1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can Green become Edwards?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, May 4, 2024.

?

Will Jalen Green become as good as Anthony Edwards?

1. Yes

2. No

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We saw Udoka bench him for entire fourth quarters multiple times last year. While the FO might not let him come off the bench, we know Ime is not afraid to curtail his minutes. Last year he had the third lowest TS% on the team (bolstered by Tari’s love for missed layups) while taking the most shots. Either the shooting % has got to go up, or the number of shots has got to come down.
    That’s what it comes down to. And I fully expect Ime to take action once again if his shot selection is hurting the team.

2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Yet somehow has the third best impact on the team's offensive possessions(second if you remove Landale with his limited sample size which results in more noise) only behind FVV and Landale.

Two things can be true at the same time:

Green needs to improve his efficiency

Green even without his individual efficiency is one of the most important players on offense in terms of positive impact because as Stoke said "he has skillsets that aren't replicated on this roster".

What do you think Stone is referring to?

Ya going into his fourth season. For him to solidify himself as a star he needs to up his efficiency. But let's not pretend the dude was a detriment to this offense when it's the complete opposite.

Possum likes this.
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Benching a player in the 4th qtr for playing badly is a world of difference from replacing said player with a guy who plays good for 4 quarters.

clutchdabear and vince like this.
  4. rocketstruther

I also hate this 'we aren't contending anyway so why not give folks more time?' argument. No non-tanking team will let a few players drag down a team for 2 - 3 years unless that player has a really high probability of being a superstar - and that's frankly not where we are right now. That's where JG stans draw the ire of the fanbase - they feel entitled and expect to have everything designed around JG no matter the outcome - damn other players careers, our team reputation causing them to lose all stars nominations or DPOY awards, damn learning how to win or having a few years of solid playoff experience before we become contenders, as long as JG gets his minutes and fame.

The reality is with Jalen it comes down to timing as much as actual performance. This year felt like basically the first year of a good rookie picked at #2. I don't buy the environment argument - Sengun was in the same environment, he moved to an entirely different country at 19 to compete in the best league in the world while not speaking the language, whereas Jalen came with a huge following already and a lot of hype and having made a lot of money already that he could have used to hire private coaches and had all the access in the world to work with and learn from anyone he wanted. Drop this victim narrative. Looking at everything that needs to improve with him, my belief is he's at least a 2 - 3 year long project to be a consistent, reliable contributor next to Sengun a la Jokic and Murray, and unless he doesn't show up significantly better next year, that'll strengthen my belief in that. Can he eventually pop and become a huge star? I'd say the probability isn't zero, but doesn't really matter at this point because you are giving away too much given what we've seen.Thankfully the Spida trade rumors seem to confirm the org thinks that way too - even if they aren't planning to include JG in that trade, that shows they see him as a piece we need to upgrade and are willing to have him come off the bench at the very least.

And you know what's ironic? I think his stans are doing JG a disservice by trying to make him happen in Houston which is a completely emotional response. I think it might be better for him to go to a rebuilding team at this point so that he gets more time and proper starter minutes under less pressure - being traded maybe will hurt him and his stans for a bit but it'll pass. Coming off the bench for years in Houston however will put him in even more of a downward spiral.

All that to say, first half of next season is really critical for him. I don't think he gets another March run opportunity - the org should make a decision by then and stick to it.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

the real question is if Jalen Green can become Tyler Herro…high tier outcome is Zach Lavine

6. J.R.

J.R. Member

Edwards playing like Green :(

7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It is an enigma, you guys actually have veteran posters who should know one or the other thing, stanning.......

And calling themselves eternal optimists, optimists of what? .....only when it comes down to One Player?

You cannot fake that kind of strange commitment.

8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Can Edwards become Luka but that is another stratosphere talk.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I jinxed Edwards LMAO

vince, theDude and daywalker02 like this.
  10. MystikArkitect

Rockets run the dual PG lineup. Win 65 games and run into the KD Warriors.

Mavs run the beat up version of this lineup. Win 50 games and run into KAT and Anthony Edwards.

vince likes this.
  11. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

People just love talking out of their assholes huh?

The only Rocket who made a all-rookie first team since Yao played like his draft position year by his third year if he was a rookie?

Stephen_A likes this.
  12. bustamove

bustamove Member

now entering his 4th season, what significant improvements which impacts the rockets consistently winning since then?

Bobbythegreat likes this.
  13. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

You mean the way Sengun only fans deny that he doesn’t defend well and is an undersized 5?

14. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Edwards played terrible last 2 games. Was quite passive and turned the ball over in critical moments ultimately hurting his team. These are the true tests of players. Let’s not dick ride and crown these guys so fast you terrible inferior minded fake Rocket fans.

15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

This is the issue with many of you who see no good coming from him. Your bias and hate won’t bring you to cheer for him or positively believe in him. Instead your hate and bias and lack of faith has blinded you so much that nothing he can do will satisfy you or make you happy. Nothing. This is deep hatred. It’s exhausting. It’s stupid. It’s sad. It’s a terrible and inferior mindset

Possum likes this.
  16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Specifically cite the “dumb things” in detail in terms of what game what sequence what quarter with analysis on what he is doing wrong and what right looks like to you. I am very interested in your assessment

17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

If Jalen was on the Wolves they would be up 2-0 on the Mavs.

18. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

exactly my point. You and many people hate hate him for reasons outside of basketball and that’s on you. As i said before you people’s hatred is beyond what is actually happening on the court

19. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Go watch his turnovers from last season...majority were unforced

20. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Thats not analysis. And btw he avg less turnovers per game than edwards. And you and people like you act as if star players never turn the ball over or make “dumb plays.” Again his mistakes are magnified by you people. What is actually happening on the court is ultimately deemed negative. And you and people like you can’t even tell me what’s actually happening on the court with in depth analysis. Not one jalen green hater on this site can tell me what right looks like. Not one. Instead you all seem to think like you know all about what he’s doing wrong. But even so no specific analysis on what he’s doing wrong either except general judgement like he has low “iq”. What specifically is he doing wrong and what does high IQ look like?