to fill out the back of the roster, I don't expect a Reed Sheppard to do much more than be better than Aaron Holiday was for us over about the same stretch of minutes Holiday got. So that's nice and all, but that doesn't blow me away with the 3rd pick either. Part of the idea for me is just the Rockets having a good track record with later picks and wanting more swings of the bat. Sengun was the 16th pick, Cam went 20 etc...

snowconeman22 likes this.
  7. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

First off those first six guys you mentioned hardly get minutes so you aren’t really gaining much by drafting a lotto guy to replace Tate’s limited minutes….and while I agree with you about Houston finding value late in the draft - those were considered much stronger draft classes than this one. The reality is there is probably no more than 10-12 guys in this draft who make it to their 2nd contract….and thats really low for a normal draft.

8. BenjaminChen

BenjaminChen Member

Knecht/Dillingham+Ware would be nice,but Portland would think the same way too.

daywalker02 likes this.
  9. Bo6

Bo6 Member

id rather get our first choice than sloppy seconds at #7.

14 is basically a second round pick.

MystikArkitect, Sooty and theDude like this.
  10. Rokman

Rokman Member

I like the idea of getting a second player on a long term contract to grow with the team, but on the other hand, you can't predict what all the other teams are going to do, so in that regard, I'd rather have 1 guy that you know you want long-term and be done with it.

As the saying goes, a bird in hand is worth 2 in the bush.

snowconeman22, Sooty and Bo6 like this.
  11. Rokman

Rokman Member

We could replace those guys with young guys who have experience. These 4 guys are free agents and each could be had on the cheap.

Backup PG - TyTy Washington Jr
    Backup SG - Josh Christopher
    Backup Wing - KJ Martin
    Backup Big - Usman Garuba

Thoughts?

12. MadMax94$

MadMax94$ Member

I have a three team proposal but not sure it works for all teams...

Rockets receive Brogdon & #5 pick

Pistons receive #7 & #14 overall picks (Jeff Green, Tate, salary filler, etc.)

Blazers receive #3 overall & Rockets #44 (plus Evan Fournier)

snowconeman22, Rockets FTW and Rokman like this.
  13. Rokman

Rokman Member

Not bad, not bad.

14. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

This really is the best trade most reasonable trade I’ve seen on the site this year. Brogdon is such a great fit here and one of Topic, Sheppard, or Dillingham will be available at 5 in my opinion.

MadMax94$ likes this.
  15. Rockets FTW

Rockets FTW Member

Idea is there.

Pros are you only have Brogdon for one year and his salary falls off + addition of #5 pick.

Cons are he's only played more than 57 games three times in his 8 year career.

He's not reliable on the availability front.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  16. rhino17

rhino17 Member

That would be a terrible idea

there already isn’t enough room on the roster. Don’t need or want TWO picks.

ipaman likes this.
  17. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Jalen Green, Tate for Malcolm Brogdon and #14

Van-Vleet / Brogdon
    Thompson
    Brooks / Whitmore
    Smith / Eason
    Sengun / Adams

+ #3 & #14, Landale and Jeff