1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kyle Tucker - What's that new contract going to look like?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Plowman, Aug 17, 2023.

1. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Quit torturing yourselves. Crane is not going to offer Kyle Tucker anywhere close to what it would take to keep him.

Astrofan59 and The Beard like this.
  2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Unrealistic to keep them all, unless you get a sweet discount on multiple guys. After all, we let Correa & Springer walk on not that bad of contracts.

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

All I can say is that if Tuck is leaving that it not be to the Yankees, Dodgers or Rangers.

arabrocket and Buck Turgidson like this.
  4. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

I agree it's unrealistic to keep all of them

But Springer was never going to sign here

And it was obvious to most that signing Correa long term would be a terrible decision because of the injuries. Combine that with the fact that we had Pena waiting for the job, that was the easiest decision of them all

I wish we had made a true effort to keep Cole, Uncle Charlie, but at the same time I understand his unwillingness to sign pitchers to crazy contracts

I do not think we will sign Tucker

But it wouldn't totally shock me. Crane has his guys, we just have to hope that Tucker is one of them

Zen Tabak and raining threes like this.
  5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Maybe… but I also never saw him going 5/95 for a closer who’s 30+ with some mileage on him. Tucker is also the youngest and healthiest of any of the other homegrown potential FA’s.

Either he’s just going to try and win and will keep payroll up as long as attendance and revenues are consistent… or he’s looking to sell the team and will ensure it has max potential value prior.

And while he won’t give the lump sum contract (till he does)… if you add up the aggregate of Altuve’s deals and JV’s deals, he’s been far from a cheap-skate/penny pincher. Back in 2016, no Astros fans would have expected him to pony up those sort of deals at any point.

He’s spent more, and extended more, and given more years up front the longer this team’s been successful and the longer he’s grown into being an owner of a successful team.

6. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

Crane will do 1 of 3 things:

1) offer the obligatory 6 yr $180M deal, watch Tucker walk and then say he tried but the team philosophy has worked and won't be compromised.

2) offer a 7 yr $210M deal and say the philosophy stands, but Tucker is specifically worthy of 1 additional year.

3) decide if the window is to stay open, Tucker needs to remain an Astro and actually make offers in line with other organizations and forget about the 6yr nonsense as an absolute rule.

7. Major

Major Member

This is only true if you don't understand how contracts are structured and that players are overpaid in the latter years intentionally in order to sign them under market value in the earlier years.

When you look only at the end of long contractsa and say "see, the player sucks and is overpaid and owners are stupid", you miss the entire point of the contract structure.

Buck Turgidson and cmlmel77 like this.
  8. Major

Major Member

The time to sign Tucker (or any star player) is after a relative down season - but at that point, everyone just wants to trade him and move on (See Alex Bregman). Signing guys after their best seasons is how you end up overpaying people (see Blake Snell - or at least, what fans wanted to pay him).

9. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I understand the theory. I also understand it almost never pays off. This is why it is insanity.

10. BlindHog

BlindHog Member

11. Buck Turgidson

Tucker is the only one of those guys we don't have locked up for many years, so I don't see that as being unrealistic at all