1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hamas attacks Israel: Yom Kippur War, 50 years on

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Oct 7, 2023.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I agree that the protests represent a minority of students. When I went to CAL that was during the Gulf War and Rodney King protests. Protests were large but it wasn't as though the whole school was protests. I will add though that while a minority of students actually protested it certainly did appear that a majority of students supported the protests.

From what I gather currently is that Gaza protests are a distinct minority of students and that opinions overall are likely closely divided between pro-Palestine, Pro-Israel and those not strongly favoring either side.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I would say the most popular opinion of college students is "why are we even supporting Israel".

They view the conflict through the lense of morality rather than strategy of a geopolitical ally. They don't see Israel as this beacon of western values in a sea of barbarism that the establishment (people who unironically hung out with Kissinger because they might he was cool) believe.

That is probably the default opinion of college students. Now that varies between "Israel is commiting a genocide and it is a morale ailing for my government to support it" to "eh Israel does what it does for it's own self interest but I don't really care for US support of it".

The strong hold for Israeli support in college campuses are probably where the frat bros hang out so think of the respective business schools of each campus and that's where you'll probably find most "pro-israeli" college kids. It's going to be the frat bro western chauvnist crowd majoring in business admin or hospitality.

#10542 fchowd0311, May 24, 2024
    Last edited: May 24, 2024
    LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  3. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I strongly doubt Israel is going to stop its campaign in Rafah.

From CNN

What we're covering
    • The United Nations' top court has orderedIsrael to "immediately halt" its military offensive in the southern Gaza city of Rafah, further increasing international pressure on Israel over its war against Hamas.
    • The International Court of Justice (ICJ) made its decision on a request by South Africa, which accused Israel of using forced evacuation orders in Rafah to "endanger rather than protect civilian life." Israel has rejected the allegations. ICJ rulings are final and binding, but the court doesn’t have a mechanism to enforce them.
    • Egypt has agreed to allow UN-provided humanitarian aid through the Kerem Shalom crossing temporarily, according to the US and Egyptian presidents.
    • The bodies of three hostages killed in the October 7 Hamas attack on Israel have been recovered in northern Gaza, the Israeli military said.
    • CIA Director Bill Burns is meeting with top Israeli and Qatari officials in Paris on Friday to try and get a ceasefire and hostage deal between Israel and Hamas back on track, US officials told CNN.

4. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

https://www.ndtv.com/world-news/isr...aping-israeli-woman-killing-her-5734943/amp/1

"I did what I did, I raped her... I threatened her with my gun to take her clothes off, I remember she was wearing jean shorts, that's about it,"
    His 18-year-old son, however, told interrogators that his father killed the woman after they raped her.

"My father raped her, then I did and then my cousin did and then we left but my father killed the woman after we finished raping her," he said in his confession video.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

I wish they'd go about expressing that a little bit better than the are.

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

No you haven't :p.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

This is what the leftists (because they are dumb) and Islamists (because they hate Jews) here support.

8. Buck Turgidson

Same here.

And by the way, we're rednecks around here, hillbillies are Appalachian

9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t think the stronghold of pro-Israel support is limited to “frat boys”. There are many Jewish organizations like Hillel that are pretty strong. because Israel has had close ties with the US and many Israelis either have joint US
    Citizenship or relatives in the US there are many who students who have ties to Israel.

My point is that I don’t think the situation on college campuses is as simple as either “dumb college students protesting” or “students stand up against colonialism.” From what I’ve seen of college students it’s much more mixed like the rest of society.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I disagree. Student Jewish organizations are much smaller than your typical frat full of business majors.

They are usually the most antagonistic towards the student encampments.

11. Buck Turgidson

The major jewish frat at UT threw pretty awesome parties back in the 90's.

That's my only contribution to this discourse.

12. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed. I think there are protesters on both sides that are there for different primary reasons. Some on both sides primarily don't like the tactics of the protesters on the other side or what they've seen of it on social media so they've joined. Others just want to be part of the big scene. Some are driven by issues or their understanding of the issues. Also when students hear stories of what happened unfairly to other students they may go and support the students they felt were treated unfairly.

Even those on both sides that have studied the issues may not really be in unison with ideas of solutions or alternatives. But the media and social media will keep churning the mixture.

13. ROXRAN

That video was hard to watch, I wish I could’ve just swooped in and saved those girls somehow …such a terroristic nightmare.. but I’m glad it’s there to show the true nature of what Hamas is and how it should be dealt with otherwise this is what they want to do every day to every citizen. Hamas should NOT be protected !

the governments of Spain, Ireland, and Norway is an embarrassment but the real diplomats that have relationships with Israel understands the reality and they have bravely spoken out

“I regret having to return to Israel due to some futile decisions adopted by the Spanish government, which will not contribute to peace and security in the Middle East, nor will they facilitate the release of our 128 kidnapped people still in the hands of Hamas.
    Many thanks to all the friends of Israel for their constant support. I hope that the ties of friendship between Israel and Spain are stronger than the voices that aspire to distance us.“

#10553 ROXRAN, May 25, 2024
    Last edited: May 25, 2024
    AroundTheWorld likes this.
  14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

15. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

16. astros123

astros123 Member

You havnt explained why the IDF needs to burn libraries and books for? Do you plan on explaining? Thank you

This wouldn't be happening if they had a state cuz hamas wouldn't be in power and they'd be security forces on the ground. You're unhinged at times

17. astros123

astros123 Member

Without congressional approval? Congress just allocated 9 billion for Palestinians just the other week with super majority support in the house! WTF are you talking about.

Why are right wingers so damn stupid. Can you guys not get all your info from social media. Jesus christ

18. ROXRAN

It's like People forget the government of Gaza is Hamas,. Everything: education, schooling , ministry of disinformation that liberals are so quick to believe, what children are taught ( Which is why I think they honestly need to be deprogrammed ) hospitals, infrastructure, Who gets aid first - beats their own civilians- kills them as well - savage multiple rape of beautiful defenseless teenage Israeli 19 year olds ,... And certain entities want to award this government a "state" - a state of what ? !

a government that desires to kill every Jewish or American for sure

basso and AroundTheWorld like this.
  19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member